COncert Uke Bridge Style

cclancy

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

This is my first post here, but I'm active on the ANZLF and am coming to uke building from a guitar building background.

I've been putting together some spruce topped 12 fret concert uke's and have reached the point of having to decide which type of bridge to make for them. (All have an african mahogany bridge plate & 2 fan braces)

Since I'm not a uke 'player' (yet) I'm not sure what string attachments are prefered by you/your clients.

It makes no real difference to me as a builder, so please fire away with your knowledge and opinions.

Cheers
Craig

For smaller ukes like the soprano or concert, I prefer the string through method. With this method the mass of the bridge can be reduced, the bridge will never pull off due to string pressure, the break angle is good, there is nothing to wear out like slots or a tie block and the design in clean looking. You simply feed the string through the bridge hole, fish the end of the string out the sound hole, slip on a small bead and tie off the end so the knot can come through the bead. Pull the string tight up against the bridge patch and attach the other end to the tuner.

String through is good if you use a hardwood bridge plate. Since I tend to use spruce or pine bridge plates for sopranos and concerts it is not a method I would chose for my ukulele. On tenors which can have either a spruce, koa or mahogay bridgeplate, a tie or pin bridge I am going to match the choice of plate material to the bridge design.

I prefer the 12 hole bridge.

View attachment 26627

Hehehe,....that's the 1st i've ever seen or heard of a 12 holer uke bridge. Clever.......

.....ever have the single strand pull thru where it's locked in against the bridge side?

I don't see you doing it, but i think i would ball up the ends with a match before i tightened it all up on the bridge.

I've always been partial to the tied on classical guitar type bridge. I feel that when the knots are done right, it looks really nice, almost dignified. Before I had one, I always wanted a classical guitar so I could have those tied on strings. That also aided in my decision to purchase my Oscar Schmidt OU-2 a couple of years ago. It had the tied on string bridge, and I love the looks of it. It's also one of the reasons, besides sound and feel, I wanted the Lanikai ST uke. I've always been kind of a weirdo though :)

Dan

Last edited:
Pete, in the case where the bridge patch is spruce or other soft woods, you can use a small brass flat washer to rest up against the wood. No digging into the wood.

G'day Craig;

On Soprano's and Concerts my clients are split between through the bridge and tied like on a classical guitar. On the soprano my preference is through the bridge while the concert is tied. On tenors almost everyone is asking for pinned bridges.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
I've switching thoughts between the classical style and using bridge pins, but to be honest, even the little ebony pins I've got look a bit big & silly on the little concert bridge.
So I think I'll go for the classical style - and may even try the 12 hole style as shown by Mr Two Dogs.
Will post some pics when done.
In the meantime, here's a teaser.
Cheers
Uke Table.jpg

Nah Allen, it's cold at night in the desert & I need firewood.

That must be why, just on sunset tonight, I put a router through the side of one of the ukes!

And then there were five....

Puncture.jpg

That's not to mention the way all these started out.
Six sides worth of more firewood.

Firewood.jpg
Burn Baby Burn :mad::mad::mad:

(So much for my new 'Bending Machine' :wallbash:. At this point I went back to bending by hand)

Top Bottom