early Guitarlele sighting AKA Tacoma Papoose

Teek

Reaction score
I take ZERO responsibility if anyone ends up with this and ISN'T HAPPY. Two people here bought the Yasuma tenor I posted a link to on eBay as I have a Yasuma I'm very happy with and had a Yasuma (still do) search in place, and it had undisclosed issues. That's life, crap happens, we're not happy about it, but we get over it and move on. I also have a Tacoma search.

I am ONLY posting because it's a Tacoma Papoose, which is a 19" scale six steel string acoustic guitar, and basically an awesome little instrument. I just got one a week ago, been hunting for a year. I never saw one in person, but gambled and I couldn't be more tickled silly with it!

They have reservations because the truss rod cover is missing, I'd call and tell them how to check if the neck is straight, and please read the whole description if interested. These Tacomas can and do have issues with the satin finish peeling and bubbling, it doesn't hurt the guitar, just looks rashy. This one has some.

They come up now and then on the bay, I couldn't touch them price wise previously as they were going for about $600+, now they are around $400. They are very plain but are solid little things, all mahogany sides and back and a cedar top. Radiused rosewood fretboard, fat half round frets. Compensated saddle. They were made in the USA until Fender bought them to get their plant and kill the competition. Check the wikipedia and the Tacoma Guitar site for details. This guitar has been mentioned in guitarlele contexts here on UU previously, which is why I am posting. It's a great baritone scale loud guitarlele. They smell awesome too.

It's a shop goodwill sale. I think it sells if no one makes another bid after a certain time, but if they do it's extended again. Not certain.

Please note this is built for STEEL strings, don't expect to be happy with nylon and silk and steel wound string sets on it.

These will fit in a bari case if it's on the generous side. You can find sound samples on YouTube. I paid $300 plus shipping for mine. This one could be a deal. Or not. I hope it is, the Tacoma Guitar forum is watching it too. They may ban me if someone here buys it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I too own a Papoose guitar. There is nothing else out there quite like Tacoma Papoose. Both their design, and sound are very unique and folks seem to either love them or hate them. I love mine for what it is, not what it isn't..a full size steel string guitar. I'm on TGF too.

Wm.

Hey warndt! Thanks for the add'l info. I am happy with this because I wanted a steel string acoustic after having a few vintage 3/4 size steel strings I still couldn't reach across the frets easily. This has that wonderful sound I wanted but I can reach four frets on it. It's a nice compromise for me, like the Pee Wee electric.

Top Bottom