Horrible re-stringing experience // Strings settling in

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hey UU, I just changed my strings which was quite the frightening experience..:eek:

First of all I used the loop, lap over twice and tie technique and though I screwed everything cause I couldn't get the knot to be completely tight. I used clamps to pull gently but still you could see some gaps in the knots. I went on anything to hook it onto the bridge and continue to the peg heads-When turning the stubborn peg heads slowly and cautiously, the G string (first string I was tuning) snapped.....!! I though all was lost but it turned out either only a tiny part broke off or the strings just came off from the bridge. Either way, thankfully there was more than enough string to start over.

Anyway, without going on to a wall of text I finished off the 4 strings :wallbash: but all the strings are still very much out of tune. I've searched and the consensus seems to be that after re-stringing, the strings need time to settling in. But I'm wondering- should I tune it to G C E A and let it settle in or as of right now, its at F# A C F...The occasional sequel and creaking is making me think I should let it sit for a bit and tune it later...?

Anyone had this experience before or could give me some advice as to what I should do.

As always, Thanks!:)

The more you play & tune the faster it will be settled in :)

If the knots at your bridge keep letting go and you get over three turns of the strings at you tuning pegs I would consider redoing the strings alltogether since this could give you tuningproblems

Last edited:
I usually tune my new strings up to ADFB before I go to bed and in the morning they break in much easier and quicker. But it takes all nylon strings quite a few days to settle in.

I used aquila, high g,cea tuning & it's just the creaking noise, weather it be from the string stretch or bridge (hopefully not) is making me nervous. But I will heed the advice to tune and keep playing..

As long as you used the correct strings in the correct order, there won't be any problems.

I tune them all to the right notes, then pull on them. I start at the bridge and pull up working my way to the nut. I do thsi for each string and tune again. I keep doing it until it stops going crazy out oif tune.
the sounds you hear might be from the nut. I use a little fret conditioner on my nuts to keep them from creeking. (OK, that souded dirty, sorry)

The creaking may just be your loose knots tighting up. Post a pick of the bridge if you're real worried

Make sure you are tuning to the right pitch. The "C" is middle "C" on the piano.
If your an octave up you will either break strings or damage the ukulele.

I gotta admit, I cheat a little when installing strings. I have a little arthritis in my thumb and I use some curved needle nosed jewelers pliers to help.

I tune them all to the right notes, then pull on them. I start at the bridge and pull up working my way to the nut. I do thsi for each string and tune again. I keep doing it until it stops going crazy out oif tune.
the sounds you hear might be from the nut. I use a little fret conditioner on my nuts to keep them from creeking. (OK, that souded dirty, sorry)

I read somewhere once that mentioned that nylon strings should not be stretched in this way as it can tear the fibers and reduce the life of the strings. What I do is I keep a headstock tuner on the uke, tune it to pitch, play it really hard until it goes so out of tune I can't stand it any longer, tune it to pitch again, and continuously repeat these steps until it's fairly broken in. Then I just check it and tune it as needed before I play it.

Dan

Top Bottom