Headstock decal restoration

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Hey all,

Some of you might have seen that I got a 1928 Harmony Johnny Marvin "tenor" (concert scale) a week ago. It plays wonderfully and I think the wear on it looks really nice, but I do miss the headstock logo. Right now it looks like this:

P8100033.jpg P8100035.jpg

The headstock is really nice looking, but they used to have a really classy looking headstock logo:

marvindecal.jpg

What should I do? Should I just polish off the rest of the old decal and apply a new waterslide, or should I keep it as is?

If I do put the new waterslide on, I'll have to see if I can enlist some help in that respect. I don't have a printer that will take that kind of paper, and I have no idea how to scale that so its the right size.

Thoughts?

I remember a restoration Tudorp did on a Gibson guitar headstock decal. I think he said he had some sort of background in professional printing or something.....I could be mistaken. However, he is a world class tinkerer and might have some thoughts for you.....

Personally, I think if you could restore it to looking as original as possible, that would be really cool.

Top Bottom