Why is it that when the camcorder starts, the song tanks?

chindog

Reaction score
I've never done a recording of myself before, because I have been afraid of what would happen. Well, it did! Today I turned on my video camera, and totally butchered every song I tried to record. I even practiced several songs before hand, and did fine. But, when I turned on the camera, I came out with nothing at all worth uploading. But, I'm going to keep trying!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has this problem!

Happens to me all the time. In fact, I have a gig coming up and I just learned that they are filming it. I told them not to tell me next time as I'm sure I'm going to screw it all up. For some reason, I can play in front of 600 people, but I can't play in front of a camera all alone.

Dan

What I'm not sure of is whether I make that many mistakes normally, but let them go when the camera is off, or if I really just can't play in front of a camera? How would one go about discerning the difference?

hahah.. Never thought to mention that, because I thought it was just me. lol.. It's not stage frieght, I mean I used to gig many years ago playing bass, and guitar. But I dont know, it is just everytime I or someone hits record on the camcorder, I suck. Maybe it is stress knowing this is a permanant record so ya try too hard to be perfect. In gigging, and live, it's easy to use musical skill and cleverness to mask, and cover up imperfections (yeah, that is real, and pro musicians do it all the time..;)). But, yep, it happens, and my daughter whom is also a musician complains about the same thing. At least I know now it's not just a DNA thing for us, hahhah

Yeah, it definitely gets easier..... my first couple of videos were incredibly awkward, but I've forced myself to do at least one a week for awhile now.... getting to where I don't even think about the camera and it's a great relief. Just keep at it - it gets easier quickly.....

BTW - nice job on 'Love Potion No. 9' waterguy......

I agree with skidoo that it does get easier, but yeah, it's very hit and miss with me too. Sometimes it's surprisingly fast and only takes one or two go's. Aaaah, and then there are the other times..... :eek:

That happens to me every time I try. It's funny, when I play in front of others I usually keep the mistakes to a minimum, but for some reason recording devices intimidate the heck out of me!
Me too. I've found the only thing that works for me is just start the video recorder and then start playing. I don't necessarily stop for mistakes, and I'll just play over and over and eventually I more or less forget the camera is there and get as good a take as I'm going to. I have had the battery in the Flip camera run down before I got a good take, though... :(

John

I believe cameras secretly excrete invisible slimy virtual goo that makes fingers freeze and slip at the same time...

LOL. There's something about seeing that red "recording" light that empties our brains...

I uploaded my first YouTube video yesterday (a ukulele review ) Nalu Hokua Tenor Ukulele and screwed up the simple intro to "White Sandy Beach".

Oh, well, it was a uke review and not an example of my playing skills, which I didn't forget to preface with a disclaimer.....

Not saying my final output is anything great, but someday i will post one of my rough videos...
Botch ups everywhere, and gobs of profanity inserted for the actual lyrics. It is rare that one goes perfectly, but I have become a firm believer in doing it and improving, both at playing and at ignoring the red light

Try just doing sound samples only at first. That way you only have to concentrate on playing, not on looking into the camera. Plus, if you make a mistake on audio-only, it is much easier to cut out during editing.

Try just doing sound samples only at first. That way you only have to concentrate on playing, not on looking into the camera. Plus, if you make a mistake on audio-only, it is much easier to cut out during editing.

Editing? What's that Doc? Hmm...could be the missing link I've been searching for. :eek:

+1 to this. So far, none of my YouTube uploads show my playing. I've done quite a lot of recording, so a mic in front of me doesn't bother me too much. But just thinking about the little red light fills my toes with the shivers.

I have a friend who does split screen videos. I asked, "How long does one of those take?" She shrugged. "Dunno. Hour or two." Either she is a goddess, and perfect, or a liar. I am content to imagine the former.

I realize that you should also keep talking to a minimum as I sound like a third grader...Now I know why people have cards at the beginning or insert words in the video.

Before I made a video, I used to laugh at one I saw where the guy made a mistake and you hear a big aaawww in the background but he continued to play. I was thinking to myself why doesn't he do it over? Now I know the answer as I get so frustrated with myself that I post it within 2 takes as my nerves won't let me play or speak better. It's like the bloopers where you see take 32...I don't have the patience to keep on doing it over.

Me too. I've found the only thing that works for me is just start the video recorder and then start playing. I don't necessarily stop for mistakes, and I'll just play over and over and eventually I more or less forget the camera is there and get as good a take as I'm going to. I have had the battery in the Flip camera run down before I got a good take, though... :(

John

This! Just turn it on and start playing like a normal session. If you play a song, great! if not! great!

Well, clearly none of us are alone in this phenomenon! I really enjoy playing to a crowd, but a video camera makes me play like an idiot. Whereas a crowd WANTS to enjoy your performance, & contributes energy to it, the camera just sits there, staring in cold, permanent judgement... I'm guessing that (like with almost everything else) the secret is just putting in mileage. Things get better with doing- most things, anyway!

Remember the Brady Bunch episode where Jan would freeze up every time the television camera light came on? 8^)

Top Bottom