Cordoba 25CK IS LAMINATED! Maybe I Shouldn't Believe My "Lying" Eyes! Geeze......

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejeweler

Reaction score
Cordoba 25CK IS LAMINATED! Maybe I Shouldn't Believe My "Lying" Eyes! Geeze......

Forget all the previous discussions about whether the Cordoba 25CK
ukulele is real KOA or "Acacia" wood,......It's NEITHER! I'm SO P*ssed! @$%^&*#@

Here is their website where they spout all the same corporate BS we've grown a bit used to. Will it never end???
They clearly state on their website this model is SOLID koa. (acacia to the rest of us since it's not grown in Hawaii)

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/82.php

My reciept from Guitar Center also states it a solid koa ukulele. The hang tag (that GC kept)
also stated it to be a solid koa uke,...

.....and it all means nuthing when it's really a laminated imposter!

EDITED to add: See my post #18 in this thread, wherein i describe why i think the top might very well be of solid one piece construction. The back and sides most definately aren't!

Unless i am the unluckiest buyer who just happened to buy their only laminated goofup,....i feel a bit raped in the
wallet. (but the lying part is worse)

Laminated ukes sell for under $100.00 and sometimes a lot less. With tax this was just over $300.00, and
yesterday i just recieved a Uke-Crazy hard case for it,....at $70.00
I returned the gig bag it came with and recieved a $25 plus credit on my CC, and that brought the uke cost
to $255.00 plus tax. The hard case not included in that figure.

(the Model 25 "CK" means Concert/Koa, and they make a Soprano and Tenor of this also, probably the same BS!)

I bought it as a travel uke, so as not to have a really good ukulele subject to theft,....and maybe bring camping and to the beach. I'm pretty handy and have always done my own setup and some repairs on guitars.

I figured i could tweak this uke along the way, and make it a whole lot better sounding given the fact it was supposed to be "SOLID" Koa! (insert acacia wood here if you will, but i already knew THAT!)

You might remember my post where i replaced the ill-fitting saddle with a hard african ivory one from Bob Colosi, and that cured the major intonation problems i was having. It also improved the overall tone and volumn,. but was still thin and with a muted voice. Here's that thread with pics: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Ivory-Saddle-Cures-Intonation-Volumn-amp-Tone

Tonight i decided to put a sound port in it, as in the past it has always allowed the player to hear much more of
what an audience might. I've done 4 already,....all on acoustic guitars but basically the same process.

Imagine my surprise when, after making a cardboard oval pattern and tracing it over the lower bout with a magic marker, i began to cut into the wood and quickly saw a MUCH lighter wood underneath! :wtf:

After i discovered the laminated side, i took a few minutes to calm down before i could go back to work. No backing out now anyway!

I used the lower bout because my intent was to be able to more easily remove the top brace going from near the soundhole and going to the tail block. It's actually a better spot on a ukulele, because the hole ends up closer to your ear than would happen with a soundport on the upper bout. A noted luthier also places his acoustic "flutes" into the
bevel on the lower bout, because it's the more acoustically "active" part of the body.
(Kevin Ryan with his multi-ported version along the armrest bevel)

After rough cutting inside my magic marker line and removing the section, i went back in with a small sanding drum mounted in my Foredom flexable shaft machine to smooth the wood out to the marker line. Carefully hand sanding in finer grits completed the soundport.

The port helped some to get more sound up to my ear, but the brace removal was the other reason i put the port in, and that came out next. I slightly altered a thin kitchen knife to create a small bend in it, and taper the end to a chisel type edge to get under the brace and carefully pry the brace off. This brace went over the bridge pad, bit fortunately
was not glued to the pad. A few minutes later the brace was out, and the uke sounded about 40% louder and much fuller. Still not like a high end ukulele by the better builders, of course, but still a significant improvement from where we started.

.......i can only imagine what it might have sounded like IF the woods used were truly solid! I suspect the top is much the same, but i'm not planning on cutting into that. Virtually certain it's laminated also.......

