PDA

View Full Version : Ohana Tiple Demo

Pippin
08-13-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4CNI5NUoGU

syrynx
08-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks very much for the review, and thanks even more for beginning the review with music instead of talking! I watched/listened to the end, thanks to the way you structured the clip. I can't count the number of reviews I've never heard because I had to skip ahead to hear the music.

That tiple sounds richer than pound cake with fudge and ice cream on it.

tozan
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Great review!

Pippin
08-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I have been listening to people's reactions to various video reviews. This format seems to be something people appreciate. I'll keep doing them this way and work on refining things as I go, based on viewer feedback like yours.

Lori
08-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Nice video! Nice job all around. How difficult is it to hold down 10 metal strings? I found 8 string ukes to be a challenge, so I am wondering how the tension is with all those metal strings. Is the neck any wider than a regular Ohana tenor? Thanks for the great video review.

–Lori

Pippin
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice video! Nice job all around. How difficult is it to hold down 10 metal strings? I found 8 string ukes to be a challenge, so I am wondering how the tension is with all those metal strings. Is the neck any wider than a regular Ohana tenor? Thanks for the great video review.

–Lori

Lori, the neck is a little wider to allow for the three-string center courses. Actually, the "D" tuning is easier to play with its higher string tension than the lower GCEA standard tuning. I thought that would be the reverse. I tried both to make a comparison. I did not do a comparison video of the two tunings. I might do that.

zac987
08-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I would love to see a comparison video of the different tunings! I'm definitely getting one of these.

Doc_J
08-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks Mickey!
Great video. That Tiple really complements your voice.
Very nice.

uke4ia
08-14-2011, 04:22 AM

My experience is that the difference with the metal strings is just that your fingertips may be a little sore the first few times you finish playing. The bigger difference is that you may have to place your fingers in a slightly different way than you're used to, to get all of the strings held down. For example, in an F chord I have to angle my index finger differently to get all 3 strings held down.

I find most barre chords difficult to play on the tiple, despite having a low action on mine. I've been trying alternate ways using more fingers to make the same chord. But I use GCEA tuning on the tiple. I may try the ADF#B and see if the added tension makes chording easier for me the way it does for Pippin.

Pippin
08-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Bumping this up for the threads on UkeTalk. I'll post a video with comparison tuning tomorrow. I had an unexpected call to the office today, so I did not get it done today.