PDA

View Full Version : Cigarbox Tenor Uke review

Markr1
08-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I thought I would share this cool little thing with you all. I paid 130 bucks shipped. Purpleheart fretboard. Handmade by an 80yr old man from Tennessee. He makes about 1 a month and puts them on ebay as he makes them. Plays well sounds great has a passive pickup in it. It was listed at $140 didn't sell so I offered $130 with free shipping and he accepted. I'm not disappointed at all. It has a nice woody tone to it. Thanks for looking. 100_2515.jpg (94.4 KB)
100_2516.jpg (100.2 KB)
100_2517.jpg (94.8 KB)
100_2518.jpg (94.2 KB)
100_2519.jpg (96.4 KB)

Markr1
08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Update on review on this uke. Finish on it is not so good. Back of neck finish was not that good either. It was like they just sprayed it but didn't polish it wasn't smooth. I remedied that I steeled wooled the back of the neck and it's really smooth now and feels much better. The neck is thicker then my nalu hokoa and is just taking a little to get used to I like the hokoa neck much better. Another issue I found with it is the action is pretty high and I was going to take the saddle out and sand it down some to lower the action a little. Anyway while trying to remove the saddle the whole bridge came off I don't think it was glued I saw no signs of it. Another issue i dont think the frets have been leveled and the stick out a little on the ends which can be fixed. The passive pickup sucks really trebly and picks up anytiime i touchOh well easy fix for my luthier. Other then that I think once I take it to my luthier he'll give it a complete overhaul and make it a great player.

Markr1
08-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm gelling react to break it completely down and steel wool the whole thing and smooth it all out. Tuners are cheap may change them. I think when my guitar man is done with it it's going to be one heck of a uke. Anyway there's my review on it and I'm sticking to it. If in the future I ever get ready to get rid of it you better jump on it because it will be completely redone and a perfect player. I may have him put a volume control in it.
Thanks for listening. I guess what else can you expect from an eighty yr old man that's builds them himself out of is shop. Thanks everybody. Markr1

wolfybau
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
hmm it sounds like you may have been better off just building one yourself :(

hberwald
08-07-2011, 10:50 AM
aahhh.. Cigarbox ukulele.

$130 is about the going rate. I usually get around that for mine.

http://youtu.be/c0i06fjNmOI
Here is a video of one of mine. My son Teddy is playing. This is a 20 inch baritone.
The Cigar box ukuleles are easy to make and do really sound good.

I am making 4 more now. Every week I get a call for another...oh well, keeps me busy...

Markr1
08-07-2011, 11:35 AM
hmm it sounds like you may have been better off just building one yourself :(
I think you may be right wolfybau But actually it has been kind of fun taking it down and I've just decided to sand the whole thing down completely and put a bunch of coats of tung oil on it and hberwald is right about the price and some even more then that and it did really sound good it just needs some adjustments and finishing to make it perfect.

Markr1
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey hberwald. I just finished sanding the purple heart fretboard and was wondering if it was okay to use several coats of tung oil on it or do I need to use something else on that part of the uke?