Koa Mail Order Lottery: Did I win - or not?

blab

Reaction score
Hi,

got this Kamaka HF-3:

003.jpg

004.jpg

The sides are noticeably lighter than the top and back. The headstock veneer is also lighter than the top. It's a bit less noticeable in a photo.

However, I love the top wood structure and the fretboard/bridge color.

I'm leaning towards keeping it. What do you think?

There was no contest. :) By "mail order lottery" I meant, that you never know how the Koa will be, when you order from a seller who doesn't post photos of the actual instrument. So it's always possible to get something you don't like as much.

There was no contest. :) By "mail order lottery" I meant, that you never know how the Koa will be, when you order from a seller who doesn't post photos of the actual instrument. So it's always possible to get something you don't like as much.

Gotcha. Again, it looks great. Enjoy!

Hard to say if you "won". What's it sound and feel like to you?

Looks nice to me. Playability and sound is the variable that concerns me the most. Looks come next.

I'm confused. Why wouldn't you keep it?
Sorry if I'm missing something important... but I really don't see the issue here.

likewise. What exactly is the problem? If you don't like it, you can always send it to my house!

I think it looks great, just how a Koa ukulele should.....there is a ton of color variation in Koa, as I am sure you know and one of the great things about it is that it isn't evenly colored like Mahogany. Plus, over the years, the color changes depending on how much light it sees.....I think you got a winner!

Congrats on the new Kamaka!

Thanks for the replies. The issue (if it is one) is that the sides are much lighter than the top and back. I did not expect that at all.

Playability and tone are great.

Thanks for the replies. The "issue" is that the sides are much lighter than the top and back. I did not expect that at all.

I wouldn't let that bother you. The beauty of natural wood is that it adds uniqueness and character to the instrument. If it makes you feel better, my solid spruce topped Lanikai ST's top is lighter than the rest of the instrument :)

Dan

Thanks for the replies. The issue (if it is one) is that the sides are much lighter than the top and back. I did not expect that at all.

The color differences wouldn't bother me... But to each their own.

I wouldnt' kick it out the bed for eating sharp cheddar cheese cheetos.

BTW, given playability and tone are great, where did you get it? I'm sure others would like to add another trusted supplier to the list. Was it setup by them or came with the factory setup?

Its looks add to its uniqueness. Congrats on the Kamaka, enjoy it.

It seems a bit silly (to me) to return an instrument that you enjoy, that feels good, and that sounds good just because the sides and the top/back don't match perfectly in color. Or because you aren't 100% enamored with the grain pattern.

Playing well is more important than looking perfect. Unless, of course, you're using it as a show piece.

I wouldn't worry about the color either. Just curious did you buy from a dealer? I'm surprised that a dealer wouldn't supply you with pics first. I bought mine from a dealer that provided a ton of pics on their website of the actual uke.

I agree with most here...IF you really did care about looks, you would have asked for pics. IF I got a great price for it, I wouldn't care of the color. IF I paid full retail, I would just get it at a local store.

Personally, I think it would be difficult for the front, back, and sides to all match as you have a tenor uke and we all know how much koa varies.

Thanks everyone for putting things into perspective. :)

Setup is factory, I'm not really qualified to comment on it. I just meant I'm happy with it.

I was going to ask for pictures but it came weeks earlier than announced.

Going to keep it. :)

Talk about being picky! If you wanted something where all the components match perfectly you probably should've gotten a synthetic uke. Enjoy all the variations that a beautiful wood like koa can offer! Should all the clouds in the sky match each other? Wood is a natural material, it will have variations. Even within the same board of koa, the range can be from blonde to dark and from A to 4A. It can even go from flat sawn to quarter sawn within the same board.

Last edited:
^^^ What's wrong with being picky on a $1000 instrument? I have two weeks to send it back, after that I'm going to keep it for the rest of my life. So if there may be an issue (even with aesthetics) now is the time to think about it.

Of course there's great variation in Koa. But I was also under the impression that some matching of the different wood parts is done (example). To what extent - I don't know and I'd be happy to learn more about it.

Top Bottom