One last thing i plan on getting done eventually is to slowly sand down and taper the bridge pad a bit. It looks to be about 2 mm thick, and approaches to about 1/2" of the kerfed linings. I'd like to get it to maybe 1 mm thick, and feather the ends back to at least an inch of the linings.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Here's the soundport, eventually i'll stain the inner edge to blend in and make the obvious 3 piece sandwich less obvious. I planned it's position to make the brace removal and future bridge pad thinning much easier.
A soundport access hole trumps working thru the main soundhole or removing the back.

Cordoba25CK001.jpg

....you can clearly see the laminated sections, where a lighter central wood is sandwiched between an outer and inner veneer of acacia wood. The upper 2 sections are more evident in the pic, but there is a 3rd lower darker wood lamination.

DSC02983.jpg

The wide brace is the bridge pad, the thinner one going
left to right is no longer there!

Cordoba25CK031.jpg

Last edited:
Here the brace is gone! I'll rig a small sanding block on a stick to remove the remnants of the removed brace soon. (at left)
This freed up the top significantly, with maybe a 40% increase in volumn, and better sustain also.

Cordoba25CK037.jpg

Some of the back bracing

Cordoba25CK026.jpg

Here you can see just how thick the bridge pad is, about 2 mm thick. (before i removed the other brace)

Cordoba25CK028.jpg

Pic of the tailblock,...a little messy with the glue balls to the right. However, this is one of the "cleaner" builds of this model i have seen.

Cordoba25CK030.jpg

Last edited:
You seem really picky about your ukes lol..
but you get what you pay for, most solid koa ukes start off around 400 and 500 dollars...
you should call or email cordoba about this :3

One thing i noticed is my Cordoba 25 CK is much cleaner built than that of another member here, where he
is tearing his down to use some parts and gain some incite as to construction.

His was a mess inside, with blocks of wood added to lock down the braces around the soundhole rather than
fitting them under the linings. The linings appear solid also, whereas mine are kerfed. (nothing wrong with solid
linings, btw) It appears there is only a single wide brace running left to right on this other example, unlike
the double "X"-like bracing pattern under the bridge area on mine originally.

Cordoba25CKTopBracing.jpg

Last edited:
You seem really picky about your ukes lol..
but you get what you pay for, most solid koa ukes start off around 400 and 500 dollars...
you should call or email cordoba about this :3

Picky is what made me a quality jewely repairman and diamond setter for 35 years! It's in my blood......

But it's more like i don't like getting lied to. I suspect i am not alone in not getting what i bargained for, and
this kind of s--t has to stop! To discover it and not say anything will only allow them to keep selling a lie and
cheat other folks.

An individual seller may not know what he has, or how it's been made when he offers it for sale.

.....there is no excuse for a manufacturer who falsly advertises their product line. A little fraud goes a long way.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before now, actually..............

Last edited:
That's great!

Now all you gotta do is replace the top, sides and backs with solid wood! :D

Funny guy! :agree:

The thought did cross my mind to change out at least the top someday. A lightly braced thin piece of engleman spruce might be in it's future, or maybe a REAL solid wood koa top!

Yep,....really a "kit" from Cordoba to get what they advertise and charge for as a ready made "solid" koa wood ukulele.

BTW,....i just signed up for their mailing list and "warrantee registration", not that they would ever cover
anything with my alterations.

.......it might be interesting if buyers of the 25SK, 25CK, and 25TK all sent their ukes in under warrentee, complaining that they weren't solid koa (acacia) as bargained for and were laminated. (Soprano, Concert, and Tenor variations)

They say,...."prove it",......and then everyone sends in a link to this thread! :smileybounce:

....and we all get a "real" solid koa wood uke back as a replacement.

(when Cordoba actually makes them, that is! :deadhorse: )

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty shady of Cordoba. Says right on their site "all solid Concert Koa ukulele". I'd call them on it and raise hell. The scary thing is, if I see "all solid koa" going for under $500 new, it raises warning flags.

Joe (the Jeweler),

You have every right to be upset. It is a patently false claim of solid koa.

Copied from their website:
"The 25CK is Cordoba's all solid Concert Koa ukulele. With a solid Koa top and solid Koa back and sides, this lightweight ukulele is a unique instrument that embodies the simple charm of traditional Portuguese ornamentations. Completely handmade and comes with a Cordoba concert sized gig bag."

