Boat Paddle Custom M

freackykit

Reaction score
Regarding the review at

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...m-M-style-Review&p=741207&posted=1#post741207

Dunno whether to love you for the review...or hate you for starting my UAS spiralling in a direction I hadn't seen before!

Not honestly I was really taken by the review and thought they had a great look - especially the custom M!

Just wondered though since it is the first time I have looked at them, how they rate with other high end customs in rate of tone and projection!

Come on guys help me out here and chuck in your buck lol!

As always thanks for the review and thanks for any comments which may follow,

Chris

P.S. I initially posted this in the review section under the review but then thought since it was more of a chat and wasn't part of the review, posted it here...Hope this is the right place

I like my Boat Paddle Custom M-Style an awful lot. It's not as bright as my KoAloha concert but it plays smooth and has a nice mellow tone. When I got it I did notice a little buzz on the open C string when I layed into it...I put in a shim under the nut and it's fixed the problem. Jerry is a great guy to work with too.

In fact, my uke is features a few times on the Boat Paddle website. In the picture next to the M-Style description on this page, mine is the fully pictured uke. There are also a couple of photos of it in the slideshow at the bottom of that same page. Lastly, on the design page, all the pictures from the "Building an M style concert" section are from my build.

Do I like it more than some of my other customs...no, but it still is a fantastic instrument. All my friends have told me that it's the coolest looking uke I have.

I did a comparison between my Boat Paddle and my KoAloha concert a little while ago. You can see it here. Here's another video I did playing "Blue Shadows" from the Three Amigos.

Last edited:
I owned a prototype tenor in the original shape, and Jerry requested to exchange it for an improved mahogany model. sold that one to benefit a charity, but it was the BEST playing/sounding uke I ever held. Perhaps one day I'll have another. Excellent instruments.

Jerry is always trying new stuff and improving his ukes. I think that he is settled in with his methods. In comparison to other high end ukes I would say he is there. BP ukes are very different from one to the next since he changes the woods, where others like kamaka use just koa or mahagony.
Like all ukes, play it before you buy it.

I like my Boat Paddle Custom M-Style an awful lot. It's not as bright as my KoAloha concert but it plays smooth and has a nice mellow tone. When I got it I did notice a little buzz on the open C string when I layed into it...I put in a shim under the nut and it's fixed the problem. Jerry is a great guy to work with too.

In fact, my uke is features a few times on the Boat Paddle website. In the picture next to the M-Style description on this page, mine is the fully pictured uke. There are also a couple of photos of it in the slideshow at the bottom of that same page. Lastly, on the design page, all the pictures from the "Building an M style concert" section are from my build.

Do I like it more than some of my other customs...no, but it still is a fantastic instrument. All my friends have told me that it's the coolest looking uke I have.

I did a comparison between my Boat Paddle and my KoAloha concert a little while ago. You can see it here. Here's another video I did playing "Blue Shadows" from the Three Amigos.

Thanks for this...I did see ths video on youtube and just watched it again slowly. I think both come across great. Of course you have to take the different woods into account as well, but even though the sound was different I was hard pushed to say which I preferred as they both are a great addition...

Thanks for the reply,

Will look at the design pages as soon as

Chris

Harpdog cc...Thanks for that,

I bet the mahogany really shook when you played it in this design! Seems you had a great uke there
Chris

Jerry is always trying new stuff and improving his ukes. I think that he is settled in with his methods. In comparison to other high end ukes I would say he is there. BP ukes are very different from one to the next since he changes the woods, where others like kamaka use just koa or mahagony.
Like all ukes, play it before you buy it.

Thanks for replying,

I think that is what it will come down to...The difficult choice of which woods suit which build to maximize the BP's potential,

Cheers again,

Chris

Top Bottom