PDA

View Full Version : Singing lessons

deach
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I NEED them!!!!! How do I know an instructor is any good. What do I ask? What do I look for? Please help or suffer from my bad singing.

ke leo
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
It's all subjective! What works for you may not work for someone else.

I would look to match their teaching style with the way in which you learn best. Ask them how they teach and call their references.

How you tell if they're good is by your progress!!!

Where you stay? I have a coach that works for me in Orange County.

deach
08-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Where you stay? I have a coach that works for me in Orange County.

The east coast. Know anyone in Virginia?

ke leo
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
The east coast. Know anyone in Virginia?

Where in VA? I know folks in Arlington and Falls Church that I can ask. I will also ask my coach when I see her tonight.

deach
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Where in VA? I know folks in Arlington and Falls Church that I can ask. I will also ask my coach when I see her tonight.

Sweet! I live in Leesburg. Arlington and Falls Church is anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on traffic!

ke leo
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I didn't forget about you your deachness! My voice coach didn't know of anyone. I am going to see some folks next week from DC and VA who may be of assistance. Will keep you posted...Cheers!

deach
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I didn't forget about you your deachness! My voice coach didn't know of anyone. I am going to see some folks next week from DC and VA who may be of assistance. Will keep you posted...Cheers!

Thanks but I found one this weekend. and today, I had my first lesson! Scary shit! Talk about feeling vulnerable. I felt more comfortable posting a video of me in the bathtub.

sukie
09-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Details? One of the guys at the store where I take uke lessons said anyone can learn to sing. I would be terrified to take voice lessons. You got guts Deach.

deach
09-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Details? .....

I got there 10 minutes early to try to calm my nerves. I brought an extra shirt because I knew I would sweat through the one I was wearing. Walked up to the door, turned around, started walking to the car, turned around, walked up to the door, turned around, starting walking back to the car again, turned around and there she was....the instructor! She told me to get inside and she assured me it would be ok. I got inside and asked her if she had a towel to soak up my sweat. She laughed and said yes, because I'm not the first one to do the walk-back-and-forth dance. So we talked a bit about my goals and she wasn't sure she could make me a rock star but she said she could help me out somewhat. We started of with some breathing exercises. Weird, but I was there already so I went with it. Then she got on the keyboard and told me to mimic the notes of chords she played. Talk about sweating! It was the first time I have ever tried to sing in front of anyone. Anyway, that went on for about 45 minutes. She taught me different techniques to "open up" my voice. When I did these techniques, we were both surprised at how loud I was. This came in handy last night when I was yelling at the kids. I was able to yell louder, clearer and longer and I didn't feel like my voice was straining. but I digress.... So she gave me her assessment of my voice and said she'd like to have me as a student. She gave me some exercises to do until the next time we meet. I left and changed my shirt.

elemenohpee
09-12-2008, 03:34 AM
I got there 10 minutes early to try to calm my nerves. I brought an extra shirt because I knew I would sweat through the one I was wearing. Walked up to the door, turned around, started walking to the car, turned around, walked up to the door, turned around, starting walking back to the car again, turned around and there she was....the instructor! She told me to get inside and she assured me it would be ok. I got inside and asked her if she had a towel to soak up my sweat. She laughed and said yes, because I'm not the first one to do the walk-back-and-forth dance. So we talked a bit about my goals and she wasn't sure she could make me a rock star but she said she could help me out somewhat. We started of with some breathing exercises. Weird, but I was there already so I went with it. Then she got on the keyboard and told me to mimic the notes of chords she played. Talk about sweating! It was the first time I have ever tried to sing in front of anyone. Anyway, that went on for about 45 minutes. She taught me different techniques to "open up" my voice. When I did these techniques, we were both surprised at how loud I was. This came in handy last night when I was yelling at the kids. I was able to yell louder, clearer and longer and I didn't feel like my voice was straining. but I digress.... So she gave me her assessment of my voice and said she'd like to have me as a student. She gave me some exercises to do until the next time we meet. I left and changed my shirt.

a little vague deach. i'm gonna need you to elaborate a little more.

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Man, you have perhaps he most clever sense of humor on this site. I too find that using proper voice technique really does make my children cringe, lol!! Congrats on finding a voice coach and following through, you'll be surprised at how fast it can take off once you have just the basics, like riding a bike I suppose. Have fun with it...by the way, thanks for NOT showing us pictures of you in the bath....whew.

deach
09-12-2008, 05:18 AM
...by the way, thanks for NOT showing us pictures of you in the bath....whew.

Guess you haven't seen my video....

deach
09-12-2008, 05:19 AM
a little vague deach. i'm gonna need you to elaborate a little more.

It was pleasant and sunny September day. The light breeze made it seem like the high cirrocumulus clouds were slowly walking by. Due to being raised in a military family, I arrived at the studio 10 minutes early. I parked and turned the car off but left the keys in the ignition. As Jason Mraz played in the background, I wiped the perspiration that had formed on my shaved head from anticipation. I soaked through two or three of those white napkins from the McDonald's bag and decided it was time to do this. I grabbed my keys and exited my car. Keeping my head down I nervously shuffled towards the door. I tried to keep my mind off the task at hand and paid more attention to the roots from the large oak tree that were starting to crumble the asphalt driveway. As I approached the door, a sudden fear struck me and I abruptly turned around and began the walk of shame towards my car. As I walked back I thought of Theordore Roosevelt's quote
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." and decided to turn back and fight my fears. I walked towards the door again. This time with determination and attitude. As I approached the door, I could hear a student running through the scales in an operetic voice. I thought, there is no way I could even attempt to duplicate that. As I began to retreat to my safe place, the large wooden and stained glass door opened. The instructor stood there and in a calm and confident voice and said "you must be deach." As the sweat soaked through my shirt, I could barely form the words to answer her. The instructor, a twenty-something, waif-like pixe with golden hair and sparkling teeth, giggled. She assured me it wouldn't be as bad as I thought and I had nothing to worry about. Her inviting smile and playful demeanor made it difficult to resist her invitation. I decided to accept.

detailed enough? need more?

russ_buss
09-12-2008, 05:29 AM
It was pleasant and sunny September day. The light breeze made it seem like the high cirrocumulus clouds were slowly walking by. Due to being raised in a military family, I arrived at the studio 10 minutes early. I parked and turned the car off but left the keys in the ignition. As Jason Mraz played in the background, I wiped the perspiration that had formed on my shaved head from anticipation. I soaked through two or three of those white napkins from the McDonald's bag and decided it was time to do this. I grabbed my keys and exited my car. Keeping my head down I nervously shuffled towards the door. I tried to keep my mind off the task at hand and paid more attention to the roots from the large oak tree that were starting to crumble the asphalt driveway. As I approached the door, a sudden fear struck me and I abruptly turned around and began the walk of shame towards my car. As I walked back I thought of Theordore Roosevelt's quote and decided to turn back and fight my fears. I walked towards the door again. This time with determination and attitude. As I approached the door, I could hear a student running through the scales in an operetic voice. I thought, there is no way I could even attempt to duplicate that. As I began to retreat to my safe place, the large wooden and stained glass door opened. The instructor stood there and in a calm and confident voice and said "you must be deach." As the sweat soaked through my shirt, I could barely form the words to answer her. The instructor, a twenty-something, waif-like pixe with golden hair and sparkling teeth, giggled. She assured me it wouldn't be as bad as I thought and I had nothing to worry about. Her inviting smile and playful demeanor made it difficult to resist her invitation. I decided to accept.

look out Anne Rice, Deach Rice is here to take your job!

thanks for the play-by-play. tales of your bravery shall be spread throughout the land. can you recommend some mraz tunes? i hear this guy is good.

sukie
09-12-2008, 07:25 AM
can you recommend some mraz tunes? i hear this guy is good.[/QUOTE]

Is he the guy that does I'm Yours?

deach
09-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Is he the guy that does I'm Yours?

Never heard of that song.

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately my curiosity got the best of me and I have subsequently seen all your videos, including the bathing beard one. Truly, I wish I hadn't now. lol.:eek:

deach
09-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately my curiosity got the best of me and I have subsequently seen all your videos, including the bathing beard one. Truly, I wish I hadn't now. lol.:eek:

lol .

ke leo
09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks but I found one this weekend. and today, I had my first lesson! Scary shit! Talk about feeling vulnerable. I felt more comfortable posting a video of me in the bathtub.

