newby needs advice

mal-c

Reaction score
Hi folks I am 69 years young newby that wants to buy a tenor uke,my price range is anything decent up to £90.00,what do you sugest.Mal(Hull)

Welcome! I too am 69 (will be 70 on 9/1). You will be at the mercy of "availability" over there, but for 90 quid, you should be able to get a decent starter uke. I am sure specific recommendations for your market will be forthcoming. Best of luck.

If i was you I would have a look at a lot of reviews. Unfortunately here in uk we do not have the choice not like in u.s . if you have a good look around you will find 1.I was tempted to get this 1
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Riptide-by-Boulder-Creek-Mahogany-Tenor-Ukulele/EHZ looks very smart. But i ended up getting this 1http://www.forsyths.co.uk/instruments/folk-instruments/ukuleles/lani/
the
Lani LS-70MGCE model. I am very happy with it.
All the best its good fun when you get going.

Review for the riptide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzuR43qZq0&feature=related

Last edited:
a kala solid mahogany will set you back about £129 with stringsdirect, i have the soprano size and it is a beautiful little uke, i have uploaded pics of mine( see my review) in the reviews section, yours will be exactly the same only bigger, you get a lot of uke for your money Mal

+1 on the Makai Tenor. Just got the basic laminate model strung with Aquilas. It's my first uke (first since the cheap one with the wooden pegs that I had as a kid 50 years ago) so I have nothing to compare it with except the basic Kala I've played in stores. Seems to have good tone, warmth, good sustain. doesn't seem to be too quiet or flat in any way. I've checked the fretboard with the chromatic tuner all the way down to the body and the notes seem to be pretty well true.

I've been happy with my Kala KA-T tenor that I bought in February, although it costs a bit more than the Makala and the Makai. If you are new to stringed instruments, definitely consider buying from a seller who will "set up" your ukulele for you.

Nobody has raised the question, do you have a shop at all near you? The VERY best way to buy is by playing. As all mentioned are pretty similar it would be preference..

Hi Mal,

If you haven't already purchased I can deffo recommend Forsyth's in Manchester! They've got a great range of nice Lani Ukes up to your budget too.

Worth a phone call and train journey maybe to get a feel of what they've got there.

Cheers,
Steve.

Have you tried any Lanis Steve I have one. It is my first one so nothing to compare it with. I am happy with it .

I bought a Lanikai tenor s-t on Amazon for $169 w/free shipping. Don't know if they are available via Amazon UK. My wife is a beginner and really likes it with it's solid spruce top.

Have you tried any Lanis Steve I have one. It is my first one so nothing to compare it with. I am happy with it .

Hi Phil,

I don't own a Lani myself but I've had the pleasure of some time handling and strumming their selection.

Great quality Ukes and lovely sound from the Lanis!

A great choice you've made :cheers:

Steve.

Hi Phil,

I don't own a Lani myself but I've had the pleasure of some time handling and strumming their selection.

Great quality Ukes and lovely sound from the Lanis!

A great choice you've made :cheers:

Steve.

When I went to the shop to look at it I went home to do a bit of research. i thought the make was Lanikai so looked them up went back to buy it and realised it was a Lani. It seems the shop I bought mine from and Forsythes are the only shops that sell them. I take it they are cheap imports from china and a company in Yorkshire stick there label on them.

Hi Mal, welcome to UU! I think I've spotted you on the Acoustic Life forum too?

Thinking of music shops in your area, if you can get to York, I'd suggest checking out Red Cow music shop: http://www.redcowmusic.co.uk/ There isn't much info on their website other than contact details, but I was there last month, and found the people there very friendly, helpful and enthusiastic about ukes, so they could probably guide you to the right uke for you.

Hi Mal,

If you haven't already purchased I can deffo recommend Forsyth's in Manchester! They've got a great range of nice Lani Ukes up to your budget too.

Worth a phone call and train journey maybe to get a feel of what they've got there.

Steve.

I bought my Uke from Dawsons on Portland Street in Manchester near Chorlton Street Bus station.

Top Bottom