Misleading and false claims like this are type of thing the FTC takes very seriously. There are laws that protect the consumer against this. It looks like the only true piece in the above was the inclusion of a gig bag. Have to wonder about the "handmade" part as well. If it were me, I'd contact Cordoba for sure.

You do seem to like to tinker and tune your ukes and it's fun to read about your progress. What did you use to cut the sound port? Got me thinking about a weekend project...

"Soundport"??? I thought it was a cup holder! I was just about to cut a similar hole in a Dolphin to hold my favourite sherry glass. :D I learn something new here every day!

Joe (the Jeweler),

You have every right to be upset. It is a patently false claim of solid koa.

Copied from their website:
"The 25CK is Cordoba's all solid Concert Koa ukulele. With a solid Koa top and solid Koa back and sides, this lightweight ukulele is a unique instrument that embodies the simple charm of traditional Portuguese ornamentations. Completely handmade and comes with a Cordoba concert sized gig bag."

Misleading and false claims like this are type of thing the FTC takes very seriously. There are laws that protect the consumer against this. It looks like the only true piece in the above was the inclusion of a gig bag. Have to wonder about the "handmade" part as well. If it were me, I'd contact Cordoba for sure.

You do seem to like to tinker and tune your ukes and it's fun to read about your progress. What did you use to cut the sound port? Got me thinking about a weekend project...

Thanks,...i do like to tinker!

Time is money to a builder, ...so i like to spend time on my own instruments a factory might not be able to in
order to meet a certain price point. Things like proper saddle/nut materials and fit, .....and setup adjustments with good intonation achieved (once final string selection is decided upon) are all things i like to work on myself.

Structural issues occasionally, but usually on an older instrument not worth having gone over by a top notch "pro".

For the side port i drew out an oval shape of appropriate size on a thin piece of cardboard, and cut it out with scissors.
Once i centered it where i wanted it, i held it down and used a new sharp point magic marker to transfer the shape.

Make sure you don't have any braces inside to worry about where you'll be cutting, and use a ruler to get the
cardboard centered between the top and back, as your eyes can play tricks sometimes.

I used my Fordom flexable shaft machine with a round bur attachment (maybe 2 mm diameter) to carefully score
a line a little inside the magic marker line. Having used it everyday for 35 years in jewelry work, i have a lot of control
there, but i made sure the ball always turned in the direction of the center of the piece i'd be taking out! If you
try to take too much or press too hard, the ball can catch and roll over the wood a little before you catch it. By turning
the uke as you cut keeps any slip on the throw away piece.

Once i got a slight channel outline cut all the way around, i then started to punch all the way thru, but leaving just a
little wood in between each full hole. This supports the piece to be removed, and prevents the bit catching and ripping
the wood possibly. Then those small remaining support pieces are cut away, and the last few cut pretty slow so as
to get a clean breakaway of the removed section.

Since all these punch thru holes have to be cleaned up (and were cut "inside" the marked outline!), i switched over
to a rubber backed 1/2" or so sanding drum attachment that i got at Sears. Used the course grit to get close to the line,
and a finer grit to get up to the line and final shape the hole.

The final step was 3 finer grits to hand sand the sharp edges off,....all the way down to 600 grit as i recall.
Be careful on hand sanding the outer sharp edge of the wood by hand, you don't want to sand in a recess,....just
get rid of the sharpness to the touch.

If you don't have a flexable shaft machine (Dremel will work also), you can hand score inside your mark with a sharp
scribe, and then drill out all the way around with holes as close as you dare. Final removal can be done by working the drill up and down and pressing sideways a little to cut away the pieces between holes, or a small course rat tail file could be used at the final stages of removing the wood section buy getting rid of the connecting pieces.
The file might be a bit safer too!

Always better to leave at least one connection point at each side and end until the final cuts are carefully made.

Anyway, the project is not a difficult one with some patience and a few tools. The extra feedback your instrument will
give you is well worth the effort, and only takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour of your time. The port can also go on the upper
bout, but i think any future ports will go on the lower bout. I like the added access to the important top braces, and
would make any future transducer pickup installation on the bridge pad a breeze.