Cool. No need for the vid in the bathtub though :eek:

thesoobz
09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
dude is that really u in the video deach?

im so confused im relativly new so yeah.. hahaha

deach
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
dude is that really u in the video deach?

im so confused im relativly new so yeah.. hahaha

It was my stunt double.

thesoobz
09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
ahh icic. so how are the singing exercises going? or lessons

deach
09-17-2008, 01:59 AM
ahh icic. so how are the singing exercises going? or lessons

Lesson 2 happens Friday.

rayan
09-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Lesson 2 happens Friday.

I am excited for the 2nd lesson recap

sukie
09-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks Rayan, I was hating to have to ask again. Maybe I'm not the only nosy one here. It's cool to hear about someone doing something challenging.

deach
09-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks Rayan, I was hating to have to ask again. Maybe I'm not the only nosy one here. It's cool to hear about someone doing something challenging.

Just let me know the level of detail you want.

thesoobz
09-18-2008, 11:41 PM
everything about the lesson. HAHA nothign about how you go tthere and the weather.. AHAH! =)

deach
09-19-2008, 12:27 AM
everything about the lesson. HAHA nothign about how you go tthere and the weather.. AHAH! =)

But sometimes the journey is just as good as the destination.

Lesson was moved to Monday. :(

sukie
09-19-2008, 06:45 AM
"Lesson was moved to Monday. "

Good. This'll give me time to think about how much detail we need.:)

I'm kind of a nosy -- I prefer to think of it as curious -- person. Almost never too many details.
Sorry you have to wait. That's no fun.

deach
09-19-2008, 06:46 AM
.... Almost never too many details....

I am sure I could change your mind.

menehunenyc
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I am sure I could change your mind.

Careful folks what you ask for, you just may get it (i.e. like a naked beard picture:eek:

sukie
09-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Careful folks what you ask for, you just may get it (i.e. like a naked beard picture:eek:

I've seen it!:eek: Seriously though, what Deach is doing is, in my book, very courageous. It's nice to hear about people going out of their comfort level to learn new stuff. Plus I'm curious (or is it nosy?)

deach
09-22-2008, 08:58 AM
The warm air and the smell of the pending season change made the 45 minute drive to the studio bearable. As usual I arrived 10 minutes early. Gone was the sweat and the nervous anticipation. I felt confident as I collected my thoughts before my leaving the comfort of my car. As I walked toward the door, I smiled as I passed the now familiar crumbling driveway. Approaching the door, the faint sounds of a student practicing her arpeggios made my heart race and my sweat return. I quickly contemplated returning to the safety of my car to retrieve my towel however the door opened and the instructor's smile made me forget that thought. She jokingly tossed a white towel at me and asked if I was ready for a great session. Her jovial manner calmed my nerves and placed me at ease again.

As we walked to the studio my nervousness began to grow again. She turned and we stood face to face within arms reach. She placed her hand on my chest. She told me in a slow deliberate voice to breathe but not from my chest but from lower and deeper. She then placed her hand on her chest and demonstrated improper breathing. She pointed out specific body parts that were moving that shouldn't be. Her hands were placed on her expanding chest as she heaved in air. She then gently she moved them to her neck and shoulders. Although she explained that the movement from them was incorrect, her words were lost as I stood in and watched her magnificent form. "Breathe from deep within side you. Your whole body is your instrument. Singing should come from witihin." She raised her finger and instructed me to do the same. She began "shhh-ing" her finger and told me to imitate her. I did so being weary to breathe from my diaphragm and keeping my chest, neck and shoulders relaxed. Next she stuck out her tongue like a dog on a hot summer's. "I want you to pretend you are a dog panting. Stick out your tongue and remember to breathe for within."

After the breathing exercises she sat in front in the piano. She'd play a chord, the individual notes in the chord, sing the chord and then I was to sing. Throughout this exercise she'd correct my posture, my breathing and my mouth formations.

seeso
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
You sure this was a singing lesson? I need a cigarette.

sukie
09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Thank you Seeso. I was afraid to say that.

rayan
09-23-2008, 03:11 PM
That's a lot of chest touching....

deach
09-23-2008, 03:30 PM
That's a lot of chest touching....

She has a way of connecting with me.

salukulady
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Just found this thread.....Deach, this is wonderful. I am so happy you are doing this and didn't let your fears turn you away. Keep us posted on your lessons, your commentary is very entertaining.....

rayan
10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
No update from this week's lesson? :confused:

deach
10-02-2008, 02:41 AM
No update from this week's lesson? :confused:

I haven't taken my 3rd lesson yet. I'll be sure to update when I do.

