August 23rd? Any plans??

August 23rd is approaching fast, I usually space it out until it's past.

Anybody have special plans?

???

I know I should know this, but why am I blanking?
What's August 23rd?

I googled it, so now I know!

I was thinking the day Jerry Garcia died but that's August 9th...

Sugar cane, Ukulele, Hawaii
koloa rum.jpg
I have a plan...which is unfortunately similar to the plan I had for August 22nd. And maybe August 21st.

Ha Ha It's my Birthday!!!! Shall I post my birthday wish list?

Last edited:
well i would think that anyone who has ever driven on snow covered roads would recognize the significance of harry d. weed's contribution to safety.

and is it any wonder that the celebrated patent day for the snow tire comes on the same day as the free republic of franklin declares its independence? i don't think so.

keep your franklin money boys! the state of franklin's rising again!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_23

August 23rd is approaching fast, I usually space it out until it's past.

Anybody have special plans?

These aren't special plans -- I'll be attending my regular Tuesday evening ukulele class. I guess what might make those plans more special than usual is that they fall on the anniversary of the date that [remainder of post deleted to maintain suspense].

Thank you Google!

I plan to spend the day w/ my Ukes like any other day, except this time I'll play them [song removed to continue suspense]

OK, y'all, I Googled it and still don't get it. What is so special about August 23?

From the Manuel Nunes page on the Ukulele Hall of fame Museum website:

" 'Ukulele pioneer Manuel Nunes was born on June 14, 1843, in Funchal, Madeira, the son of Ricardo Antonio Nunes and his wife Maria Gomes. Nunes, a young widower, was age 36 with four children (Manuel, Maria, Leonardo, Augusto) and newly married to his second wife, Isabel, age 18, when he and his family arrived in Honolulu on August 23, 1879 aboard the Ravenscrag -- the same ship that also carried fellow ukulele pioneers Augusto Dias and Jose do Espirito Santo. Five more children (John, Mary, Julius, George, Antone) were born to Nunes in Hawaii."

From the Manuel Nunes page on the Ukulele Hall of fame Museum website:

" 'Ukulele pioneer Manuel Nunes was born on June 14, 1843, in Funchal, Madeira, the son of Ricardo Antonio Nunes and his wife Maria Gomes. Nunes, a young widower, was age 36 with four children (Manuel, Maria, Leonardo, Augusto) and newly married to his second wife, Isabel, age 18, when he and his family arrived in Honolulu on August 23, 1879 aboard the Ravenscrag -- the same ship that also carried fellow ukulele pioneers Augusto Dias and Jose do Espirito Santo. Five more children (John, Mary, Julius, George, Antone) were born to Nunes in Hawaii."

That's why some people consider August 23rd. Ukulele Day, it's sort of the day it all began (at least in Hawaii).

oh curses. I'll be in Denmark, minus a ukulele :( Maybe I can find a uke-playing Dane and steal his.

I see that it's also the day that the DVD "Justin Beiber: Never Say Never" is being released. I plan to observe that by ignoring it. I probably will, however play my ukuleles and
give quiet thanks for the safe voyage of the passengers and crew of The Ravenscrag in 1879.

Top Bottom