Congrats to those who bought the 2 Moore Bettah's listed today

Doc_J

Reaction score
OK. I have been looking almost every day on the "For Sale" at the Moore Bettah Ukes site for 6 months. I was overjoyed to finally see Chuck has listed two new ukes for sale, only to find they had been sold within 20 minutes of their listing.

I have come to realize it is virtually impossible for me to ever get one of Chuck's ukes. But at least I can see pictures of his new ukes.

To the lucky folks that got these: Congrats and tell me how you did it.:)

Last edited:
Wow, those are beauties! I too check that page often, but how in the heck did they sell in 20 minutes??
Congrats to the new owners.

OK. I have been looking almost every day on the "For Sale" at the Moore Bettah Ukes site for 6 months. I was overjoyed to finally see Chuck has listed two new ukes for sale, only to find they had been sold within 20 minutes of their listing.

I have come to realize it is virtually impossible for me to ever get one of Chuck's ukes. But at least I can see pictures of his new ukes.

To the lucky folks that got these: Congrats and tell me how you did it.:)

I felt like i hit the lottery,.....just luck really! I was at the computer when his email notification popped up on my yahoo
account. I really wanted a Moore Bettah slotted headstock concert or tenor, but the 5-A Soprano was just too
pretty to resist. (i'm a wood lover,.....soundhole sniffer too)

I called almost immediately, but waited 5 minutes why i pulled out my other MB Soprano trying to decide if i should wait for a concert or tenor to come up. The tenor was still available when i decided to go with the soprano. The wood decided it for me. When i called i had to leave a message, as Chuck must have been busy somewhere.

.....but i then sent an email and was pleased to find a response in a short time that it was mine!

Anyway,....you know what will happen when a concert or tenor i like comes up,.......gonna be too late!

I'm going to have to slow down though,...until i get a few more guitars sold or one of my John Whiscombe .22 cal recoiless spring/piston air rifles. The rifle i just listed at $4150.00 , which is what i paid used. He only made about 412 rifles i believe, and retired a year or two ago. Some go for over $6K with additional caliber barrels. High power and completly recoiless thru his 2 opposing pistons coming together like clapping of the hands, cancelling out each other's momentum. Completely hand made and he also had a multi year waiting list before he cut it off in order to retire.
Sadly, one day Chuck will retire too..........but not for a long while!

.............and you thought ukes were pricey! :rotfl::uhoh::rotfl:

Last edited:
Congrats...I had a feeling it was you Joe...Hopefully you find a tenor and concert as well

Yeah,...me too,....

Now,....who's holding out on us and picked up the Tenor? :D

I am in the same boat. Have been looking everyday but no luck. I simply don't have my email up 24x7 and by the time I see it, it is way too late. I really want one of his Ukes but am slowly loosing hope. :(

I am in the same boat. Have been looking everyday but no luck. I simply don't have my email up 24x7 and by the time I see it, it is way too late. I really want one of his Ukes but am slowly loosing hope. :(

me too John. I checked everyday for a year+ and never got close. :(

I felt like i hit the lottery,.....just luck really! I was at the computer when his email notification popped up on my yahoo
account. ! :rotfl::uhoh::rotfl:

Congrats!

Joe what email notification is that? I'm not familiar with it. Please share! :)

Congratz to both buyers!

I noticed shipping was limited to the USA...Wonder if Chuck ever exports from the USA?

Chris

Congrats!

Joe what email notification is that? I'm not familiar with it. Please share! :)

Well,....Chuck saw my post in the marketplace forum where i was looking for a Moore Betta concert or tenor uke, and he was gracious enough to contact me to explain how tough his ukes are to find. I believe i requested to be put on a list of those possibly interested in any future ukulele's that might become available, since his build list is currently closed. His email came immediatly before it was posted publicly on his site.......

......but IF you aren't at the computer at that time either way it wouldn't have done much good! Only 20 minutes goes by and both were sold. The soprano i'm buying was the 1st to go,....maybe 5-10 minutes after it came up. I waited a few minutes while i got out my MB "Mermaid" soprano, and played a tune or two on it to try to help me decide,....

.....and YEP,.....THAT did the trick! No Brainer,.....had to have another! :D
(but even there i knew i was taking a risk by waiting a few minutes!)

The notification email came in at 8:18PM EST on my yahoo account. (4:18 PM Hawaii time since Hawaii isn't on daylight savings time) Not sure if Chuck is a creature of habit, but i gave you the exact time my email notification came in of his new offerings. If possible get on line an hour or two before then to a few hours after, just in case he is.

Around 4:00PM Hawaii time sounds logical,....getting close to the end of the work day,....a few details to take care of
and oh,...."maybe list a few ukes before i call it a night". This would allow a few hours to answer any email interest
before he shuts down for the night,.....literaly??? (not sure if he has much capacity after sundown with battery backup?)

Anyway,....just a hint but might be good to make sure to be around the computer in september around that time DAILY!
(i KNOW,.....probably shooting myself in the foot by telling you all this! ........just been there and been disappointed
before)

One thing i hadn't thought about but that i think helped me is that i just upgraded to the newer Yahoo version. I liked the old version, but kept getting bugged by their notices to upgrade and finally about a week ago accepted their offer to begin using the newer version.

I say that was a help because with the newer version, when you get a NEW email in and your're logged into yahoo but
just have it minimized, the bottom group of minimized pages begins flashing a darker blue to let you know you have a new email. I always go immediatly there to get rid of the usual junk email,.....just not junk this time!

So,.....upgrade to the new yahoo if you haven't already, get online and get Chucks page up,....and a final tip in the
Moore Betta lotto that i just thought of but will pass it along and use it myself,.....