Bruddah Kekoa
10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I haven't taken my 3rd lesson yet. I'll be sure to update when I do.

Deach,

I think you need to post of video of your next lesson and put this mystery singing teacher fantasy to rest once and for all.

Bruddah Kekoa

tozan
10-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Keep at it Deach! Cheering for you, since I can't sing. At least your voice coach thinks you have potential.

freedive135
10-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I have a feeling this will become my favorite thread to follow!!!!!

Thanks Deach for the laughs and the Idea to take singing lessons!!!!!!!

deach
10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Sadly, I had to let her go. Long distance relationships are truly an burdensome.

I am looking for an instructor closer to my home. I think I may have found one. Stay tuned.

BTWriter
11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing, Deach!

I've got my first voice lesson tomorrow.

*vomits*

I hope you keep with it and your new instructor works out.

deach
11-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, Deach!

I've got my first voice lesson tomorrow.

*vomits*

I hope you keep with it and your new instructor works out.

Cool! If you are prone to sweating when you are nervous, bring a towel and an extra shirt.

My new instructor's wife broke her leg 1/2 an hour before I was supposed to meet him so he canceled on me. I wonder, is this a sign?

salukulady
11-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Deach, do you have skype? I would love to help you sing!

deach
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Deach, do you have skype? I would love to help you sing!

I do. If I don't hear back from him by next week, I will take you up on that offer.

Thanks!

salukulady
11-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I do. If I don't hear back from him by next week, I will take you up on that offer.

Thanks!I am serious. I taught kids how to sing and dance for 17 years. My technics are very basic and easy. It's all about relaxing and having fun. Absolutely no pressure or anxiety. We'll just sing together and enjoy each others company. I'll never know you're sweating.

Besides, I'd love to meet you almost live! My skype name is Sally Cardinal.

CitizenSnips
11-16-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm actually planning on starting singing lessons soon as well. Theres only one guy near by who gives lessons and is a 30 minute drive away. I'm hoping its worth it.

I have one question though, he charges 80$ per lesson/hour. To me, that sounds pretty expensive, but I have no idea what other people charge. Is this guy giving me a good deal or are lessons usually cheaper?

salukulady
11-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm actually planning on starting singing lessons soon as well. Theres only one guy near by who gives lessons and is a 30 minute drive away. I'm hoping its worth it.

I have one question though, he charges 80$ per lesson/hour. To me, that sounds pretty expensive, but I have no idea what other people charge. Is this guy giving me a good deal or are lessons usually cheaper?Sounds about right.....maybe a tad high. A buck a minute is usual. Some teacher might offer a break if you buy a block of lessons. Some teachers might offer a 1/2 hour, but you really need an hour for warm up and to progress anywhere.

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
So true! I wish there was such a thing in Helsinki as community choir. Alas, there are either so bad that they don't care how they sound, or professional. And the pro groups are always split as male and female. It's like SATB wasn't invented here yet.

That was a great great suggestion there! It's how I got started in high school. And choirs are cool. No one tells you this, but stuff can get very intricate and cool-sounding.

uku-ali
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Try different teachers until one gives you ideas that make you sound better. Going for someone who has studied voice or vocal pedagogy is a good idea. You could start with local colleges, etc. If you're ever in Oregon, I'll help you out, for sure!

deach
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Try different teachers until one gives you ideas that make you sound better. Going for someone who has studied voice or vocal pedagogy is a good idea. You could start with local colleges, etc. If you're ever in Oregon, I'll help you out, for sure!

Oh trust me. I've tried every possible thing. Finding a voice instructor here is nearly impossible. and I'd love to take lessons from you. You have an incredible voice.

HumbleSounds
01-24-2009, 12:47 AM
So I thought I might throw out an exercise that I use for getting in tune. For example say the chord progression is C F G. I will play the notes by themselves and then try and harmonize with them. Then the chords then the progression, then the melody.

I know the harmony when I hear/feel it. I add the feel it here to to highlight how the harmony feels in your body. This is what ties in the muscle memory. If I'm not "feeling it" its easier for me to slip out of tune, because the instrument(voice) forgets what shape it needs to be in.

Remember to relax your jaw, breath from the diaphragm, Good posture helps, and practice practice practice. Try harmonizing with the hum of your fridge(if its a beater like mine), The microwave, the heater, the ambulance, the kettle, etc..

