How Good is Eugene Ukulele?

southcoastukes

Reaction score
Actually, I don't listen to a whole lot of ukulele music, so I'm sure there are better opinions than mine. I have one CD by "Eugene".

How good do you'all think this guy is?

Actually, I don't listen to a whole lot of ukulele music, so I'm sure there are better opinions than mine. I have one CD by "Eugene".

How good do you'all think this guy is?

I don't own any of his cds yet, but he is one of the few ukers that i actually watch their videos. I like him a lot.

I like his stuff well enough that I ordered two of his CDs - and love them. Just watch his vids to get a feel for what he does - he's got about 40 of them up now I think. The CDs I have are a little more "produced" with additional instruments and such - but still good and not the over-compressed, over-produced stuff that seems to pass for recorded music these days.

John

not my style of music, but he's amazing, y'ask me!
Great player, great singer and I dig his arrangements and his whole vibe.

I'm not a fan of the style, but he's making me one!

He's better than I am.... And he's playing upside down, too!

(Well, he IS in Australia!)

-Kurt

That Man Can Play and Sing

I'm sure there are better opinions than mine.

No doubt:agree:, but as Eugene's tallest fan in PHX, he's all over my youtube fave list. The first time I saw one of his videos hit me RIGHT THERE.

Very talented, great player and singing, love his CD's and plan to buy more :D

Always watch his YouTube because he makes awesome videos!

Love the videos, bought one of his CDs, and he seems a great guy to boot which is always a bonus.

Unique voice and lots of style. Like it a lot!

Havent got one of his CDs but he is really talented. He exposed me to some new music which i have now fell in love with.

How about this particular song, for example. Apart from being a good song in and of itself, and well sung, are there a lot of people who play like this?

Last edited:
I LOVE Eugene's playing and singing styles and his choice of music. Yes - he's really good.

Do others play like this? Yes, good players do. :) Seriously, Winin' Boy and Remco Jensen in Belgium, Krouk in Paris, several guys in the UK and US. All are unique and different, and play different music. Eugene really has a great, unique take on "melody style."

He very kindly sent me his CD's like a year ago. I listen to one of them every couple of days. And yes, as others have said, he's a stand up guy. :)

Last edited:
I was never a fan of his style of music until I heard him I enjoy his music very muchy! I have all his cd's they are wonderful. He's a talented musician, great singer and a good performer too..

Many thanks to Jnobianchi and Ray for a little more perspective of the range of ukulele players in the "traditional - not hawaiian?" styles.

I couldn't find everyone Jno mentioned, but those I did, I enjoyed. Ray, I have heard a bit of Lil' Rev, but that website gives a lot of complete songs to hear - gives me a much better appreciation of what he does.

That being said, I still have to admit I am rather amazed at Jon's talent as both an overall musician and as an ukulele player. He seems to let the overall musician part take precedence, as it should - there's no doubt a significant part of the package are the vocals.

In the one CD I have (Canoodlin'), it is also evident that he is very good on mandolin, banjo, and more. The arrangements are first rate as well. The best comparison I can make to what he does is to the "King of Mainland Ukulele": Wendell Hall. He was also adept at a number of instruments, and also a student of "historical forms". He pretty much singlehandedly brought back the music of Stephen Foster. If Jon had been born a hundred years ago, (and had an aptitude for self-promotion) I think it's possible we could all be collecting old "Eugene" model ukuleles today.

Do you think maybe this guy is a lttle underrated? He's a very familiar presence here, after all, and extremely prolific with his videos. As OldePhart mentioned, his CDs are not "overproduced", but I like that aspect very much as well.

For those who haven't heard one, I'd really recommend one of the CDs. In addition to the all the traditional music, he'll throw in a "Space Girl's Song" and such, and make them sound traditional as well. Keeps it all very entertaining.

His music has that good/bad aspect that comes from fine musicianship. I find one after another of these songs will stick in my head all day long. Never know which one will take over the brain on any given day, but they always make the day go better.

Last edited:
How about this particular song, for example. Apart from being a good song in and of itself, and well sung, are there a lot of people who play like this?

I don't know about a lot of people playing like that, but I know at least one guy who wishes he could play like that. In fact, I know this guy so well I shave his face every morning! :)

John

Top Bottom