Mojo - What is it?

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Mojo arrived in the form of Eugene Ukuleles Collings ukulele.

The custom case hints at it. It fits the uke like a nice pressed suit.

Usually, I can't play a Collings . I'm too afraid I'll drop it and have to pay for it. Or I'll scratch it.

Mojo don't care about scratches.

Its the fact that I see Eugene Ukulele's strumming marks etched into the soundboard lets me know I don't have to baby this and worry about putting marks on it.

Mojo is the telltale signs that the instrument has been played hard. With obvious reckless loving abandon.

Just cool s**. Thanks for the great uke Eugene Ukulele.

Agreed.

For me it was this....

Mojo: When Jake plays your uke.

I got another mojo story that deals with another instrument.

Mojo is like a teacher. or a liberator.

There is a friend of the family that is an amazing ukulele player, drummer, and dancer. I had just purchased an ukulele in Hawaii from Emil Bader who made the ukulele for me, it was maybe one month old and in pristine shape. She was visiting and I was playing it and she said, "Ooooh, can I play it?" I handed it over and she starts SHREDDING on it, just making the most amazing polynesian rhythms, it sounded like four or five people playing ukulele at once. I was just in awe. After she was done, she hands it back to me and says, "I like it, it sounds real good!"

There are 1000 scratches in the gloss finish above and below the soundhole. I don't care one bit. I now know what this instrument can do and I hope to be able to replicate it some day. That is Mojo!

Dominator played my Pono at UWC and it was a similar experience for me, but he played a mellower song that did not require scratching the finish :)

I wonder if I could get the pope to bless or play my ukes. Perhaps that would instil the "mojo" my ukes need.

MoJo is what was ALL over my Gibson Les Paul when I first got it. It was obtained from an old road musician that played it long and hard on road tour gigs for years. It was beat to hell by the time I got the box of firewood. MoJo is a bitter/sweet thang.. ;) Battle scars, but also battle earned metals of honor.. ;)

Mojo is sold in little bags by various shops here in New Orleans (true!). Each "priest"/vendor has their own formula. Formulae can be varied depending on the type of mojo you need. Usually worn around a human neck, I suppose it could be adapted for the ukulele neck as well.

Last edited:
Mojo is that magical essence that makes your music make others wish they could duplicate it. Mojo is also something I know all about but got none of! :(

Prior to going to UWC, I went to a Harmonica jam camp to learn how to play the blues with a real professional band. They had 5 musicians who sang and played harmonica and who we took workshops with for 5 days - all day. One guy made an impression on me and I've worked everyday since to get his tone. I've ordered 2 custom harmonicas from him and in the meantime, I play and practice on my mere mortal harmonicas to get that tone. Sometimes, the tone isn't there and sometimes it shines and you know why you work on it everyday. But until you know where you want to be, you won't try to get there.

At that workshop, I learned a few blues background progressions on the uke. Again, I'm not where I want to be but I know now what it does sound like.

I am excited that I feel I can play this Collings and not have it sit around saving its aesthetic appeal. If people ask whey there are strum marks, I'll smile because I know why.

Hey Frank

so rapt the uke has arrived safe and sound mate.

Yeah, I used to want to keep my ukes prettied up, free from any wear whatsoever. Shucks, I was sometimes too scared to really play them for fear of leaving marks etc. Thankfully I came out the other side of that. Life is just too short to have a beautiful, playable instrument sitting in a case, eh.

Play that Collings with gay abandon mate. It really responds when you dig in. It has a gorgeous, well balanced, loud and crunchy tone. I miss it bad.

i don't believe in mojo.
i believe in players, good/bad instruments, but mojo ..????

i don't believe in mojo.
i believe in players, good/bad instruments, but mojo ..????

You got to try it. The next time you see a professional musician playing well, ask to play their instrument. Tell them you want some of their mojo. They will understand. haha.

I didn't believe in it; but, I think it helps. Eugene's words above say it all.

To me it's the essence of a prior musician plus a well played instrument's longing to be played. The first time I really got into my vintage Kamaka, it played me, cuz I couldn't play half that good. Sadly I think I used it all up, because now I'm not even able to do half of the half I did back then.

And you're thinking "Mojito". Rum, crushed mint, lime, sugar syrup IIRC. Rum, mmm.

Last edited:
I just got done spending 45 minutes playing the Cure's In Between Days on Eugene's Mojo Uke and I can't figure how Eugene let that little minx go.

Damned, it sounds good.

All. time. most. favorite. purchase. ever.

My Mojo is currently getting unemployment, but I hope to have my Mojo Working Sometime Soon.

-Kurt

Top Bottom