D7 Chord Fingering Question

Shastastan

Reaction score
I've seen both fingerings (there may be more) for D7 as follows:

1. Barring the 2nd fret with the index finger with the middle finger on the A string, 3rd fret.

2. (Hawaiian?) D7 with middle finger on G string 2nd fret and ring finger on E string 2nd fret. Jim Beloff uses this version in some books I have.

For what ever reason, I'm having a problem using the index finger and middle finger (for the bar chord). However, I can use the middle finger to bar with and the ring finger on the A string, 3rd fret. The 2nd option, above, is certainly a lot easier, but the chord does not sound quite right to me--as if something is missing. I guess my question is: Will there be a problem if I use my middle and ring fingers for the bar chord version?

The barre chord version of D7 is the chord D7, composed of notes D, F#, A, and C (on the 3th, 2nd, 4th, and 1st strings respectively).

The notes in the other "D7" chord are A, C, F#, A---you're correct that something's missing---the root note, D! So technically, it's not a D7 chord. But it does sound like D7 in most contexts. Technicalities aside, both chords sound great! Use whichever sounds better to you in a particular context. I've used both in the same song---using the non-barre version to make the chord sound a little "heavier" here and there.

No problem using your middle finger for the D7 barre chord. You may want to practice using your first finger to barre the strings as well---lots of other barre chords out there! Being comfortable playing both ways would be best---more options!

Thanks, Ralf. Sure can't argue with your logic that more options are the way to go. I do have a low G string which may also have an effect.

Whatever feels good is usually fine, the other caution is... as you play more complicated songs....it helps to have your right finger and pinky both available to do a little moving around...Don't completely give up on trying to barre with your index finger, that position adds more versatility later one....forexample playing a D7 then moving the pinky (while still barred) to the 7th and then the 5th fret...a nice little sound to it, and nearly impossible barring with the middle finger....just a thought Keep at it and good luck!

When I started to play the ukulele,I found and learned the
two finger version of D7 first! So I naturally played that one.
Then I came across the barre version of the 'full' chord and
as has been said already,I now use either or both,depending
on the song.In a few songs I play,you are only on D7 for a
brief strum;perhaps only one strum,and then I tend to go for
the two finger version,for speed and ease of fretting.
Then I play a few bluesy songs,where the 'full' barred version
is the only way to go! And although I primarily use my index
finger for the barre,I can equally use my second and third fingers
in a push! So long as you get the sound you want,that fits right
in with the song/tune you play,its all good!

Last edited:
Many thanks for those tips. I do use the index finger to barre when I have to use the pinky, say on the 5th fret while barring the 2nd. My problem is with the D7 getting my middle finger on the 3rd fret A string. It's jus a stiff 72 year old finger ;)

I've seen both fingerings (there may be more) for D7 as follows:

1. Barring the 2nd fret with the index finger with the middle finger on the A string, 3rd fret.

2. (Hawaiian?) D7 with middle finger on G string 2nd fret and ring finger on E string 2nd fret. Jim Beloff uses this version in some books I have.

For what ever reason, I'm having a problem using the index finger and middle finger (for the bar chord). However, I can use the middle finger to bar with and the ring finger on the A string, 3rd fret. The 2nd option, above, is certainly a lot easier, but the chord does not sound quite right to me--as if something is missing. I guess my question is: Will there be a problem if I use my middle and ring fingers for the bar chord version?

That's how I barre my D7 (in most cases). In some of the songs I play, a G7 follows the D7 and it's an easier transition if you barre with the middle instead of the index (according to a fellow jammer who is now experimenting with the middle finger barre).

Jeeper makes a good point though. I have only recently started to experiment with bling notes though.

That's how I barre my D7 (in most cases). In some of the songs I play, a G7 follows the D7 and it's an easier transition if you barre with the middle instead of the index (according to a fellow jammer who is now experimenting with the middle finger barre).

Jeeper makes a good point though. I have only recently started to experiment with bling notes though.

It seeme easier for me, but I can see from just playing last night that chord changes be easier sometimes using the index finger to barre. .I can now also see that the Hawaiian D7 works just fine in some songs--now that I've taken the time to compare both in the same song

Hmmm....................I barre with my index (in case I need to move up the fret board) and typically fret the A string with my ring finger. My 65year old fingers seem to like this best. I don't see the transition to G7 as being hard in this scenario. Usually always sounds clean too. I have found that depending on which chord precedes and which one succeeds it sometimes dictates fingering of certain chords. I don't think it is an "exact science".

I also tend to barre with my index finger and fret with the ring finger, but only when I'm playing with a G7 (which, actually is pretty often). It makes things easier, otherwise I'd still be transitioning to a G7 as we speak. I do barre with the index finger, as I've heard you'll run out of fingers later on if you get used to barring with the middle. In any case, it took a bit of practice, but I got the D7 down.

Top Bottom