Matsuda Ukulele

southcoastukes

Reaction score
Last edited:
Banjo, uke, or some frankenstein hybrid, that is one far out looking instrument there. Pretty cool.

That is an interesting instrument. Chuck- How does it sound? Im a relative newb, but I am curious about the sound because I know that the soundbox itself is where the resonance happens. It looks like that is almost solid and built more for looks. Does it play well?

I personally have not heard the instrument, I'm only giving my impression based on the sound clip. It's interesting exercise for sure but it does point to the importance of a sound box. Honestly, I'm surprised it sounded as good as it does. I'll have to read the full story when my FBJ comes in.

... It's interesting exercise for sure but it does point to the importance of a sound box. Honestly, I'm surprised it sounded as good as it does...

Agreed - it's no great shakes for sound. Better than I thought it would be as well. Interesting that in that setting, the nomex composite top worked better than the solid. Would guess that without sides, the stiffness might help.

It reminds me a lot, in both look and sound, of the Japanese koto.

Matsuda guitars one of the most sought after and among the best in the world. I think he's like the Chuck Moore of guitar builders, along with a couple others. He known for his unique designs, however, I've not seen any of his guitars go as far from conventional as this "ukulele/banjo" or whatever. However, it's the only build of his that I've not wanted to own. Too weird for me.

What I find cool is that he is using the idea of a double top. I have played a few double top guitars made with the same material and they EXPLODE with sound. I can only imagine what a uke would sound like with a top like that and a "regular" sound box.

Top Bottom