Gypsy Jazz ( Django Reinhardt) on the uke

mentalfloss

Reaction score
Any Gypsy Jazz instruction for the uke?
I have done some searches but have not found anything. I would think that it would sound great on the uke!
Thanks for your help:nana:

You can find the chords for minor swing all over the place as well as numerous guitar tabs.

Check here to see what can be done with the tune on uke.

Maybe one of the clever tabbers can do something with that vid. Looks like he only goes up over the 12th fret once, for that last chord, so with a little twiddling even us soprano players might be able to use it.

You picked a good topic. Check out Brook Adams' recordings of Djangology and J'Attendre here: free streaming mp3's! http://www.brookadams.com/evil-ukeCD.html

The head for Djangology is easy, just find a guitar tab of it and play it on ukulele on the same frets. It'll be in a different key from Django's recording, but it's better that way on the uke. Brook's uke must be tuned higher, as it sounds half a step higher than that way. Ignore it, play it in the key below. The chords are

Part A
1st ending 0000
2nd ending 0003

Part B

Play Part A again, second ending.

Repeat the whole progression, going right back into part A, 1st ending, for solos. Finish by playing the original melody for the whole head again.

J'Attendre is written for guitar and violin, so Brook has tweaked the arrangement for uke.

Two great Gypsy jazz tunes. Brook's solos are tricky, but hey, make up your own if you can't figure them out.

Last edited:
Hey,
I live near Tonganoxie and play a bit of Gypsy Jazz among other things on uke and harmonica (rather than guitar and violin). How about you?

thanks for the tab!

Jazz uke? Change the strings, play violin music

You can fit GDAE strings, Aquila make some really nice nylgut ones, available online from Elderly Instruments in the US.

They're made for soprano, on my concert I tune it to EBFsharpCsharp (sorry no hash-tags on this keyboard). It sounds great and fits with guitar accompaniment pretty well.

And then you can play any music written for violin, and leave the rhythm stuff to the guitar etc! Some transposition issues admittedly...

Top Bottom