PDA

View Full Version : Uke Music for 13 year old beginner?

UkeLookingatMe?
08-08-2011, 05:22 AM
I know a 13 year old who is interested in starting the uke who wants to play more recent stuff.

Any help? I don't even know what artists or song titles to look for on chordie.com and other great song sites, since I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's with my musical tastes.

Thanks in advance!

PhilUSAFRet
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Make sure he uses something like Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp to learn his chords first. Playing songs only may not be the best way to progress:
http://www.4shared.com/u/heU_nJuZ/rohiguchigmail.html

Re: his favorite kind of music, he can do google searches for ukulele + his favorite group or song!

UkeLookingatMe?
08-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks. He's actually taking uke lessons from the person my son does. So he'll be getting taught well. She, like me, however, is a bit clueless about contemporary music and asked me to help her locate some options for motivation purposes.

Any names and titles of "cool" new music for him would be great. Thanks!

PoiDog
08-08-2011, 07:13 AM
I know a 13 year old who is interested in starting the uke who wants to play more recent stuff.

Any help? I don't even know what artists or song titles to look for on chordie.com and other great song sites, since I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's with my musical tastes.

Thanks in advance!

Not for nothing, but have you tried either asking the kid (or the parents) what bands/singers they like, or just took a look through their iPod/record collection?

Going straight to the source always seems to work best in matters of taste.

haolejohn
08-08-2011, 08:53 AM
This is what I do with the uke club i ran. I have the kids sit down and write songs they would like to learn. I then show them how to find the songs by using computers with a projector. It is then up to them to find the songs on their own. I printed the songs for them and helped them with the chords.

hungry4adobo
08-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Okay how about Lullaby by Lateeya, Count on me by Bruno Mars, Hey Soul, Sister by Train, Grenade by Bruno Mars, We could happen by Aj Rafeal, She was mine by Aj Rafeal, and Sweet Pea by Amos Lee. There are a lot of Youtube tutorials for these songs. :)

UkeLookingatMe?
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Thank you, hungry4adobo, for a starting point. It's hard to just have kids randomly search, I think, when I myself get overwhelmed (and waste too much time) trying to locate what I'm looking for only to find that either it's not available or is far too hard for my skill level. That's why I was hoping someone on here could direct me to a place that has more contemporary songs that are appropriate for a beginner. That way, the teacher could have a start point of what is available at the beginner level to show him as options. I hope that clarifies better the type of help I'm hoping to find.

beatsick8
08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
check out krankthat22's youtube channel. he has lots of tutorials on modern mainstream stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Krankthat22#grid/uploads

RawrGazzawrs
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
theres a guy on youtube who has a bunch of tutorials and i think this 13 year old would learn from them.
have him look up krankthat22 on youtube.
when he starts to memorize some chords then i guess he could try listening to some michael carreon on youtube or other artists. he can just look up chords on ultimate-guitar.com.
http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/ and this is where i go when i see a chord i dont know :3

hedgehogsontoast
08-09-2011, 12:38 PM
i don't know about modern music other than the above options, but a good book to get chords, finger picking and strumming pattern nailed is "absolute beginners ukulele" by Steven Sproat which was 12.95 it taught me a lot