Get to know that feeling when the sound waves sync up, and you are in harmony. The more you feel it the more you know it, and are able to reproduce it.

Thanks for letting me share, it helps me to remember.

"Who feels it knows it lord" -Bob Marley

ukulelemotion
01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
brotha deach.. if you need some extra breathing excersizes lemme know. i should actually start practicing again. haha. i picked up some different ones while i was in school choir, chamber choir, church choir, and my old singing group. im not great but i do know enough to get by i guess. haha.

i've given a couple lessons on uke playin on stickam.com and i could do the same for breathing excersizes or if you want to learn something else.. jus let me know.

Yopparai
01-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Deach, I don't know if my sorrow at your difficulties in finding a vocal instructor is altruistic - a man nobly trying to better himself, yet beset by obstacles at every turn - or selfish - cause your prose in describing the first two lessons as simply enthralling and I want more.

In the short time that I have been watching your videos, your singing has improved.

benmealer
01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
i've been tossing around the idea of getting singing lessons. maybe your posts inspired me. maybe they scared me. great writing, though. wish i could do that.

Myala509
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
This is one of the best threads ever!

Bruddah Kekoa
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I NEED them!!!!! How do I know an instructor is any good. What do I ask? What do I look for? Please help or suffer from my bad singing.

...um, Deach...just sing from the heart like you already do and it's all good! :shaka:

veep
05-06-2009, 05:03 AM
keep at it !!

Kateri
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
It was pleasant and sunny September day. The light breeze made it seem like the high cirrocumulus clouds were slowly walking by. Due to being raised in a military family, I arrived at the studio 10 minutes early. I parked and turned the car off but left the keys in the ignition. As Jason Mraz played in the background, I wiped the perspiration that had formed on my shaved head from anticipation. I soaked through two or three of those white napkins from the McDonald's bag and decided it was time to do this. I grabbed my keys and exited my car. Keeping my head down I nervously shuffled towards the door. I tried to keep my mind off the task at hand and paid more attention to the roots from the large oak tree that were starting to crumble the asphalt driveway. As I approached the door, a sudden fear struck me and I abruptly turned around and began the walk of shame towards my car. As I walked back I thought of Theordore Roosevelt's quote and decided to turn back and fight my fears. I walked towards the door again. This time with determination and attitude. As I approached the door, I could hear a student running through the scales in an operetic voice. I thought, there is no way I could even attempt to duplicate that. As I began to retreat to my safe place, the large wooden and stained glass door opened. The instructor stood there and in a calm and confident voice and said "you must be deach." As the sweat soaked through my shirt, I could barely form the words to answer her. The instructor, a twenty-something, waif-like pixe with golden hair and sparkling teeth, giggled. She assured me it wouldn't be as bad as I thought and I had nothing to worry about. Her inviting smile and playful demeanor made it difficult to resist her invitation. I decided to accept.

The English major in me read this as a short story and now I want to edit it. lol

deach
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
The English major in me read this as a short story and now I want to edit it. lol

Please do.

Kateri
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Please do.

Are you going to show us a progress video? :D

deach
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Are you going to show us a progress video? :D

I haven't taken a lesson since my last write-up. I wish I could find a more convenient instructor to give me lessons.

salukulady
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I haven't taken a lesson since my last write-up. I wish I could find a more convenient instructor to give me lessons.Drop your jaw, relax your throat, breathe deep and sing. That's all there is to beginning.

salukulady
05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Drop your jaw, relax your throat, breathe deep and sing. That's all there is to beginning.
Just reread my post....sounds a little dirty........

deach
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Just reread my post....sounds a little dirty........

will you be my teacher? i can be in california in a few short hours....

wee_ginga_yin
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Leonard Cohen found out as he got older his voice became lower and lower, and rather than learning new chords for his old songs he had his guitar modified and detuned so he could sing in a lower key that suited his older more mature voice.

High tenor voices seem to be the rage at the moment, but for me Cohen or Waits or LaMontagne with that throatiness that comes from gargling with gravel, is more expressive and has more emotional drive.

If you listen to old blues singers like Rev Gary Davis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvUjexgvak) then there is a cutting edge delivery that is backed up by lungs of leather.

There is the naive school of painting that is very colourful and simplistic, and the artists have no formal training yet they produce the most amazing works of art... take Vladimir Fomin (http://home.onego.ru/~wwwfomin/eng/pict/pictures/kalevala/kalev016.html) for example.

