Mainland Red Cedar or Mango Soprano?

hibiscus

Reaction score
I just received my Mainland Mahogany Concert and love the sound of it, but because of arthritis, it is a little large for me. I'm thinking of ordering one of the above. Do you have one of them? Do you know what the differences in sound might be? I need the most sustain I can get from a soprano, because I can't strum and do a lot of fingerpicking solos.
Thanks!

The cedar is very soft wood, and scratches easily. Other than that, I'm not sure which would sound better. I would suspect the mango would have better sustain.

The cedar top is loud and snappy like a little Spanish guitar and the mango is sweet hows tonal qualities of mahogany but not as warm . Both are fine instruments so I say get em both:) The pineapples are also great!
I just received my Mainland Mahogany Concert and love the sound of it, but because of arthritis, it is a little large for me. I'm thinking of ordering one of the above. Do you have one of them? Do you know what the differences in sound might be? I need the most sustain I can get from a soprano, because I can't strum and do a lot of fingerpicking solos.
Thanks!

Thank you. I like the more mellow sound. I suppose I could get another mahogany, but it would be fun to have something different. I don't think I would like the cedar so well~ probably too punchy for my needs.

Mainlands Mango is like a quiet Koa. Thin but even. The Red Cedar has a real bark to it. Very loud. There is a lot of finish on the Red Cedar so I wouldn't worry too much about it being soft. It will hold up to a lot of playing just fine.

I wouldn't expect too much of a difference between soprano and concert. The scale length is not that much longer. I would play what you have for a while. Unless you just like to buy ukes. That's a whole nother situation. ;)

hey hibiscus. I have a mango soprano and it is one of my favorite instruments. It is bright and sweet but has enough warmth underneath. I reckon you'd love it!

My cedar/rosewood pineapple is the loudest of all my sopranos. It has a big full tone and actually has more volume than my solid mahogany Lanikai concert.

Top Bottom