My 1st Solid Wood Uke for under $400. Any Suggestions?

Leodhas

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a number of ukes but they are all laminate ones. The best uke I own is a kala KA-T. I also have a Oscar Schmidt Concert which is fantastic for the money (I have never spent more than £100 ($160/70) on a uke but now I want to get my first solid wood.

I'm basically looking to spend no more than $400. Any suggestions ?

It has to be a concert or tenor.

(this purchase my go out the window if the world goes into financial melt down again)

(noticed how i used dollars as a respective tip of the hat to all the Americans out there)

Off hand I'd say $400 could get you quite a bit. Ukerepublic has several solid wood ukes for $400 or less, including a Big Island solid koa concert for just over $400. Along with Mainland you could consider Islander or Pono (the Kanile'a and Ko'oloau sencond levels, respectively). And, if you're open to pre-owned, there are even more options. Heck, I lucked out and found a beautiful solid koa aNueNue tenor for about $250, and I'm impressed by it every day!

I don't know how much concerts cost but I bought a wonderful solid *koa* soprano uke from Duane at Black Bear Ukes for under $400. If you had to pay slightly more than that amount for a Black Bear Koa it would definitely be worth it. Duane is a great builder and the construction of the ukes, including fan bracing, are only to be found on much more expensive ukes. Oh, and I am no relation and have no commercial interest in the firm. Black Bear is at www.blackbearukuleles.net/index.html .

I don't know how much concerts cost but I bought a wonderful solid *koa* soprano uke from Duane at Black Bear Ukes for under $400. If you had to pay slightly more than that amount for a Black Bear Koa it would definitely be worth it. Duane is a great builder and the construction of the ukes, including fan bracing, are only to be found on much more expensive ukes. Oh, and I am no relation and have no commercial interest in the firm. Black Bear is at www.blackbearukuleles.net/index.html .

I bought a soprano from him and it is an amazing uke. It has a very full sound with a surprising amount of low-end for a soprano and the wood is beautiful.

Has to be a concert as i have big navvy hands and need at least that size for pure comfort. Looks like they don't do anthing above a soprano.

I have played a Mainland and was well impressed with it. Set up was perfect right out of the box and it was very nice to look at. Seems a great price for what you get

You might want to check out Sailor brand ukulele too. They're right in your price range and offer luthier-built instruments in the US. UkeRepublic has them at $369. I have nothing bad to say about my Mainland, except that the intonation gets a little wonky over the 7th fret. I've got a mahogany, but the red cedar would also be a good choice.

Duane Heilman

Has to be a concert as i have big navvy hands and need at least that size for pure comfort. Looks like they don't do anthing above a soprano.

Duane is a custom builder so I would contact him and see if he'll build you a concert sized uke and how much it will cost. cheers, g2

I have an Ohana CK-35 concert uke, all solid mahogany, very nice fit and finish, intonation is dead on, played really well out of the box and didnt even really need a set up, and now that i have Worth browns on it (replaced the stock Aquilas it came with), it sounds wonderful. They cost $220 new, and in my opinion are well worth it for the money. My other uke is a Koaloha concert, and although they both sound VERY different (the Koaloha is very bright and sweet, while the Ohana is a bit more subdued and nellow, which is what you'd expect from mahogany) and the Koaloha cost a lot more, i still consider the Ohana a keeper. I like the Ohana so much eventually I am going to pick up an Ohana CK-38.

Last edited:
I just bought my first solid wood uke, a Pono tenor, for just a tad over $400 (it came with a hard case) that I'd deffinately recommend. It has a very mellow tone. Good luck in your search.

I would recommend a Mele solid mahog tenor, mainland red cedar tenor, and then the Honu/Big Island Mahog and pono ones that are right there in the price range.

You might want to check out Sailor brand ukulele too. They're right in your price range and offer luthier-built instruments in the US. UkeRepublic has them at $369. I have nothing bad to say about my Mainland, except that the intonation gets a little wonky over the 7th fret. I've got a mahogany, but the red cedar would also be a good choice.

How did I forget the Sailor Brand uke? I love them and one day, I will have one.

I too would recommend Mainland. If you go to their site www.mainlandukuleles.com they currently list the solid mahogany, cedar/rosewood and solid mango models as all being in stock. I have one of their cedar/rosewood pineapples and love it. Great tone, well built and perfect intonation. I'm seriously considering one of their mangos. Either a concert or a pineapple.

I really like my Pono, which was around $350 and is solid mahogany. all the suggestions here are great though. with that budget, you've got LOTS of choices :)

How about Kala Solid Acacia Tenor or Concert both are under 400
:D
Aloha leodhas!
If haven't already picked up a solid wood ukuele yet, I would suggest a Kala KA ASAC-T Solid Acacia Tenor here. They are difficult to locate and when you do find one, you best purchase it straight away!

Mason671

Top Bottom