Opinions on Concert Ukulele Choice

lookingforcurly

Reaction score
I am considering a concert size ukulele just to have an alternative to my tenors and also to have one ukulele with a high G. My tenors are a Kanile'a and 2 Ponos. Looking for a less expensive concert, but not real low end. Currently considering a Big Island gloss mahogany, a Pono MC, and a Kala spalted maple. I previously had a tenor Kala spalted maple. it was quite loud, a slight bit bright, intonation was acceptable and it was sure nice to look at. Any thoughts on the relative merits and value of these three: Big Island gloss mahogany, a Pono MC, and a Kala spalted maple. Also considering a Koaloha concert, but since this will not be my main ukulele, I would prefer to not spend as much.

Thanks

Preference more than anything else. I've played Big Island Concert (Koa) and the Pono MC and you can't go wrong. The only thing I want to mention is that the Ponos have thicker necks and lower frets. Reminds me much more of a guitar, which I don't mind since I crossed over but my bro-in-law had a hard time getting clear bar chords. I know you are aware since you have 2 ponos already but bringing it up for others reading this thread.

I'd recommend (as I just have in another thread) that you check out www.mainlandukuleles.com. For less than $300 they have a number of concerts available. They're all solid wood and you have a choice of finish and tuner types. Great customer service and do great setup work.

on another thread i recommended an Ohana CK-35. I really like mine. all solid mahogany, and can be had for just over $200.

I have a Big Island Honu traditional koa tenor that I love. My co-worker recently bought a Kala solid acacia concert that she completely loves. (I have a Kala solid acacia tenor, and I agree!) I prefer the sound of my BI Honu solid koa tenor to my Kala solid acacia tenor, but that may just be personal preference.

With your current stable, why not string up one of the Pono's with high G for under $10?

Throwing that advice away, I'm partial to the Mainland Red Cedar Concert. I really like the feel of the neck. It's thin, depth wise, and to me has one of the best feels in terms of ratio to the rest of the body. Almost feels like a guitar shrunk proportionally which works for me. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea with some folks preferring chunkier necks, but as a reformed guitarist, I like it. Sounds great and I've yet to find a uke that changes personalities so dramatically with various string changes. Right now it's rocking' Fremont Blacks which make it ring bell-like. Loud with sustain. For mellower warmer tones, try the Worth Browns or Ko'olau Mahana. I've played the Mainland Mahogany and it's awesome too, I just don't have one.

I'm gonna vote with mds and nongdam I have the Hono traditional concert all i can say is wow it is dynamite looking with a dramatic finish and some of the prettiest koa you will see. it rings like a bell and has unreal sustain. Very nice uke, the action was a bit and i do mean a bit high for me and im awful fussy so its in the shop this week. other than that if uas strikes again i'll prob start looking for its big brother (tenor) same style .

<<With your current stable, why not string up one of the Pono's with high G for under $10?>>

Good question. I want to try a concert size. Also, I am selling one of the Ponos. Both have pickups and I use them plugged in gigging. the Kanile'a is my at home ukulele. So I need one tenor with pickup and low G.

Top Bottom