Requesting MODS to lock old threads

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello everyone

If you have an old thread, it would be great if you send a pm to the mods to lock it.

I know our mods are doing a great job reviewing threads but it is impossible to review ALL THREADS.

I know as a searcher, I get all excited finding a thread for a uke and get disappointed reading that it's already been sold. Secondly, it would shorten the searches. I'm guilty of it myself so I requested the mods to close 3 threads...shame on me.

Just a thought

I basically agree with you.

But in vBullletin it is a very simple matter for an administrator to set permissions for individual forums (i.e., Marketplace) that would allow the OP to close their own threads. That could be added to the "READ BEFORE POSTING" Marketplace thread... "When your item(s) are sold, please close your thread by going to Thread Tools/Close Thread" or whatever the path/terminology is in this version of vBull.

What I find a bit perturbing is the trend for moderators to "bump" threads by posting "I'm locking this because it's sold." Wouldn't it be enough to add "SOLD" to the thread title, lock it, and just let it slide off the cracker instead of bumping it to the top of the list? Do we need to see a bunch of locked threads on the first page just because a moderator bumped them all?

I've made the recommendation to add a lock button so mods don't need to manually do it. However, they are very responsive when you do send a PM.

What would also help is that once a thread is locked, it get's archived into another folder to decluster the marketplace. That way we don't see a bunch of locked threads.

Last edited:
I basically agree with you.

But in vBullletin it is a very simple matter for an administrator to set permissions for individual forums (i.e., Marketplace) that would allow the OP to close their own threads. That could be added to the "READ BEFORE POSTING" Marketplace thread... "When your item(s) are sold, please close your thread by going to Thread Tools/Close Thread" or whatever the path/terminology is in this version of vBull.

What I find a bit perturbing is the trend for moderators to "bump" threads by posting "I'm locking this because it's sold." Wouldn't it be enough to add "SOLD" to the thread title, lock it, and just let it slide off the cracker instead of bumping it to the top of the list? Do we need to see a bunch of locked threads on the first page just because a moderator bumped them all?

The big prominent lock icon is a fairly obvious clue that the item has been sold. While threads do get bumped, it's certainly less frequent than the "Oooo... I want it but I can't afford it" bumps that commonly occur. Top/Bottom order is little indication of relevance.

That said, I agree - shooting a PM to one of us will help.

The big prominent lock icon is a fairly obvious clue that the item has been sold. While threads do get bumped, it's certainly less frequent than the "Oooo... I want it but I can't afford it" bumps that commonly occur. Top/Bottom order is little indication of relevance.

That said, I agree - shooting a PM to one of us will help.

I wonder what phrases are used more to bump the thread. 1) I want it but can't afford it 2) Great looking uke 3) I would have bought your uke if I didn't but one yesterday. 4) Great price, should sell quickly

As a seller, you appreciate the constant bumps as long as it doesn't get side tracked or worse, someone comments about the price being too high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom