Cordoba La Playa Tenor Uke??? Anyone have one or played one?

PedalFreak

Reaction score
Anyone have or have played this uke before? I see them forsale but other than MusiciansFriends website can't find anyone that has one.

I'm going to be doing some traveling and don't want to take my Pono or Kamaka. Thought this looked pretty good for what I needed, thought about putting some PegHed's on it as a slight upgrade.

Any thoughts on it?

I have the 20TM-CE. Assume both solid topped tenors would sound nearly the same. I was shocked to hear how bright and resonant these Cordobas are (although I prefer to get a used one at a big bargain.) Mine came with Aquilas and I thought it was too bright, so I put on Hilo Low Gs with wound 3 and 4. Awesome! I'm sure you'd get similar results of not better with Ko'olau Alohis. Intonation was spot on and I hear mostly favorable reviews, especially from folks who own one. Fret ends smooth. Would probably benefit from a bone saddle. Would get another if shopping in this price range (looking at the concerts)

I have the Cordoba La Playa Donavon Frankenreiter signature model tenor. I presume that's the one you're inquiring about, as it seems to be the only La Playa model uke. It was my very first uke that I got two years ago. :)

It's mahogany, so on the mellower side tone wise, not as loud as some other woods, but very sweet sounding.

I've heard some people say that Cordoba's quality can be hit or miss, but this one's about as good as it could possibly get. Not a single quibble from me about the fit/finish. Frets are perfectly dressed, action and intonation are excellent. The finish is satin, the rosette is rather plain and there's no fancy binding. Overall, it's a very good playing uke, but not flashy by any means. The only thing I did was swap out the original Aquilas for some Worth Browns.

For the price ($149) and what it is, I think it's a very good value. :)

I looked at the la Playa specs on line, but bought a TM20. I got the TM20 for $149 from my local dealer, the same as the La Playa was listed for. The La Playa bag may be heavier duty tan the TM20 gig bag. I will say that I do like my Cordoba Mahogany tenor ukulele. It doesn't have the same tone as the Kala Cedar top, but will hold its own, and the setup out of the box was/is sweet! I use my Fluke as the travel uke however, because the case is narrower at the lower bout than than the Kala hard case I keep the Cordoba in, so it fits more easily in the overhead bins on commuter flights.

.............-Kurt

Top Bottom