In fact, because laminated instruments are less feedback prone, i might just install a good transducer into this one soon. :rock:

Last edited:
"Soundport"??? I thought it was a cup holder! I was just about to cut a similar hole in a Dolphin to hold my favourite sherry glass. :D I learn something new here every day!

Hehehe, not big enough to hold my favorite beer, but might double as an ashtray for you live on the edge smokers!

:smileybounce:

This is a great thread as I remember reading the original thread and thinking people were acting like congress and holding firm on their beliefs of Koa vs. Acacia regardless of what was presented!!

I would definitely call and shoot an email and ask for a solid replacement one, if there is such a thing!!

Read some other posts about Cordoba and I emailed them once. Makes me wonder if Customer Service knows what the hell they are selling.

This is a great thread as I remember reading the original thread and thinking people were acting like congress and holding firm on their beliefs of Koa vs. Acacia regardless of what was presented!!

I would definitely call and shoot an email and ask for a solid replacement one, if there is such a thing!!

I don't believe there are any "solid" wood Cordoba 25 series ukes in existance (koa or acacia), and the sad part
is that the only way for anyone to know for sure is to cut into it.

There may have been a time when this model was listed as a laminate, and then a change made to a solid wood instrument. This uke was hanging for awhile high up at Guitar Center,...maybe for a few years out of sight unless
you asked to see it like i did. I did do a lot of google searches trying to find anything that talked of this model
being laminated,.and couldn't find anything.

I took a shot because the build was pretty clean from what i could see thru the soundhole, although sound was pretty
weak and thin. The frets were smooth and the fretboard straight also, but the action needed work at the nut in
addition to the poorly fit crap saddle that i replaced.

I wouldn't send this one back now anyway for an exchange, as it's actually sounding pretty good with the one brace
removed, new quality saddle fitted, and of course the added sound port.

I'm hoping it will get even better over time (opening up), but i hate being lied to from a manufacturer.

But as a travel ukulele,....it will work out OK. A transducer install is next on my list.

Frankly, if Cordoba did what i did to mine and could consistanty have as clean a build and advertise it for what it is,...

......they'd have a good seller and sounding better and louder than anything they have out there now!

Last edited:

Loving this!

Is the top laminated too? sorta glad I didn't get one now.

What do YOU think????

Actually, the top might just be of solid (non laminated) construction. I sure hope so because it
might mean another sonic improvement down the line as it "opens up" in a new way from the added soundport.
I'll be playing this a lot to find out.

I'm not absolutely sure because there is not really any distinctive grain pattern that i can see on the
inside that matches the outside, just simpler random grain.

However, this may have a solid acacia top if what i see holds up. Specifically, at the soundhole you can see 3 distinct layers.

1) The top layer consisting of the rosette herringbone pattern material.

2) What appears to be a single koa colored center, of a thickness that would make sense for a top.

3) The bottom layer of what appears to be the rosette re-inforcement support, and which you can feel thru the
soundhole as only about 1/4" or so width.

So at least that helps explain the drastic tone and volumn increase i noticed once i removed the 2nd brace that
sort of gave this uke an "X" bracing. It is quite obviously overbuilt, for even with tenor strings on it i didn't see
any top deformation around the bridge.

Since i removed the one brace and put in the soundport, i also went back to concert scale guaged Aquila nylguts.
Using Tenor strings on it for a few weeks told me all i needed to know about the top being heavier than it needs
to be, and the tone & volumn have improved enough to go back to the proper strings.

For now i'd say it has a solid top at least, but i'm not willing to cut into it to verify that.

The member who was tearing his Cordoba 25CK apart recently, maybe you could let us know what you found once
you have the top ripped off? :drool:

Last edited:
All the big manfacturers are this Way Bought an Oscar schmidt OU6LCE Their web site and the distruibuter site claimed Gloss inish and misi preamp Well imagine my suprise when I got a satin finish and a uk2000 Was I pissed. After a run around by both, And OS removing their web page featuring the OU6 and stating I had to deal with the seller and the seller saying it was OS fault .I did like the OP here made the best of a crappy deal I have a good uke now just not what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom