PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for Kala Ukuleles!

protein01
08-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Good day all,

I am a beginner trying to upgrade from a less than $50 ukulele to a better one to improve myself and enjoy it more. Thus having a dilemma choosing between the following models:

Kala KA-SC
Kala KA-SMHC
Kala KA-FMC
Kala KA-KCG

Do help me by explaining more on differences between Solid Spruce Top and Solid Mahogany.

Thanks for all your kind help!

RawrGazzawrs
08-06-2011, 09:51 PM
spruce tops are have a bright tone and mahogany has a mellow tone.
bright tones means higher tones and sound a little sharper.
mellow tones have lower tones and sound more "rounded"

im not exactly sure if my description gives you an idea.. im kinda bad at explaining things :3

PhilUSAFRet
08-07-2011, 09:11 AM
These solid top ukes have laminate backs and sides, the solid mahogany is all solid mahogany. If you get a decent price, the solid mahogany kalas are a decent value. There's a gorgeous Kala concert on Fleamarketmusic with a case for $119 shipped! It's all laminate, but gets great reviews:

Kala exotic mahogany new in box with new gig bag

Here we have a new in the box Kala concert KA CEM exotic mahogany Uke with a new in the bag deluxe Kala gig bag. Very nice flamed grain pattern on this one! $109 for both plus $10 to help with shipping to the lower 48 Thanks!!

Price: $109 plus $10 shipping to the lower 48
Name: jamie t
Telephone: use email
E-mail: jamie_t123@yahoo.com
Posted On: 8/7/2011
I just noticed this must be UkeGirl....has this uke in our Marketplace for $4 less

ksiegel
08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I've got the Kala KTG-CT, cedar top gloss tenor. Loud, clear, and a joy to play. The concert version is reputed to be the same.

But I'll echo Phil- go to the marketplace section, check Ukegirl's posting for that Kala laminate, and buy it. It isn't the size I want, but it is real tempting.... and if I hadn't just won an Ohana Vita Uke, i probably would have bought it.

-Kurt

mds725
08-07-2011, 06:11 PM
There's a gorgeous Kala concert on Fleamarketmusic with a case for $119 shipped! It's all laminate, but gets great reviews:

Kala exotic mahogany new in box with new gig bag

Here we have a new in the box Kala concert KA CEM exotic mahogany Uke with a new in the bag deluxe Kala gig bag. Very nice flamed grain pattern on this one! $109 for both plus $10 to help with shipping to the lower 48 Thanks!!

Price: $109 plus $10 shipping to the lower 48
Name: jamie t
Telephone: use email
E-mail: jamie_t123@yahoo.com
Posted On: 8/7/2011

In case you're interested. here's a link to the Flea Market Music marketplace: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/