About to order the Kala KA-ST

ah.clem

Reaction score
I'm about to order the Kala KA-ST spruce top tenor uke from MusicGuyMic. When I'm back in Kanehoe this summer I will try out higher-end Koa ukes, but around $200 is about all I'm willing to risk without playing an instrument first (the Kala is about $180 with shipping).

I've had a really good experience with the Kala KA-S soprano I picked up this past summer in Hawaii (once I switched to Aquilas), so I've been asking MusicGuyMic a lot of questions and I think this is the next instrument for me.

Does anyone here own this uke (I think I read one review for a similar uke on UU) - if so, how do you like it?

Does anyone have another suggestion for a tenor uke other than the Kala that will come in around $200 shipped?

I don't need/want electronics, unless they are only a pickup under the saddle, no funky preamp built into the side of the instrument. I'd prefer to add my own undersaddle pickup if I find I need one.

Thanks for your time.

ah.clem

I like the spruce topped instruments from Kala. I think most of the ones I've played all sounded pretty good, certainly better than most laminate-top ukes I've tried.

I just got one of those Kala tenor neck/soprano body ukes with a solid spruce top (Model KA-SSNL430) after being curious about it for a while. It really surprised me with its sound. It has very long sustain and pretty nice tone and actually seem a little louder (probably because it's more trebly) than a spruced topped Sonny D tenor I have. I'm VERY impressed, especially since Elderly had it for only $110 (I must have ordered the last one in stock because it's gone from their website).

Not only do I have the same instrument, I bought it from MGM. I like it a lot. I don't have much to compare it to because I'm still pretty new at this. I have been taking a few lessons and my teacher seems to think it's pretty decent. Not at the level of the 1947 Martin concert that he shows me stuff on but he liked the sound well enough and said "it plays like butter" after trying it. I'm pretty sure the MGM setup had a lot to do with that.

The only thing I changed is the C string. It came with a wound Aquila and I now have the nylgut on. That C would play on longer then any of the others.

Here's a link to Ian Chadwicks blog http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukuleles.htm. He's a regular poster here and on this particular page he rates a bunch of ukes he has bought and played including the Kala solid spruce top cutaway tenor with electric pickup (KA-STE). I'm pretty sure that the KA-ST is virtually the same sound and play experience unamplified.

Last edited:
I like the spruce topped instruments from Kala. I think most of the ones I've played all sounded pretty good, certainly better than most laminate-top ukes I've tried.

I just got one of those Kala tenor neck/soprano body ukes with a solid spruce top (Model KA-SSNL430) after being curious about it for a while. It really surprised me with its sound. It has very long sustain and pretty nice tone and actually seem a little louder (probably because it's more trebly) than a spruced topped Sonny D tenor I have. I'm VERY impressed, especially since Elderly had it for only $110 (I must have ordered the last one in stock because it's gone from their website).

As someone who's been following your collection via your blog for a while, I gotta say, 1) I totally respect your taste, and 2) when you need room or get bored with it, you should sell that sucker to me.

i have this uke, its a little to bright for me, i like the tone of my concert makala better, but maybe you should go for the ka-t more mellow in tone but if right and loud is what you want go for it ;)

i have the same exact uke!!!! its pretty nice considering the price from MGM. i bought mine 4 160 with Aquila's. Sounds pretty good except the saddle material isn't the best it sometimes rattles with the Aquila strings on it. other than that good sounding uke 4 the price. SNAG IT UP!

i have this uke, its a little to bright for me, i like the tone of my concert makala better, but maybe you should go for the ka-t more mellow in tone but if right and loud is what you want go for it ;)

Mine was too bright for me at first too. I got used to it though and when I want bright....I pick it up. Strung it with low g Koolau golds to tone it down a notch. love it now.

Thanks for all the replies. Deach, maybe someday, but I never liked any of the Ovation instruments (only plastic/glass instruments I've tried) - I just like wood.

Folks who thought it might be too bright - that was one of the reasons I went for a spruce top for this uke. I like a really bright sound (maybe old age is rolling off the high end for me).

I just got off the telephone with Michael - uke is on the way. I will post about overall fit and finish, and of course sound and playability.

I am so freakin' excited. Man, I love these instruments! I'm a bass, piano and guitar player, but I am spending all my free time with the uke. I never thought I'd be having this much fun after a semi-impulse buy at Harry's.

ah.clem

Last edited:
OK, uke is in, I got an hour or two on it - I like it a lot. It is not perfect, but for under $200 and never having a chance to play it, I feel like it was a very good decision. I'll post a review in a few weeks but here's my first impression.

Shipping carton was damaged a bit, no damage at all on the instrument or case. It was quite well packed, very safe.

Before checking it for fit and finish, I tuned it and started strumming - nice, bright sound, similar to my spruce and cedar topped guitars. Much different sounding than the mahogany soprano. As I was playing, my wife came by and said "Olomana! That sounds like Olomana.". OK, sold!

After looking the instrument over, I was pleased with the overall build and finish work. The frets are nicely dressed, the bindings are nicely done, all quite nice for the money. The only obvious issue is that one of the tuners is off center in the headstock, about 5* - 7* off from the rest of the tuners. It gives the headstock a bit of a lopsided look. I can live with it until I change strings - then I'll unscrew the tuner, unbolt it, rotate it and peg the hole, touch it up with stain, drill a new hole and it will be done.

MGM did a great setup on the instrument.

Impressions - strumming - bright, maybe a bit thin sound, but that might just be my playing right now. Nice neck, slim, feels good - what in the guitar/bass world is called a fast neck. Finger picking sound is big and full - loud. Strumming is still a bit odd - strings are much stiffer than the soprano, I did not expect that. I love the space between frets! Man, this space is so worth the price! I love playing above the 7th fret - I can play all the way to the body with my chubby fingers and it's clean and crisp. Intonation is very good - seems right on. Harmonics ring nicely. I think the best thing about this instrument is how much easier I can use barre chords. I've already come up with better chord voicings for some of my favorite Hawaiian songs by being able to use barre chords that I couldn't get to sound on the soprano.

I think it was a good investment and MGM provided great service.

ah.clem

Top Bottom