Low Priced Bass combo amp for porchboard

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I guess I could have put this under "other instruments" but it's about a bass amp, so here goes. Looking for a relatively compact
bass combo amp, I'm guessing 12", maybe 10" to use with a porchboard/stomp box/foot bass.....whichever you want to call it.
Just want a decent sub-bass thump when I tap the critter. Any suggestions?

What's your price range? For a Porchboard thump almost any bass amp will do. A bigger/heavier combo and a larger speaker will generally give you a better bass response than lighter and smaller.

In the old days I used to recommend Crate as a decent bang-for-the-buck amp line, but since they stopped being a real manufacturer and started being an American nameplate on Chinese-designed and built product, I refuse to recommend them. I'd suggest watching eBay or Craigslist for a good deal on something used and local (even small amps are expensive to ship). That way, when you go to pick it up you can plug in and see if you like the sound.

-Pete

What's your price range? For a Porchboard thump almost any bass amp will do. A bigger/heavier combo and a larger speaker will generally give you a better bass response than lighter and smaller.

In the old days I used to recommend Crate as a decent bang-for-the-buck amp line, but since they stopped being a real manufacturer and started being an American nameplate on Chinese-designed and built product, I refuse to recommend them. I'd suggest watching eBay or Craigslist for a good deal on something used and local (even small amps are expensive to ship). That way, when you go to pick it up you can plug in and see if you like the sound.

-Pete

Thanks for input. My high end is the Fender Rumble 75. I don't really need many features unless I get a bass (U Bass or Samick Corsair) I was wondering if a 10" would be a good enough "thump." I have twin 10"ers in my home stereo w/out sub and they are pretty amazing, but there 4 of them and a lot of power.

It really depends on the amp and speaker design. I auditioned a little briefcase-size MarkBass combo at a Guitar Center a couple of years ago. It's now on my list of "wants." It had two six-inch speakers and blew the doors off many larger amps I've heard. Unfortunately, it's also something like $800.

The standard bass guitar cabinet these days (if there is any such thing) is a 4x10. Used to be everyone wanted the 2x15, but a well-designed 4x10 can provide plenty of bottom end and generally runs a little tighter on the top end because of the reduced mass of the speaker.

This is just a lot of words to say size doesn't matter. :) Well, it does in that a larger, heavier cabinet will generally reach lower than a flimsy one, but the best advice I can give you is try it and see. I would think a Rumble 75 should be overkill for a Porchboard, but if you're planning to gig in coffee houses with the U-Bass, that's probably just the kind of thing you'd want.

Pete

If you have PA support where you play, you might consider the Zoom B1 pedal.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1898&brandID=4

It would help as a preamp to the piezo pickup (I think that's what's in the Porchboard) and you can always use it with a bass guitar or Ubass. I use one with the converted baritone and it really helps get a variety of tones. More portable than an amp as well!

Top Bottom