Paddle Boat Ukulele's "Pinned Nut", Is It Proprietary?

joejeweler

Reaction score
I just came across this in an unrelated search, ....first time i've seen it.

I chuckled at first, but then thought it looks like a neat idea. :drool:

I wondered if it's been around from long ago, or is it a new idea that
might be "propriety" in nature and possibly patented?

Reason i ask is i might want to try the idea on the next uke i need to make a nut for, maybe a guitar also. For personal use only, but still i don't want to infringe if i can help it.

The only thing i can see is some folks might not like the raised sections
on top of the nut if their technique tends to put their fretting hand in contact there.

BTW,....always liked the "zero fret" on my Gretch Country Gentlemen. Not sure if anyone does that with a Uke
build, but at least it doesn't stick up and relegates the function of the nut to simple string spacing.

cheers,
Joe T

UkulelepinnednutbyBoatPaddleUkes-1.jpg

Last edited:
I like the look of it and thought I might try it as well, but it would be a fair bit more work than just making a conventional nut. I built my first 6 ukes with a zero fret and while it works a treat for getting the action spot on at the first fret, potential customers were really uncertain about it, as it looked too different for the norm for them.

The system works wonderfully. No sweat switching string gauges either. Never had a fretting hand contact problem playing it.

I like the look of it and thought I might try it as well, but it would be a fair bit more work than just making a conventional nut. I built my first 6 ukes with a zero fret and while it works a treat for getting the action spot on at the first fret, potential customers were really uncertain about it, as it looked too different for the norm for them.

I've always liked the few guitars i've had with a zero fret,....surprised it isn't the "norm" today. It's been around a
long time.....and i'd prefer it on a ukulele.......

:eek:ld: Better yet, how about a zero fret build, but using a "V" nut for the string spacing only? That way you have a
spot on action height on open strings, and the ability to change string guages (low and high G, and others) without a slot problem.

The "V" cut slot will self center any guage string you care to use, although you may need a few saddle
choices to get intonation at it's best. But then you can switch between hi and low G with just a string change and
possible a saddle swap if needed.

Seems like it would work great! :drool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom