The Loog Guitar

They're tuned A E A. I saw these back when they started their kickstarter campaign, and while they look pretty interesting, I think for the price I'd still go with a uke. Of course, if someone gifted me one I'd certainly mess around with it :)

-Scott

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. It is nice to see interesting approaches to making music more accessible.

–Lori

That is a interesting guitar. Probably another attempt to help get kids playing guitar.

A E A eh? Whats the advantage? Easy bar chords I'm guessing as its in 5ths...
S.

It appears to work on the same principle as the three-string McNally Strumstick, which has the same relatvie tuning, but in different keys (GDG or DAD). Here's an explanation about the tuning from the strumstick website:

"The frets (the metal pieces that go across the fretboard and determine the notes you can play) are spaced to give you the notes of a major scale (plus an extra note that is really handy to have.) The other two strings make a background (a drone) which harmonizes with whatever you play on the fretted string. It makes chords automatically!
The Strumstick is tuned G D G. You can fret any of the strings, and you can even fret several strings at once to make fuller chords. Usually people start with fretting the first string, and progress to the others after a while. The Strumstick only plays in one key (or scale), instead of all 12 keys like guitar. That is why there are no "wrong" notes on the Strumstick. Wrong notes are notes outside the key you are playing in. All those wrong notes make guitar versatile, and hard. Having just "Right" notes makes Strumstick easy, (but more limited than guitar). Fortunately, you can play a whole lot of music with the notes the Strumstick has."

Rather creative adaptation of a "dulcimer." Can be noted, or barred using finger or slide. Neat toy!

Top Bottom