Singing lessons

It's all subjective! What works for you may not work for someone else.

I would look to match their teaching style with the way in which you learn best. Ask them how they teach and call their references.

How you tell if they're good is by your progress!!!

Where you stay? I have a coach that works for me in Orange County.

Where in VA? I know folks in Arlington and Falls Church that I can ask. I will also ask my coach when I see her tonight.

Sweet! I live in Leesburg. Arlington and Falls Church is anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on traffic!

I didn't forget about you your deachness! My voice coach didn't know of anyone. I am going to see some folks next week from DC and VA who may be of assistance. Will keep you posted...Cheers!

I didn't forget about you your deachness! My voice coach didn't know of anyone. I am going to see some folks next week from DC and VA who may be of assistance. Will keep you posted...Cheers!

Thanks but I found one this weekend. and today, I had my first lesson! Scary s**! Talk about feeling vulnerable. I felt more comfortable posting a video of me in the bathtub.

Details? One of the guys at the store where I take uke lessons said anyone can learn to sing. I would be terrified to take voice lessons. You got guts Deach.

Details? .....

I got there 10 minutes early to try to calm my nerves. I brought an extra shirt because I knew I would sweat through the one I was wearing. Walked up to the door, turned around, started walking to the car, turned around, walked up to the door, turned around, starting walking back to the car again, turned around and there she was....the instructor! She told me to get inside and she assured me it would be ok. I got inside and asked her if she had a towel to soak up my sweat. She laughed and said yes, because I'm not the first one to do the walk-back-and-forth dance. So we talked a bit about my goals and she wasn't sure she could make me a rock star but she said she could help me out somewhat. We started of with some breathing exercises. Weird, but I was there already so I went with it. Then she got on the keyboard and told me to mimic the notes of chords she played. Talk about sweating! It was the first time I have ever tried to sing in front of anyone. Anyway, that went on for about 45 minutes. She taught me different techniques to "open up" my voice. When I did these techniques, we were both surprised at how loud I was. This came in handy last night when I was yelling at the kids. I was able to yell louder, clearer and longer and I didn't feel like my voice was straining. but I digress.... So she gave me her assessment of my voice and said she'd like to have me as a student. She gave me some exercises to do until the next time we meet. I left and changed my shirt.

I got there 10 minutes early to try to calm my nerves. I brought an extra shirt because I knew I would sweat through the one I was wearing. Walked up to the door, turned around, started walking to the car, turned around, walked up to the door, turned around, starting walking back to the car again, turned around and there she was....the instructor! She told me to get inside and she assured me it would be ok. I got inside and asked her if she had a towel to soak up my sweat. She laughed and said yes, because I'm not the first one to do the walk-back-and-forth dance. So we talked a bit about my goals and she wasn't sure she could make me a rock star but she said she could help me out somewhat. We started of with some breathing exercises. Weird, but I was there already so I went with it. Then she got on the keyboard and told me to mimic the notes of chords she played. Talk about sweating! It was the first time I have ever tried to sing in front of anyone. Anyway, that went on for about 45 minutes. She taught me different techniques to "open up" my voice. When I did these techniques, we were both surprised at how loud I was. This came in handy last night when I was yelling at the kids. I was able to yell louder, clearer and longer and I didn't feel like my voice was straining. but I digress.... So she gave me her assessment of my voice and said she'd like to have me as a student. She gave me some exercises to do until the next time we meet. I left and changed my shirt.

a little vague deach. i'm gonna need you to elaborate a little more.

Man, you have perhaps he most clever sense of humor on this site. I too find that using proper voice technique really does make my children cringe, lol!! Congrats on finding a voice coach and following through, you'll be surprised at how fast it can take off once you have just the basics, like riding a bike I suppose. Have fun with it...by the way, thanks for NOT showing us pictures of you in the bath....whew.

a little vague deach. i'm gonna need you to elaborate a little more.

It was pleasant and sunny September day. The light breeze made it seem like the high cirrocumulus clouds were slowly walking by. Due to being raised in a military family, I arrived at the studio 10 minutes early. I parked and turned the car off but left the keys in the ignition. As Jason Mraz played in the background, I wiped the perspiration that had formed on my shaved head from anticipation. I soaked through two or three of those white napkins from the McDonald's bag and decided it was time to do this. I grabbed my keys and exited my car. Keeping my head down I nervously shuffled towards the door. I tried to keep my mind off the task at hand and paid more attention to the roots from the large oak tree that were starting to crumble the asphalt driveway. As I approached the door, a sudden fear struck me and I abruptly turned around and began the walk of shame towards my car. As I walked back I thought of Theordore Roosevelt's quote
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
and decided to turn back and fight my fears. I walked towards the door again. This time with determination and attitude. As I approached the door, I could hear a student running through the scales in an operetic voice. I thought, there is no way I could even attempt to duplicate that. As I began to retreat to my safe place, the large wooden and stained glass door opened. The instructor stood there and in a calm and confident voice and said "you must be deach." As the sweat soaked through my shirt, I could barely form the words to answer her. The instructor, a twenty-something, waif-like pixe with golden hair and sparkling teeth, giggled. She assured me it wouldn't be as bad as I thought and I had nothing to worry about. Her inviting smile and playful demeanor made it difficult to resist her invitation. I decided to accept.

detailed enough? need more?

Last edited:
It was pleasant and sunny September day. The light breeze made it seem like the high cirrocumulus clouds were slowly walking by. Due to being raised in a military family, I arrived at the studio 10 minutes early. I parked and turned the car off but left the keys in the ignition. As Jason Mraz played in the background, I wiped the perspiration that had formed on my shaved head from anticipation. I soaked through two or three of those white napkins from the McDonald's bag and decided it was time to do this. I grabbed my keys and exited my car. Keeping my head down I nervously shuffled towards the door. I tried to keep my mind off the task at hand and paid more attention to the roots from the large oak tree that were starting to crumble the asphalt driveway. As I approached the door, a sudden fear struck me and I abruptly turned around and began the walk of shame towards my car. As I walked back I thought of Theordore Roosevelt's quote and decided to turn back and fight my fears. I walked towards the door again. This time with determination and attitude. As I approached the door, I could hear a student running through the scales in an operetic voice. I thought, there is no way I could even attempt to duplicate that. As I began to retreat to my safe place, the large wooden and stained glass door opened. The instructor stood there and in a calm and confident voice and said "you must be deach." As the sweat soaked through my shirt, I could barely form the words to answer her. The instructor, a twenty-something, waif-like pixe with golden hair and sparkling teeth, giggled. She assured me it wouldn't be as bad as I thought and I had nothing to worry about. Her inviting smile and playful demeanor made it difficult to resist her invitation. I decided to accept.

look out Anne Rice, Deach Rice is here to take your job!

thanks for the play-by-play. tales of your bravery shall be spread throughout the land. can you recommend some mraz tunes? i hear this guy is good.

can you recommend some mraz tunes? i hear this guy is good.[/QUOTE]

Is he the guy that does I'm Yours?

Unfortunately my curiosity got the best of me and I have subsequently seen all your videos, including the bathing beard one. Truly, I wish I hadn't now. lol.:eek:

Top Bottom