When is a Ukulele not an Ukulele anymore?

Sir

Reaction score
I mean, when I pick any of my Ukes up, I expect four strings. They each sound a bit different (especially the low G), but 5 strings? 6 strings? (that's a guitar surely?) 8 strings? And now Pippin shows us 10 string.

When did the Ukulele stop being a four string re-entrant instrument?

"When is a Ukulele not an Ukulele anymore? "

I mean, when I pick any of my Ukes up, I expect four strings. They each sound a bit different (especially the low G), but 5 strings? 6 strings? (that's a guitar surely?) 8 strings? And now Pippin shows us 10 string.

....when it's in the hands of Jake Shimabukuro,........

.....then i don't know what the hell it is,........but it ain't like no 4 string ukulele i ever heard! :D

The Tiple is not a ukulele at all, it is a Latin-American instrument by origin. Martin made them in the 1920s-40s. Ohana has made this reproduction of a Martin Tiple. I will be making a chord chart for it.

In a 6 or 8 string ukulele, it's still played as though it's a 4 string ukulele to some extent.

The strings are double coursed (ie: close together), so you can fret them both as though they were 1 string.

180U-874_front-detail-2.jpg

See how in that picture, the strings are paired?

It is still very much a ukulele.
Same way a 12-string guitar is still a guitar.

Excellent topic! This thread should lead to some interesting reading.

It is just a different form of the same instrument for a different sound. The electric guitar is still considered a guitar, right? It works in the same way. There are still just four courses tuned gCEA, aDF#B, or even DGBE. It is still a uke.

gCEA wasn't even the original tuning of the ukulele, so you can't really complain about alternative tunings..

Note to self:

Say nothing about trees, race or generic drugs.

Four courses of double strings = mandolin. End of story. Next?

I have enough trouble with four strings, I can't imagine adding more into the mix. Oh, by the way, I have played a lot of 6 strings and 8 strings and realized that I suck...

Nay, thrice nay! It has SIX courses of double strings therefore it is a variation ( although a somewhat unplayable ) of the guitar. Next?

Some of the most traditional Hawaiian artists use 8 and 6 strings (and have for a long time). If Auntie Genoa Keawe played a 6 string, it's Haaaaawaiian.

There are 12 string guitars and baritone guitars. Nobody questions whether or not they are "guitars".

Some of the most traditional Hawaiian artists use 8 and 6 strings (and have for a long time). If Auntie Genoa Keawe played a 6 string, it's Haaaaawaiian.

There are 12 string guitars and baritone guitars. Nobody questions whether or not they are "guitars".

It's because the guitar players are busy playing while we are busy reading threads and trying to act like we are experts in the instrument!! I've played the uke for only 4 months and give a lot of advice on this thread!! Self deprication is ok HAHA

Hmmm... To me it is simply a question of using the correct, or at least universally accepted terminology. If I pour tomato sauce out of a glass recepticle that is supplied with a twist top- that is usually refered to around the world as a 'bottle'. If I have to saw off the top of a small metal container to get a similar product-that is usually refered to around the world as a 'can'. ergo 4 strings = ukulele. 6 strings =guitar. 8 strings = mandolin.
Resistance is futlie!!!

Ok, so my basses are now ukuleles, and so are violins, cellos, double basses,... :p

I guess I've been playing the ukulele for quite a bit longer than I thought.

Top Bottom