Recommended amp for my uke ?

Johnny's Rash

Reaction score
Wondering what amp one would recommend for my Lanikai CK-TEQ? Pretty sure I'd like 2 channels (mic & instrument) and don't want to spend a ton. Suggestions! Thanks!

I love my Roland Micro Cube ,small , not very expensive and very funny.
Roland_Micro_cubase_guitare_XL.jpg

intro_L_M.jpg

I have a Roland Cube, CM-30. We use it for gigs and it has plenty of power even for a small church, dining room, etc.. We use it for our gig backups for singing, flute, and/or trumpet. It works great for a uke also. I think that Guitar Center and Sweetwater have them. Had it for years and no problems. Very portable.

Size of amp depends where and with whom you will play, how much quality you demand in the sound, etc. From the little Roland up to an acoustic amp made for gigging. $75 to $300 more or less

If you don't mind an amp that sounds bluesy and dirty you can look at smokeyamps.com. they're around $30 and were originally made to fit into empty cigarette packs. I've played medium sized rooms with a guitar plugged into a smokey in my pocket.

It isn't a subtle or pure tone, though

As people have said, the Roland stuff is great. I have the big boy - the 90 watt acoustic one (AC-90) and it is killer. There is also a new Fishman Loudbox Mini or something that might be in your price range. The little Roland AC-33 gets rave reviews too.

A couple of things about acoustic amps. You pay for more wattage (volume/headroom). You get what you pay for. The high end acoustic amps really are high end. And the Micro Cube (I have one)... works... But it's really not that great once you learn what can be learned from it (about the basics of plugging in, effects, gain, tone, etc).

Keep in mind though that your signal starts at the pickup. If your pickup is low-end you'll be fighting an uphill battle (I did for a long time even with a Kamaka).

Another vote for the Micro Cube, I love mine but I don't play in public so it has plenty of output for what do. I really like that I can plug an MP3 or CD player into it and play along, and if the mood strikes plug in my headphones and play away in the middle of the night. I also have a Honeytone that I really like since I can clip it to my belt and wander around the yard, and at about $20 they are hard to beat.

I went through this search and opted for the Fishman Loudbox mini, a no frills, 60 w, 2 channel amp. got mine on a price match from Musicians friend for about 260 shipped. I don't think you can do better in a 2 channel for the $. very clean, no hiss sound, chorus and reverb, and surprisingly loud for it's size. I like it.

If you don't mind an amp that sounds bluesy and dirty you can look at smokeyamps.com. they're around $30 and were originally made to fit into empty cigarette packs. I've played medium sized rooms with a guitar plugged into a smokey in my pocket.

It isn't a subtle or pure tone, though

I'm thinking of getting either the Smokey or Supro for my Eleuke. Which is better? The Super has 'higher gain', as a total noob I'm clueless. I think it'll have higher volume? Thanks!

I just got a Kala Roundabout for the folk group I play in. If anything, I need just a little extra to have the uke sit better with the guitars. I am using a soundhole mic from GHS to amplify my Kala, and the sound is very true to what the uke sounds like acoustically. It's taken a little time to get their holder to work (it's built for an acoustic guitar with strap buttons), but it does the job fairly well.

If I need some real power behind it, I can always plug it into my PJB Briefcase, which works wonderfully with uke (I had to run the Boulder Creek through it for a musical production in May).

http://www.rolandus.com/community/insider/article.php?ArticleId=104

My guess this is more what you need its also a roland but has a mic and guitar input with seperate effects,

I have the Bass RX and its an amazing little amp!! Its all I need cause I sure don need to amp this voice.

If I didn't already have the CM-30, I would get the Cube Street. I like the battery power idea for when you don't want to mess with chords. I can play our mp3 player off of battery also, so we could setup anywhere without having to worry about an AC outlet. Probably wouldn't use battery power very often, but it's a nice feature to have.

I'm thinking of getting either the Smokey or Supro for my Eleuke. Which is better? The Super has 'higher gain', as a total noob I'm clueless. I think it'll have higher volume? Thanks!

I emailed zinky with the above question and quickly got a nice reply, pasted below (without permission). I'm gonna get a Smokey. Maybe later I'll plunk down the funds for the Roland Micro Cube.

"The Smokey would be better if you aren't looking for a distorted, rock n roll lead guitar sound out of your uke, but if you are, the Supro will handle that nicely. The Smokey is the less distorted, more "normal" sounding amplifier. That said, there still is distortion on the Smokey if the instrument volume is turned all the way up. However, if you lower the level of the instrument volume knob, it will clean up to a natural, undistorted sound.

This is a 2" speaker. You're not going to able to play over a bar full of loudly speaking people with only a 2" speaker! But you WILL be able to sing along and be heard with it.

Ok, ENJOY!"

I've played the larger roland acoustics....in the 400 dollar range and they are amazing...they also make one with a battery for outdoor jamming...though i imagine its a little more than you'd want to spend...

:drool:The Roland AC-33 acoustic amp uses 8 AA batteries that will power it at 20 watts for 8 hours, or an ac adapter at 30 watts when you've got electricity. You can plug a mic in as well, so you can play and sing. I got mine for $339 last month at samedaymusic.com, but, I had found a lower price at another website after I had paid the initial $399. Hunt the web, because you'll find it at one these 'shady' websites, but one of the good websites (Sam Ash, Elderly, etc.) will match it if you send them a link, because it's their policy. They're good little amps. Good volume, very little feedback, and has some nice effects. Even has a phrase looper that you can play 40 seconds of music to play back. My only complaint is the mesh in front of the speakers is just flimsy cloth. My wife and I run a girl scout troop and it's loud enough to not be drown out by 12 little voices when we sing girl scout songs.:D

Top Bottom