A new Moore Bettah in the house

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Well, it is new to me anyway.

First of all I have to thank Ralf (aka TheOnlyUkeThatMatters), for posting a thread in the Marketplace a while back about a MB that was for sale on craigslist in Porland, OR. The seller would not ship so I asked Ralf if he would act as a liasson between the seller and I. He graciously agreed.

The seller had no pictures of the ukulele for me and didn't have any way to take any. Yikes! He told me he bought it new in 2007 from Hilo guitars on a whim with the idea that he would take up the ukulele. He said that it still had the original strings on it, as if that were some kind of a great selling point. Original equipment! He simply was taken by the beauty of this particular ukulele. Not a bad starter uke, eh? Anyway this MB had sat unplayed in his closet for the past couple of years. Ralf was not going to be able to meet up with the seller for another six days to inspect the MB for me and I knew that it would not last that long so I, gulp, bought it sight unseen from a seller that I didn't know, who lived 3000 miles away, and I was going to rely on another person that I didn't know to inspect it for me. Needles to say, I didn't sleep very well that night, nor the next 5.

I contacted Chuck who emailed me three photos that he had archived of #714. Wow! The seller didn't even tell me that it was a cutaway! Chuck agreed to take the uke back and give it a full tune up/updating which included a new bone saddle, string change(Savarez with a polished Low G) MiSi pickup and a good polishing. Many Mahalos, Chuck, for your great work and service.

When I finally got it, three weeks after I paid for it, it looked brand new. It was obvious that this uke had barely been played. It has opened up in the time that I have had it as I have been playing it exclusively.

Now for the specs. It has beautiful dark curly Koa with a sapwood skunk stripe down the center, and Cocobolo accents. Abalone, BWB purfling and rosette with a solid Koa neck and Gotoh closed geared tuners. Hopefully I can get these pics loaded onto this thread so you all can see it!Moore Bettah Cutawy 001.jpgMoore Bettah Cutawy 006.jpgMoore Bettah Cutawy 009.jpgMoore Bettah Cutawy 011.jpg

Attachments

• Moore Bettah Cutawy 010.jpg
    Moore Bettah Cutawy 010.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Well it didn't work out like I wanted, but here are some more pics.

Attachments

• Moore Bettah Cutawy 014.jpg
    Moore Bettah Cutawy 014.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 63
  • Moore Bettah Cutawy 015.jpg
    Moore Bettah Cutawy 015.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Moore Bettah Cutawy 013.jpg
    Moore Bettah Cutawy 013.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 59
Yep, she's a tenor. No plans to unload anything at the moment, but I will keep you in mind, Lexy

I remember this uke thread and remember the ridiculous price it was offered for. The only issue was how do we pick it up and I'm so glad you were willing to take the risk as well as Ralf's kindness!!

Talk about a steal!!!

Great MB story....

I would not have slept easy either but you took the chance and grabbed a great uke gratz!

Chris

beautiful uke! enjoy it!

Shitty death that is the nicest uke I have ever seen! Congratulations

I remember this uke thread and remember the ridiculous price it was offered for. The only issue was how do we pick it up and I'm so glad you were willing to take the risk as well as Ralf's kindness!!

Talk about a steal!!!

Congrats to dkcrown on his new friend,....enjoy!

I finally found the original thread, as you got me curious as to what "the ridiculous price if was offered for" , and "Talk about a steal!!!" meant?

..... assuming it was pretty low,.....otherwise it might still be around! :D

Here's the link to the original post: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?48831-Chuck-Moore-tenor-in-Portland-OR

.....unfortunately, the craigslist info has been deleated. :(

Maybe i could get an PM "informational" surprise??? :smileybounce:

Last edited:
If envy is one of the 7 deadly sins, I'm screwed! Anyway, only thing better than a gorgeous MB is to get it for a "steal." Contrats.

Damn! That is one beautiful instrument :D. Thanks for sharing some pics! I wish you many happy years of playing your new uke.

If envy is one of the 7 deadly sins, I'm screwed! Anyway, only thing better than a gorgeous MB is to get it for a "steal." Contrats.

Hehe,....got me thinking again (always dangerous :D ),.......but i think most ANY Moore Bettah uke purchased is a "steal" , as currently priced! Cheap as far as ukuleles go,....no,.....but for what's there,....."priceless".

:smileybounce:

that is a seriously good looking piece of work. Tell me it sounds as good as it looks.......

So nice to see the MB your place, DK!

Pictures do not do this ukulele justice, everyone. Look at the photos... imagine how much more beautiful that ukulele could possibly be... now you're almost there.

And yes, Sir, she sounds as good she looks.

Thanks again for letting me babysit her for a weekend, DK!

So nice to see the MB your place, DK!

Pictures do not do this ukulele justice, everyone. Look at the photos... imagine how much more beautiful that ukulele could possibly be... now you're almost there.

And yes, Sir, she sounds as good she looks.

Thanks again for letting me babysit her for a weekend, DK!

No Ralf, Thank YOU again! Without your post or your willingness to check this uke out, it would never have happened. While I did go out on a ledge to buy it, It certainly took teamwork to make it happen. And again, Chuck was a major part of the team, agreeing to take it back and give it a thorough going over. It gave me some peace of mind. Thanks for shipping it to him. Knowing that it had sat in Martin's closet for years was a scary thought in and of itself. Usualy only bad things can happen when things are neglected. Fortunately Portland has a pretty stable climate so the uke wasn't subjected to huge swings in humidity changes.

I hope you're enjoying the box.

D

congrats, looks amazing

Wow Dana. What a gorgeous pair of ukes. Rapt for you and major ups to Ralf and his generosity of spirit. You really have some beautiful ukes in your collection mate. Just awesome. :)

Top Bottom