.....get an email "draft" to Chuck all ready to go, wherein you state you wish to buy his (leave blank for now) ukulele if
it is still available! That will speed things along, and steady your shaky hands trying to type out the entire message!

That might be just the time savings to be first in! :smileybounce:

Last edited:
Geez, I'm sorry this is all so difficult. I really do feel bad about not being able to satisfy everyones wishes. Here's what the story is on my "Notification List"........
My wait list for custom instruments has been closed for quite a while yet I constantly get requests from people wanting my ukes. Rather than ignore them, I've decided to build one or two ukes a month to post for sale on my web site that anyone can purchase. I've gotten complaints from people who understandably can not monitor my site 24/7, so for those who have been repeatedly in touch with me inquiring about what I have for sale or getting on my wait list, I suggest they get on my Notification List. Being on this list means means they get a heads up immediately after I post new ukes. At the same time I get people who tell me that they are in a time zone 12 hours from me, or they're not going to be home on Saturdays, or Thursdays, whatever, so there is no real good time of day or day of the week to post these new ukes..... :(
Naturally, if a "walk-in" comes in to the shop and wants to buy an uke, I don't refuse them if the uke is not committed. That's why there may be long stretches of time where I don't have anything for sale on my web site. Then there are the few retail stores that I occasionally have to supply. Most of the ukes that go to these stores are already sold by the time they get them because the stores have their own waiting lists as well.
I thought the Notification List was a fair solution for those people who want one of my ukes but can't get one my wait list. I really don't want to exclude them. Maybe there's a better way to handle the situation, but right now I can't think of one.

Last edited:
......... Maybe there's a better way to handle the situation, but right now I can't think of one.

I don't think there is a better way,.....you're only one man and have high standards, and take a lot of time to complete each ukulele. Vastly higher production numbers are out of the question.

Something you might consider is having one of your monthly uncommitted ukes be reserved for a lottery
drawn at the end of the week. Folks wanting a shot at it submit their name to you during the week, and then you or your wife
draws the winner out of the group. (maybe draw a 2nd and 3rd place also in case the winner can't fulfill his committment for any reason)

That way there is no worry over time zones and such, and everyone showing serious interest has a pretty good shot
at buying one of your ukes after seeing it listed for 7 days. I can't imagine more than 40 or 75 names might be involved, considering the price ranges of your work. (and pretty reasonable if you ask me!)

Anyway,.....i think it may be another way to get a little less "timing" into the mix, and a chance for a lucky buyer once month (or as available) to own one of your ukes.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Geez, I'm sorry this is all so difficult. I really do feel bad about not being able to satisfy everyones wishes. Here's what the story is on my "Notification List"........
My wait list for custom instruments has been closed for quite a while yet I constantly get requests from people wanting my ukes. Rather than ignore them, I've decided to build one or two ukes a month to post for sale on my web site that anyone can purchase. I've gotten complaints from people who understandably can not monitor my site 24/7, so for those who have been repeatedly in touch with me inquiring about what I have for sale or getting on my wait list, I suggest they get on my Notification List. Being on this list means means they get a heads up immediately after I post new ukes. At the same time I get people who tell me that they are in a time zone 12 hours from me, or they're not going to be home on Saturdays, or Thursdays, whatever, so there is no real good time of day or day of the week to post these new ukes..... :(
Naturally, if a "walk-in" comes in to the shop and wants to buy an uke, I don't refuse them if the uke is not committed. That's why there may be long stretches of time where I don't have anything for sale on my web site. Then there are the few retail stores that I occasionally have to supply. Most of the ukes that go to these stores are already sold by the time they get them because the stores have their own waiting lists as well.
I thought the Notification List was a fair solution for those people who want one of my ukes but can't get one my wait list. I really don't want to exclude them. Maybe there's a better way to handle the situation, but right now I can't think of one.

Chuck we know you are doing the best you can and I for one appreciate the chance. One day I will score. You just keep on making em! Congrats to the lucky ones that got this batch.

Congrats, Chuck's ukes are the best, love mine so much

A lottery for all people in the list seems a good method?

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I think they're gross. Too much of that rich wood grain, masterfully done inlay, and the sound... well, like fingers on a chalk board to me. I don't want one. Especially those hideous tenors, you know, with the slotted-headstock, really cool rosette, funky extended fretboard and sound port. No thanks. Even if, let’s say, in September, hypothetically, Chuck were to PM me first and say one was available, I would tell him to move on to the next sucker. And then, even if he said I’m even gonna make you deal, please take it, I’d say, “Keep yer wannabe uke.” Yep, that’s what I would do. Again, especially if it were one of those tenors with the slotted-headstock, floral inlay, AAAA koa and sound port.

Psst, UU’ers, you think he bought it? Trying the old reverse psychology play. Gotta try something because if the lottery angle has legs, I’m roughly 0 for 14,678 when it comes to lotteries.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I think they're gross. Too much of that rich wood grain, masterfully done inlay, and the sound... well, like fingers on a chalk board to me. I don't want one. Especially those hideous tenors, you know, with the slotted-headstock, really cool rosette, funky extended fretboard and sound port. No thanks. Even if, let’s say, in September, hypothetically, Chuck were to PM me first and say one was available, I would tell him to move on to the next sucker. And then, even if he said I’m even gonna make you deal, please take it, I’d say, “Keep yer wannabe uke.” Yep, that’s what I would do. Again, especially if it were one of those tenors with the slotted-headstock, floral inlay, AAAA koa and sound port.

Psst, UU’ers, you think he bought it? Trying the old reverse psychology play. Gotta try something because if the lottery angle has legs, I’m roughly 0 for 14,678 when it comes to lotteries.

HAHA...Yeah I agree!! Don't get a MBU!! (increasing my odds in the lottery)

Top Bottom