PDA

View Full Version : G string buzz on a Lanikai Lu-21

Jackulele
08-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone. I just bought my first Ukulele. I bought one as a birthday present for myself. It's a Lanikai Lu-21 I bought it from this guy (http://myworld.ebay.com/pearlbaileyblue). Unfortunately, there's a defect on it that wasn't described on his listing...

When I pluck the g string while pressing down on the 2nd fret, it produces a very annoying, unpleasant buzz! This does not happen on the rest of the strings. I tried looking for ways for it not to make that buzz like pressing harder on the fret or plucking the string lighter, but nothing worked. I did notice that when I press down on the 2nd fret, the string slightly touches the 3rd fret, which I believe is the reason behind the buzz.

I already contacted the seller to see if he has any solution of if he's willing to give a refund but he hasn't responded yet.

I already searched around the forum to see if anyone has same problem as mine, but I failed. I'd like to know if any of you know a fix to this buzz on the g string 2nd fret problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

jjjj
08-07-2011, 12:57 AM
This sounds almost identical to a problem I had (Lanikai-LU21c, buzzing at first fret, A string, string practically touching the second fret when I fretted the first). On close inspection I saw that the fret wire at the second fret (at the A string end of the fret) was not snug against the fretboard. I gave mine a few taps with a hammer and it has been fine ever since.

If I could have returned it I would have done that, but return was not an option at that point. I recommend you try to get a return, if possible, before you go for your toolbox.

PhilUSAFRet
08-07-2011, 09:08 AM
This sounds almost identical to a problem I had (Lanikai-LU21c, buzzing at first fret, A string, string practically touching the second fret when I fretted the first). On close inspection I saw that the fret wire at the second fret (at the A string end of the fret) was not snug against the fretboard. I gave mine a few taps with a hammer and it has been fine ever since.

If I could have returned it I would have done that, but return was not an option at that point. I recommend you try to get a return, if possible, before you go for your toolbox.

:agree: - A new uke requiring fret work should be returned if possible.

Jackulele
08-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Hello jjjj, thanks for the suggestion. I do notice that the 3rd fret on mine isn't snug against the fretboard, it sticks out a bit. I gave it a few light taps but I just couldn't get it to sink in. I don't want to tap any harder because I'm afraid I'd only make it worse.

The seller responded to earlier today. He basically told me to go to a local luthier and have them setup my Ukulele. I don't know any luthier around my area though. If I do find one, how much do you think would it cost me for them to setup my Ukulele?

jjjj
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Jackulele,

I am truly sorry, but I have no idea what this would cost to repair. Nor do I know any luthier in your area to recommend. Perhaps someone else on the forum could help.

deadpool
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
:agree: - A new uke requiring fret work should be returned if possible.

Plus 1 on that!!!!!!!!!!!

kaizersoza
08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
definitely return that uke

Jackulele
08-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Alright, I asked him if he has any idea how much would "setting up" my Ukulele cost, and he said it's usually $15-$25. Does anyone here know if that sounds right?

I should be returning this Ukulele but it wouldn't be the best option for me. See, the seller said in his listing that he wouldn't a accept return. And even if he does, I'd still have to pay the cost of shipping it back, which I found out to be $20. I'm thinking I should just ask him for a partial refund of $20.

I'm really, really bummed over this whole thing. I always wanted to learn to play a Ukulele. I love the way it sounds, and the songs you could play with it. I can imagine myself somewhere in the great outdoor, laying back, and playing whatever tune that sounds right... Damn it..

poppy
08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Cheap but does it include repair of the fret? plus he will want a new set of strings

Nickie
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Congrats on your new uke! Isn't that a bummer, to have a defect in your first ukulele? My Cordoba has a buzz just on the C string, only on the lower frets. It's been to a luthier, but the adjustment he made didn't work very well at all. he didn't charge me. I'd like to get it stopped, but I don't know what to do, short of getting another uke, and I really don't want any other uke, I've grown very attached to this one. I may have to bite the bullet and leave it with the luthier, he did a wonderful job on my girlfriend's bass guitar. If the string hits the third fret when you fret the 2nd fret, maybe the third fret is too high in that spot??? Good luck getting it fixed, and don't let it stop you from learning.

Trinimon
08-10-2011, 02:49 AM
My Kala Koa laminate had a buzzing when the G and C stings on the 3rd to 5th fret. After reading some threads on UU, I shimmed the saddle a little and the buzzing reduced considerably. On occasion I'll get a light buzz so maybe I need to shim it just a wee more. I did notice that the saddle was a little uneven in height (low side on the G) and there's a little play when the saddle is in the bridge. GRRRR!!!

bazmaz
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
My Lani needed a bit of (easy) work to stop buzzing, but once done played fine.

Check out http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html and work through steps one by one. Hopefully it will just be saddle height issue. If it's the nut be very careful, and if its a duff fret either tap in gently or I'd suggest taking it back

Best of luck

jjjj
08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Jackulele,

Where do you live? It is quite possible that given the breadth and depth of knowledge on this forum someone could help you.
What is your budget? (My guess is that it is less than a new LU-21, $70, but more than $15.)
Don't panic, don't despair, I'm sure your problem can be fixed.