PDA

View Full Version : Trying to outsing a banjolele isn't easy

garywj
08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
An original song using a Goldtone banjolele, Zoom Q3HD video, Olympus LS-10 audio, another Hawaiian shirt, same old straw hat and closing comments from Melva. Discovered: anything under a tenor size uke makes for cramped fingers and even a rolled up napkin under the bridge (can be seen on the last fame) doesn't tame down the banjolele much. It's a work in progress. I've posted this also on Video Discussion with more info my my setup.
http://youtu.be/U9cuMy90OkU

TCK
08-13-2011, 07:32 AM
It sounded really good, especially for a resonator. I tame my May Bells down for recording with a sock between the dowel and the bridge (actually, I have found about 2" from the bridge and toward the neck is best) to make it so it is not quite so bright with a microphone. It would be harder to do on yours, but if you take the resonator off and play with it, find a spot you like and re-assemble, it may be a bit easier to record.

Tully Hill
08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
You didn't mention mic location or whether you were using audio from both the audio recorder and the video recorder, and mixing them, or audio from just one device. Might try moving the mic farther from the banjolele and closer to your voice. If using only one device for audio, might try using a "Y" connector and two mics and adjust placement for the best overall sound.

garywj
08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
The Zoom does not have a mic input, it has a line in, which a mic will not drive. So, I use the Olympus audio recorder about 3 ft away from me, hooked from earphone out to line in on camera, which drives it fine. However the mics on the Olympus are still together. The Olympus audio recorder does have a mic input, so I am thinking about trying a lapel mic and experimenting with placement. It would not be stereo, but that doesn't matter. When I get Final Cut software working, I will be able to do more. I can then use the audio from multiple sources, selecting and adjusting within the software. I'm working on another song now that will be suited for the banjolele, so I'll be experimenting with it more.

Thanks for the input. I need all the help I can get.