How does my Ukulele sound?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new ukulele player and new to this site. I just started playing ukulele this Summer, having a blast with it.
I have a VERY VERY cheap ukulele that is slightly classed up with Aquilas. Haha.

But I do want to go to a real store, try out some ukuleles, not necessarily to buy one immediately, to get a feel for other ukuleles. Mine is currently Soprano, and I'd like to try out the other sizes. I'm mostly interested in concert, but I'm babbling.

I'm very curious to know how my ukulele REALLY sounds. I don't yet have an ear to tell beautiful vs. cheap. I can tell VERY VERY cheap but my ears aren't keen enough yet to know. I know it's obviously no luthier made masterpiece but is it terrible?

So, how DOES my ukulele sound?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/azrjff8955s3u6e/Ukulele.mp3
(I was going to upload it to the site but it has less than a megabye limit)

I made that in a bit of a haste, sorry for the mistakes. Just played a bit to try and display it's sound.

Thank You!

sounds like an " okay" ukulele. I mean sound is really subjective to you, the player. Also it's the player too. If you are not happy then, save up for something that you'll want to play everyday. Try out some ukuleles at local music stores. Or, look at sound samples from youtube. Anyways i think the uke sounds okay with not the most perfect intonation but, hey that's my opinion. :D

What brand and model is it?
I might be able to tell, I've Played a couple ukes.
Keep in mind that recordings of ukuleles won't sound exactly the same unless you have a really expensive mic.

Wish I could sound that good. The uke sounds OK but your playing puts me to shame after trying for six months. Congrats!

You know what, I don't know if I can really be of any help to you but it is an interesting exercise for me. I don't trust my ear and I don't feel like I am very good at assessing the sounds so this felt like a great practice test for me. But, I have had my hands on some really fine ukes lately and my taste keeps maturing and changing. Also, you played well but not great, no offense, because I found that easier to assess the uke. I felt I was just hearing the uke and not the expertise of someone who can make any uke sound good.
I thought it was very sweet sounding, I liked the sound and tone. Picking was very pretty. The strumming sounded muddy. That a better uke would give you more distinction between chords while strumming. What uke was it?
Now if someone could grade my test.....

sounds like an " okay" ukulele. I mean sound is really subjective to you, the player. Also it's the player too. If you are not happy then, save up for something that you'll want to play everyday. Try out some ukuleles at local music stores. Or, look at sound samples from youtube. Anyways i think the uke sounds okay with not the most perfect intonation but, hey that's my opinion. :D

I have been looking around. I think I'll head over to the shop some day and try out a few. I plan on looking for something that sounds fuller yet sweeter, and I mainly want to look for large play-ability for me. I'll be like Goldilocks and try out as many as I can till I find one that's just right. :)

If the intonation sounds off, its because it is very off. On the first fret it's beautiful, but at the 14th fret, I could probably fit two nickels, and maybe even a dime. I need to fix the bridge's height with a sander one of these days.

What brand and model is it?
I might be able to tell, I've Played a couple ukes.
Keep in mind that recordings of ukuleles won't sound exactly the same unless you have a really expensive mic.

Yeah, I listened to it a few times myself, and it sounds quite similar but with the loss of a little tone.

I wanted to keep it hushhush until people responded so I shall tell it now.
It's a Mahalo Pink Electric Flying V. It's amazing in so many ways, except maybe quality, but it's not awful, especially for someone who wasn't sure if they were going to take the instrument seriously.
Now that I do, I think I'll upgrade, probably to a Kala or something similar. Nothing in HUGE expense though.
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/UnknownToaster21/PinkUke.jpg
^Didn't embed it because it's a bit large of a picture. Not huge though.
Wish I could sound that good. The uke sounds OK but your playing puts me to shame after trying for six months. Congrats!
Well I haven't been playing long so anything I can play you can play with some practice! But thank you, what parts did you think sounded nice?
You know what, I don't know if I can really be of any help to you but it is an interesting exercise for me. I don't trust my ear and I don't feel like I am very good at assessing the sounds so this felt like a great practice test for me. But, I have had my hands on some really fine ukes lately and my taste keeps maturing and changing. Also, you played well but not great, no offense, because I found that easier to assess the uke. I felt I was just hearing the uke and not the expertise of someone who can make any uke sound good.
I thought it was very sweet sounding, I liked the sound and tone. Picking was very pretty. The strumming sounded muddy. That a better uke would give you more distinction between chords while strumming. What uke was it?
Now if someone could grade my test.....
No offense taken, in fact criticism helps me, I want to get better, especially because I started not long ago at all. :) BUT in my offense, at one place I do have an excuse. At the faster picking area, I was sight reading because the song was like pages of tablature so I couldn't begin to remember it after playing for the first time a few minutes earlier, so I chose a spot and sight read that part.
The strumming sounding muddy is most likely my fault because I have been strumming differently than most do, and I am trying to switch because the other type sounds nicer.

If you felt it was not at its potential someone could make it, it's probably because I've never been bothered to make it sound sweeter because it is a cheap ukulele, I changed the strings though, I added new tuners that hold tuning a bit better as well. The bridge needs to be fixed because the intonation is fairly high, but I DO plan on fixing that. And I made it electric for no known reason! But it helps so much more when tuning because I can use my amps chromatic tuner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom