Makai Mango Series M-K90 Tenor

robin_sutliff

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts they'd share about the Makai Mango Series M-K90 Tenor ukelele?

I'm looking to buy my first instrument. I want something that's fairly easy to play with a good tone. I know guitars and mandolins so I'm not really familiar with Mango as a tone wood.

I don't want to spend more than $5-600 (of course, less is better) - if anyone has any other favorites they'd like to share for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks! I really dig this forum!

I'm pretty new to the uke, but I shop around a lot and read the forums regularly. More experienced ukers will undoubtedly provide their opinions. Here is my take.
Makai has a reputation for making inexpensive instruments that are a good value, IF set up properly. They do not normally come up in conversations when someone is looking for a quality instrument in the price ranges you are mentioned. For a $500-$600 dollar NEW tenor I would look at Pono, Honu/Big Island, Sailor and Mele. Where you buy can be as important as the brand. Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic, and Hawaiian Music Supply all have a reputation for selling instruments with excellent set ups.

In the interest of full disclosure, I just bought a solid mahogany Big Island uke from Mim and love it.

Makai offers a decent instrument for the price..

I own one of their mango sopranos and the sound is surprisingly full with rich, sweet overtones. It's not a flawless instrument, but it certainly gets the job done...

Most people will tell you to just buy a Mainland for around the same price though, and I would have to agree. However, if you're not a big fan of the rope binding then just go with an Ohana instead. Give Mike a call at UkeRepublic. I couldn't imagine a better place to purchase from! He's a very nice guy and extremely helpful. He does an excellent set-up on all of his ukuleles as well. You can't go wrong!

Top Bottom