Stringing my KPK

al0hab0y

Reaction score
Just recently I got a Tenor Koa Pili Koko uke for my birthday. I am impressed with the all wood that is built from Acacia (family tree of Koa). It was delivered with Aquila strings and found it had a bright, sweet sound with nice projection. I was planning to restring it to a low G but found that on the wooden saddle the slots to slide the strings in were to small for a wound G string. Is there any way I can perhaps make adjustments to have it fit without making any physical changes to it? I was thinking to pinch the end of the wound G string to make it thinner so that it would slide in. Any suggestions?

Worth makes an unwound low g, you may want to try them. I have Worths (high g) on my Melokia concert (made in the same factory as KPK's) and really like the sound and feel.

The Orcas flouros are also an unwound low G which will likely fit. You can also opt for a re-engineering of your strings, whereby you use a standard set of strings but do a quick mix-n-match:

Use your A string for the A
Use the high G in place of your E
Use your E in place of the C
Use the C as your low G

I've had it on good authority from luthien (one of the knowledgable folks here) that this will work. He used this with a set of Aquilas. Perhaps you can give this a shot and see if it works for you.

As of this time I am looking for Worth's, seem at this point they're hard to come by. Thanks for this info that I may consider as soon as I can find some of these strings.

Interesting info to know, never thought I could make these adjustments to my strings. Thanks!

Top Bottom