PDA

View Full Version : Kanile'a K1 Tenor review

bazmaz
08-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Delighted with my new uke and written up a review

Enjoy!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/kanilea-k-1-tenor-ukulele-review.html?spref=fb

lookingforcurly
08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I got a new Kanile'a K-1 deluxe gloss tenor two weeks ago and agree with your comments. I have yet to replace the Aquilas but that is a near term priority. I will replace them with Ko'olau Mahanas. I did replace the high G with low G immediately and this really added warmth and depth to a great sound already. Can't say enough good about this instrument. Love it.

Mouthy1
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I have Southcoast Heavy on mine and wow it is amazing!

iDavid
08-08-2011, 12:46 AM
I have the same uke and put Worth Clears on right away. After about a year I put Aquila back and I can't believe how good they sound. It took a few weeks for the K1 to really open up and it just keeps getting better.

I am pretty sure Kanike'a only puts carbon fiber in the six and eight string Ukes.

If you like your K1 now, just wait a bit, you are in for a really nice ride.

bazmaz
08-16-2011, 11:37 PM
An update to my review having now been playing it constantly!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/kanilea-k-1-tenor-ukulele-update.html

Ron98GT
08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Look forward to your review of the D'addario Pro Artes on the K-1.

jayavant
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I made a comment on your blog but will repeat it here.

I have handled the kanile'a tenor, with a re-entrant tuning and loved it. At the same sitting I also played a ko'aloha tenor which was unfortunately in low G tuning - so it was difficult to compare them.

I am wondering about which I prefer still - will probably buy one or the other before long.

bazmaz
08-25-2011, 03:19 AM
I put a reply on blog. Basically doubt there is much in it. Plusses and minuses to both.

Kanaka916
08-25-2011, 03:50 AM
I got a new Kanile'a K-1 deluxe gloss tenor two weeks ago and agree with your comments. I have yet to replace the Aquilas but that is a near term priority. I will replace them with Ko'olau Mahanas. I did replace the high G with low G immediately and this really added warmth and depth to a great sound already. Can't say enough good about this instrument. Love it.
How do you like the Mahanas? Are you using the all nylon set or the ones with wounds?

hapuna
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree that the Kanile'a is one of the best stock ukuleles out there. My only disagreement with you is that you should have gotten that beautiful UV finish. Not for the gloss but for the great look and protection. This is the same process used by Taylor guitars(they learned it from Taylor).

An update to my review having now been playing it constantly!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/kanilea-k-1-tenor-ukulele-update.html

bazmaz
08-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Hapuna - just don't like gloss. All those fingerprints, all that polishing....

zac987
08-26-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm really tempted to get one of these now... Could you maybe post a sound clip / video? :)

strumsilly
08-26-2011, 02:21 AM
I made a comment on your blog but will repeat it here.

I have handled the kanile'a tenor, with a re-entrant tuning and loved it. At the same sitting I also played a ko'aloha tenor which was unfortunately in low G tuning - so it was difficult to compare them.

I am wondering about which I prefer still - will probably buy one or the other before long.

Haven't had the pleasure to play a Kanile'a but I'm loving my Koaloha tenor and have played a Kamaka tenor. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. It would be nice to try the actual instruments side by side and then decide, but that's probably not possible. I never got to try mine till it arrived , but it's a sweet one.

mile38
08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Beautiful instrument to look at, and sound is decent, but is not sharp, crisp, clear. Sold it and am waiting for a new Martin tenor ukulele.

bazmaz
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Mine is totally clear. Lovely wide tonal range and every note sings in a chord.

Ron98GT
08-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Beautiful instrument to look at, and sound is decent, but is not sharp, crisp, clear. Sold it and am waiting for a new Martin tenor ukulele.

Every time I read this I'm bewildered. The Kanilea's in general are known for their distinctive/clear guitar quality regarding individual notes (reminds me of a Taylor guitar: sharp, crisp, clear, and stand-out from other instruments being played). In the following clip by Aldrine, listen to the notes/tone across the fretboard. Very dinstinctive and guitar like (but not Martin like, more like a Taylor).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrfm6KGSOoM

Whereas Martins are more subtle, mellow, & subdued: the instrument doesn't stand-out, but blends-in. Now granted, wood-is-wood, each uke will have is own tonal characteristics, and some K-1's have been reported as sounding dull. But, did you try changing strings before selling it? Did you try the D'Addario J71's on it? Did you try the D'Addario classical guitar strings that Aldrine uses on it? Did you play high-G or Low-G? Hopefully, you got to play the Martin before you purchased it. Not trying to pick a fight, but just asking. :shaka:

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread :music:

bazmaz
08-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Ron98 - no worries. I too was confused by Mile38's comment. Mine is the exact opposite!

Ron98GT
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Ron98 - no worries. I too was confused by Mile38's comment. Mine is the exact opposite!

Thanks,

If he wants to brighten it up, he should go with a spruce top:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52295-My-Kamaka-HF-3-amp-Custom/page2

Mouthy1
08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, their is nothing I have heard or played that has the clarity and brilliance of a kanilea Tenor. Very distinctive and I sold 5 ukes as soon as I got mine. Nothing sounds good anymore but it.

Ron98GT
08-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks, now if I can just get the final details of my custom tenor worked out with Joe, I can get it ordered. :drool:

And then the 10 week wait. :wallbash:

bazmaz
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Put the D'addario J71 Pro Arté's on it today. Still working out my thoughts. Plusses and minuses, but mainly plusses. Quality strings for sure.

bazmaz
08-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Initial D'Addario test thoughts. Nice strings, but with drawbacks

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/d-pro-arte-j71-tenor-string-test-on.html

BasuraPlaya
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you for this review! I have been running around California trying to find any store that carries K-'Ukes. I finally got my hands on a used K2 that I was able to play next to a Kamaka HF3. My (humble) opinion? The Kanile'a (with the orignial Aquilas) had so much more voice and clarity than the Kamaka. I wanted a low-G and a more mellow sound, but I knew I could change the strings for that. But even after playing with that sweet K2, I worried that it just a especially good example. Now I know it's a Kanile'a for me! Last note - I had a long talk with Ken Cameron of Hilo Guitars & 'Ukuleles and his opinion is: Get the curly koa and UV finish option for $300 less than the K2. Its so damn pretty you'll never miss the binding.