Any Ohana Experts here?

delray48209

Reaction score
Ohana Question

I've grown very fond of Ohana Ukuleles. I currently own the Vita (CKP-70) and the Sopranino (SK-21). Can someone tell me the difference between the SK-25 and SK-35 solid mahogany ukuleles? Any difference in sound? Are they essentially the same with the SK-35 being upgraded with better tuners, etc.?

Last edited:
I suppose you could say that I am an expert.

Both are the same size, use the same grade of all-solid mahogany, have a bone nut and saddle, are fitted with Aquila Strings and have the same rosewood fingerboard. There are really one three differences.

1. The SK-35 comes in two finishes: gloss and matt.
2. The SK-35 has decorative rosewood binding and black and white purfling.
3. The SK-35 has Gotoh friction tuners. the SK-25 now comes with Grover geared tuners (the older models used friction pegs).

Hope this helps.

Ken
Ohana Ukuleles

Last edited:
Ken is definately 'the man' :)

The ones I've owned can easily hold their own against any K brand, and they have such an awesome range its impossible not to just want one, the sk-35g is what I recommend to everyone its a great uke.

I was gonna say "Ken is your man..".. But, I guess that is a mute point at current.. ;)

I have the SK-35, and it was my 1st uke, and I love it. Awesome uke for the money.

Thanks for the input. My hunch is confirmed regarding the differences between the SK-25 and SK-35. I agree with SRS-45's comment about Ohana holding it's own against the K Brands. I was at my local music dealer who is a Martin and a Kamaka dealer. I had a chance to play the Kamaka's for the first time. Only two were in stock. One was a soprano pineapple and the other was the soprano guitar shaped uke. For a price of $695, they were very disappointing in sound. I'm sure glad I had the chance to play them rather than just ordering one online. I would have been very disappointed if I had ordered online and received a Kamaka which sounded like either of the two I played. I walked out of the store with a new Flea which blew the doors off of all the high priced ukes in the store. As since there are no Ohana dealers in St Louis, I've decided to order an SK-25 online. Based on the two that I own and others that I have played at Ohana dealers, I have not doubt the SK-25 will meet my expectations. It's difficult to beat the Ohana's price point.

I never even played a K brand. i would like to, just for the comparison. But, Ohana, even being a factory build uke, are really nice sounding uke. My SK-35 spoiled me right from the start. Very affordable, and very pleasant sound. I still play it every so often.

In some cases, ya can't make judgement on any of them from one shop. Ya have to play lots of them, from lots of shops. Over the 35 years I been playing I have found that many shops just take them out of the box, and hang em on the wall. Many guitars, and I assume ukes too don't have proper set up before they display them. If I had a shop, I would be sure that all the ones hanging on the wall would have a top shelf set up, because a proper set up can make or break a deal for sure. For me, it would just be the cost of business that would pay for itself on sales. Someone pick up a guitar or uke they like the looks of, and it plays as it should from the first strum, it's already pretty much sold.

Ken is definately 'the man' :)

The ones I've owned can easily hold their own against any K brand, and they have such an awesome range its impossible not to just want one, the sk-35g is what I recommend to everyone its a great uke.

Couldn't agree more. I have the SK35G. I also have a Kala Acacia concert ukulele, the Ohana was around half the price but is louder and has a sweeter tone.

You can not go wrong with any Ohana. Heck... my SK-10 blue uke Ken gave has turned into my favorite go to uke lately! Ha! I think because I don't have to be but so careful with it, but it sounds super. And the intonation is great.

I never even played a K brand. i would like to, just for the comparison. But, Ohana, even being a factory build uke, are really nice sounding uke. My SK-35 spoiled me right from the start. Very affordable, and very pleasant sound. I still play it every so often.

In some cases, ya can't make judgement on any of them from one shop. Ya have to play lots of them, from lots of shops. Over the 35 years I been playing I have found that many shops just take them out of the box, and hang em on the wall. Many guitars, and I assume ukes too don't have proper set up before they display them. If I had a shop, I would be sure that all the ones hanging on the wall would have a top shelf set up, because a proper set up can make or break a deal for sure. For me, it would just be the cost of business that would pay for itself on sales. Someone pick up a guitar or uke they like the looks of, and it plays as it should from the first strum, it's already pretty much sold.
Good Point Tudorp...many stores don't even tune them and they are with stock strings yet...Hard to evauate them in that perspective...any brand ukulele for that matter....

Top Bottom