Hello hello! Soon-to-be Uker from Northern VA

mozetti

Reaction score
I've been lurking for about a week, so I figured it was time to introduce myself. I've been reading a lot of the very informative threads here on the UU forums and am happy I found this while researching the model of uke to buy.

I'll be getting my first uke soon, a Kala Makala Soprano (Model MK-S), as soon as my Amazon.com gift card arrives in the mail. I used to play saxophone in middle school (20+ yrs ago), so I'm not completely new to music. But it's been a long time and I've never played a stringed instrument before. I already have the Uke Boot Camp downloaded and I figure that'll be the best way to get started.

I have 2 young boys and think it's important for them to grow up with music in their lives. But, having 2 kids also means money and time both have to be budgeted prettly carefully. I had thought about learning guitar but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on an instrument I don't know how to play yet. I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan and Eddie Vedder's album, Ukulele Songs, pushed me in this direction. I was actually very surprised at how affordable a decent uke was after I started looking around.

Anyhow, there's my long, drawn-out intro. I look forward to learning a lot here from all the great users.

One final note. If anyone has experience with the Kala Makala Soprano (Model MK-S), please chime in. From what I've read online, it's a decent uke and sounds pretty good for an entry-level instrument.

Thanks,

Lou

Welcome to UU. Trust me, I've been glued to UU since I found it and learned so much since. Lots of great people here willing to help.

I was about to buy the MK-S as well but ended up with the Kala KA-S instead for $20. more which came with Aquila strings. Not sure if it's any better built over the MK-S but a little more work went into the KA-S with the bindings etc. Not sure if Mahogany laminate is any better than Agathis laminate as used in the MK-S. At the time, they both sounded pretty similar to me, I'm no pro and probably tone deaf. :p

Hi Lou - welcome! I'm also a new uker in Northern Virginia. I'm enjoying the NVUE meetings (NoVA Ukulele Ensemble). Check them out via meetup.com. Hope to see you soon! Oh, and don't forget about the Strathmore 8/24 Fest and the attempt to break the world record.

Welcome to UU! I love the Makala line of ukuleles! Except I have a concert, the sopranos seemed just a little too small for my liking and I liked the tone of the concert better. That's just personal preference. Anyway, Makala is definately a good choice. I had my Makala for a whole year before buying another uke and I still play the Makala almost everyday. Have fun with your new uke!

Welcome, glad you could join us. I found Uncle Rod's stuff helpful myself.

Hi Lou,
You might consider getting the Daily Ukulele songbook. It's got a bunch of kid songs that your youngsters would enjoy hearing you play!

Welcome to UU!

Top Bottom