In popular music you have an equivalent style where people like Jonathan Richmond and the modern lovers keep both lyrics and music very simple. and I have always put Deach in the class of "primatives" He has his own very distinctive style and if he sang any different the the Ukulele world would be all the poorer for it.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

Maya Angelou

deach
05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my "singing". Thank you so much!

Leonard Cohen found out as he got older his voice became lower and lower, and rather than learning new chords for his old songs he had his guitar modified and detuned so he could sing in a lower key that suited his older more mature voice.

High tenor voices seem to be the rage at the moment, but for me Cohen or Waits or LaMontagne with that throatiness that comes from gargling with gravel, is more expressive and has more emotional drive.

If you listen to old blues singers like Rev Gary Davis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvUjexgvak) then there is a cutting edge delivery that is backed up by lungs of leather.

There is the naive school of painting that is very colourful and simplistic, and the artists have no formal training yet they produce the most amazing works of art... take Vladimir Fomin (http://home.onego.ru/~wwwfomin/eng/pict/pictures/kalevala/kalev016.html) for example.

In popular music you have an equivalent style where people like Jonathan Richmond and the modern lovers keep both lyrics and music very simple. and I have always put Deach in the class of "primatives" He has his own very distinctive style and if he sang any different the the Ukulele world would be all the poorer for it.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

Maya Angelou

Yopparai
05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I knew quite a few voice majors in college that went in as pretty good natural singers, and came out mediocre vocalist. Take what you need, but don't loose the essential deachyness.

Kateri
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Please do.

It was a pleasant sunny day in September. The light breeze gave the illusion that the cirrocumulus clouds were just walking slowly across the sky. I had arrived at the studio 10 minutes early, a habit gained from my upbringing in a military family. I sat in my parked car listening to the faint and familiar sound of Jason Mraz on the radio.

I reached into the McDonalds bag and wiped the perspiration from atop my self-inflicted bald head. The sweat soaked quickly through all three napkins. Heat was not the cause of my perspiration. It was fear. Each drop of sweat was like a physical manifestation of my fears, anxieties and aspirations.

I pulled the keys from the ignition and stepped out onto the asphalt. With my head bowed low, I walked timidly toward the door, like a child returning home from school with a bad report card, anticipating the punishment he was about to endure. I kept myself focused on a nearby Oak tree, observing how its roots were breaking up the asphalt. Before I knew it I was face to face with the door, and a sudden pang of fear slapped me across the face like an angry girlfriend. I retreated back to my car with my tail between my legs.

During my walk of shame I recalled the words of Theodore Roosevelt and, for a fleeting moment, felt inspired. I turned back to fight my fears. This time I walked confidently and meaningfully toward the door, but as I got closer I heard the sweet operatic coloratura of a student. I decided Roosevelt wasn’t convincing enough and began my retreat again, when suddenly the stained glass door swung open.

“You must be Deach,” said the woman who was to be my instructor. She was a waifish, 20-something with golden hair and sparkling teeth. I couldn’t help but think her to be somewhat pixie-like. She giggled at me, and fear crashed over me like a wave, soaking my shirt with even more perspiration. I had nothing to respond to her with. With an inviting smile and playful demeanor, she assured me that it wouldn’t be as bad as I thought and that I had nothing to worry about.

Her spell had been cast. With fantasies of being a part of a mystical faerie choir, I could not resist her invitation into the world of song.

salukulady
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
will you be my teacher? i can be in california in a few short hours....For that kind of lesson, I'd hafta charge a bit more.......

haole
06-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Any updates on your singing saga, Deach? I'm in pretty much the same boat, and hoping to find a good local teacher. Fully expect to have the same humbling first experience too.

deach
06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Any updates on your singing saga, Deach? I'm in pretty much the same boat, and hoping to find a good local teacher. Fully expect to have the same humbling first experience too.

No updates. I had the two lessons and that was it. I did take a cello lesson last week. That was a lot of fun!

veep
06-15-2009, 05:01 AM
No updates. I had the two lessons and that was it. I did take a cello lesson last week. That was a lot of fun!

just two ! ?

i love stitch
08-02-2009, 04:34 PM

i just found this thread...did you ever get lessons?
im too embarrassed to even get lessons, im terrbile and dont want to sing in front if anyone!:eek:

ukulele2544
08-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I need them too...