ordering strings for new Hamano tenor

geezer

Reaction score
I just received my new Hamano mahogany tenor. Beautiful uke! Finish, detail, joints are all excellent. Vivid mahogany grain. And, even with my lack of skill, the sound is full and rich. In tune at 12th fret on all four strings.

I'm having to work a little with the friction tuner pegs, but I think that once the strings get stretched, they will be okay. I recommend it to all.

I'm about to order strings, and it appears that accepted wisdom is to try them all until you are satisfied (or get tired of changing).

I'm ordering Aquila Nylgut, Worth clear, and Ko'olau Gold.

Any others I should try?

Also, I just bought a banjo uke. Does it use same strings as soprano uke?

There's Worth Browns, Blackline (another fluorocarbon string) and D'addario.

I have a set of Koolau Gold all nylon that I will give you. I don't like them and don't know anyone who does (not that they are bad or anything).

P.S. Please post a pic of your new uke!

I just received my new Hamano mahogany tenor. Beautiful uke! Finish, detail, joints are all excellent. Vivid mahogany grain. And, even with my lack of skill, the sound is full and rich. In tune at 12th fret on all four strings.

I'm having to work a little with the friction tuner pegs, but I think that once the strings get stretched, they will be okay. I recommend it to all.

I'm about to order strings, and it appears that accepted wisdom is to try them all until you are satisfied (or get tired of changing).

I'm ordering Aquila Nylgut, Worth clear, and Ko'olau Gold.

Any others I should try?

Also, I just bought a banjo uke. Does it use same strings as soprano uke?

I have the same uke. Very sweet instrument. My 2 cents on the strings. I put on Aquila and did not like so much. Then ordered the Worth clear and really like them the best. Enjoy your Hamano.

thanks for the replies

Thanks,
I will post pics soon, and I will let you know which strings sound best.

The uke has some really nice mahogany grain and I want to show it off. The satin finish gives it a classic look. Now I need to quit spending so much time on the Internet and spend more time practicing so my playing will start to do justice to the uke. I'm an old cornet player from my school days, but I'm very new to the ukulele.

Learnin' and lovin' it!

Hi Geezer. I'm glad you're having a great time with your new uke! Let us know how your journey goes.

The Uke Talk section would be a better place for this thread, however. I'll move it there now.

So I'm the only one who likes the Ko'olau golds? :eek:
Braddah, no worry too much about it. Like Russ said, if you like it and works for you, das all dat mattahs. Just enjoy playing. I don't think anyone will be down on you because you use a certain brand of string.

Top Bottom