Want to buy a new ukulele!!! Help Please!!! :-)

OinkPiggy

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Mahalo-U-320-Deluxe-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001SN7QXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

is this a good beginner uke? i like it cuz it's got the instructional DVD with it but there were some bad reviews..... i honestly don't care what kind of tuners it has or whatever (gear or frictions) . :confused:

and, also, will this tuner go with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Uke-Mate-Clip-On-Tuner/dp/B000WEH44Y/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_c

ive been waiting for the mahalo u-200 uke i ordered but it hasnt come in stock and ive been waiting 2 weeks and im sick of waiting. if you have any other recommendations, please make them under 35 bucks and on amazon ONLY-- i cant buy anywhere else:drool:. i would greatly prefer a DVD included.

No experience with the one you linked to, but the basic Mahalo U-30 for $19.99 is a great little uke. My two brothers both purchased one and love them. In fact, I was considering purchasing one for a cheap knock-around uke to take with me on motorcycle trips. I would suggest changing out the strings right away though. I put the GHS black strings on them and the uke sings.

Dan

I don't have this ukulele but have three other Mahalos, the Les Paul one, the 350 and the U30 I think... they are all ok. The tuner should work. The uke looks like a good enough deal at 40 bucks. I guess you won't know if it has geared or friction tuners until it shows up. I wouldn't necessarily buy it for the DVD.

There are other ukes you could be more certain about since I guess this one is sort of vague in its description... I am imagining they switched these over to geared tuners now? I will say the twenty dollar painted Mahalos are OK too. I did have to use a little steel wool to get the paint off the frets and tweak the nut a little but it sounds pretty nice now.

Another uke folks favor and you might could get a nice one is a makala dolphin although there is something nice about a wooden uke. The Makala dolphin in my opinion sounds better than the Makala Soprano. Generally the Dolphins sound pretty decent for the price. also forty bucks delivered.

Check out Makala ukes. They are in that price range and are very good for the money. Just make sure that aquila strings are on it, if not then you can change the strings.

Just get the soprano makala. it has better reviews and its only like 10 bucks more...
no actual need for the dvd because you can pretty much learn everything on the internet. good place to start is the ukulele underground main site. make an account and check out the video section in uke minutes for some basic stuff and the lessons for some songs. youtube can also be helpful :3
and not really going to need a tuner because there is an online ukulele tuner. it plays the strings and you just have to sync up with it.

also I recommend changing the strings the makala comes with. if theyre black then i suggest buying aquila brand strings.
not hard to change at all but theyll take a while to stretch to stay in tune.

and not really going to need a tuner because there is an online ukulele tuner. it plays the strings and you just have to sync up with it.
I would still recommend a tuner. There will be times you play when you aren't online (gasp!). And especially when you change strings, you'll be constantly tuning until they stretch in.

I would still recommend a tuner. There will be times you play when you aren't online (gasp!). And especially when you change strings, you'll be constantly tuning until they stretch in.

meh, it doesnt take as long if you try to keep them in tune a half step or maybe whole step above standard tuning. well thats what i do anyway. and theres ukulele apps on the app store for like 1 or 2 dollars that have a giant list of chords and a standard tuner. (chordkumu)

Last edited:
meh, it doesnt take as long if you try to keep them in tune a half step or maybe whole step above standard tuning. well thats what i do anyway. and theres ukulele apps on the app store for like 1 or 2 dollars that have a giant list of chords and a standard tuner. (chordkumu)
Not all of us have smartphones that run "apps" or even want them.

I have a "dumbphone" that I use only for voice calls. I've even blocked texting on it since I don't want that and started getting text spam for which I was being charged.

Well, it does do pictures and video. But I can download that with a cable and not have to use minutes transferring it via the phone connection.

the makala dolphin is excellent value for the price as stated above, it has a great sound for not too much money, i have one and love playing it, but again get some aquilas strings on it and you will have a great little uke

http://www.amazon.com/Mahalo-U-320-Deluxe-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001SN7QXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

is this a good beginner uke? i like it cuz it's got the instructional DVD with it but there were some bad reviews..... i honestly don't care what kind of tuners it has or whatever (gear or frictions) . :confused:

and, also, will this tuner go with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Uke-Mate-Clip-On-Tuner/dp/B000WEH44Y/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_c

ive been waiting for the mahalo u-200 uke i ordered but it hasnt come in stock and ive been waiting 2 weeks and im sick of waiting. if you have any other recommendations, please make them under 35 bucks and on amazon ONLY-- i cant buy anywhere else:drool:. i would greatly prefer a DVD included.

If you're willing to go as high as $75, you could look at the Luna on sale in the marketplace right now. It doesn't have a tuner, but it's a really good starter 'ukulele, and it looks cool, too.

Top Bottom