Beginner Ukulele: Kala Makala Concert w/ setup vs. Lanikai LU-21C!

Dea

Reaction score
After weeks of doing research I finally wanna buy my first ukulele! But I'm torn between two being sold on ebay. If anyone could give me their opinions on both deals, it would be super appreciated! I know the Lanikai is technically the better uke in quality, but does the setup for the Makala make it a better buy for a newbie?

Kala Makala:http://cgi.ebay.com/Kala-Makala--Ukulele-AQUILA-Strings-SETUP-Tuner-/140587796184?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bbaf86d8#ht_3408wt_952

LU-21C Lanikai: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lanikai-LU-21C-Concert-Ukulele-Uke-/110682484311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c530ae57#ht_2113wt_956

For me, it's about which uke will be easiest for me as a beginner to learn on. I'm just confused on whether the setup being offered for the Makala (lowering nut and saddle height, etc) will make it better for me then the Lanikai. They both come with aquila strings, which is great because I would like to not change the strings myself starting off. Also, the Makala comes with the tuner, but I could always buy one separate if the Lanikai is the way to go.

Thanks ya'll!

We have both in our family, and I like the Makalas sound and feel better. The Lanikai is a bit heavier build and has bindings which will protect the edges form dings a little more. All in all they are very comparable ukes and you'll probably be happy with either. A set up does make a difference with any of the lower end ukes, but is something that is easy to learn to do.

I vote for the Makala Concert with the aquila strings and set up. That is what I have and I play it quite often and it sounds great and plays beautiful. In fact, you will find it hard to blieve that the uke costs so litte yet sounds soooo good! This way, you can save up $$$ for a nicer uke in the future.

+1 for the setup Makala from Hawiaii Music Supply. It's your best bet. A Lanikai, off the shelf, without a set up, can be terrible!

Both good beginner ukes and I think there is very little in them. Make sure you buy from reputable store though who will check set up.

It may have changed but Lanis come with Aquilas but last Makala I bought didn't and they would be good upgrade.

All of that said, I'm so impressed with each Makala I come across, I too would vote for that.

The set up from Hawaii Music Supply is worth way more than $10. Go for the Makala! You'll love it.

Last edited:
Hi,

My Makala Concert was my first Uke and think it sounds really good even compared to my Kala Acacia concert ( both with Aquilas).

a set up is always a good idea...can save headaches later on...And if you're just getting a first uke, or an inexpensive one, don't worry yourself to much about sound...playability is the big idea here....A set up uke will most likely be easier for you to strum, make chords without buzzing, and play better in tune with itself...both the models you mentioned sound similar to me, so wherever you can get the best deal on a set up uke is the winner! happy strumming

I like the LU by Lanikai. BUT you need a proper set-up. Basically the Lanikai comes (in my opinion) with better frets and nut and tuners. BUT... not set up will make the world of difference. So if you can find an LU set up I would go with that... if not, the Makala.

Top Bottom