Kudo's to all the 'ukulele teachers out there!

pekelo

Reaction score
Kudo's for all you ‘ukulele teachers out there!
(have there been any recent postings on teaching like this?)
Over the years, I’ve run the range of offering uke lessons – private, classes (kikaman.com/eugene), workshops & most recently publishing(pekelosbooks.com) but we all know that there are many other great uke teachers out there.

Way back – before the availability of youtube (or UU!), my first uke classes consisted of teaching basic chords & simple strumming.
I’m glad to say that a large handful of my students have moved on to offer their own uke lessons & I’m also fortunate to know many of the teachers in the NW area.
Every-so-often, within the monthly jams, SUPA will have one of the local uke teachers do a small workshop before the jam time.

Good teaching combines a passion for the subject matter along with an amount of teaching ability - a lot of which is format and presentation. A good teacher is worth his/her $salt!
One of my Hawaiian (PhD)teacher/mentors always signs off with -
‘A’ohe pau ‘ike i ka halau ho’okahi - Not all knowledge comes from a single school

Over my course of learning music, I’ve had many classes, workshops, private lessons, formal school classes & worked through many music books. My younger music years consisted of mostly classical guitar training & now I feel fortunate to condense and apply much of what I’ve learned to my uke books.

For those out there who might consider giving teaching a try, by all means – go for it! It’s great to see students progress in their playing ability & it also makes a good personal learning experience:D
Along with the logistics and business side of things, the first step is to design your curriculum from what you know & much of the rest is your own format and presentation.
I used a small amp & passed out 8.5 x 11 sheet handouts in my first classes.
Youtube versions make learning more convenient but small classes help to facilitate easier Q&A discussions. Thankfully, there’s also a lot of informal teaching that goes on.

Kudo’s to the many uke teachers out there – you make playing the uke all the more fun!
pekelo

pekelosbooks.com
My first classes were at kikaman.com/classes – these were cheap
I also posted up lessons a while back – seattleukulele.org/lessons – these were free!

kamaka, martin & mele tenors

Top Bottom