Fremont Flourocarbon Uke Strings

Howie1947

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these strings?? How do they compare with "Worth" strings for example.........Mahalo

Drop an email or PM to MGM. He probably could give you some first hand info about those babies. Another string set to try might be Savarez (?), like D'Addario, from guitar strings. Check out this thread.

I'm using Fremont Blacklines (medium tension) on my soprano now. I went from Aquilas to Worth Clear Mediums to Worth Clear Lights and then to the Blacklines, which are my favorite. They sound pretty much the same as the Worths to my ears (although my ears are rather inexperienced), but I just like the feel of them a little more.

I bought a set of Fremont "stiff" Flourocarbon strings but have not strung them up yet. Will post what my thoughts are when I do.

Oops. Posted this in another thread too.

Well I strung my Kamaka up with the "hard" Blackline Fremonts today. As I strung them next to the old Aquilas they felt softer on the fingers and they sounded brighter to my ears, which I was looking for. Not a huge jump but noticeable. I'm not a "picker" yet but the Fremont strings seem to play basic chords well without moving around like wet noodles. I really like the black color against the koa frets and body better and I noticed as I took the light colored Aquilas off how much grime was on them. Happy so far :)

I had come across 2 sets of Fremont strings, a clear set on a soprano and a black set on a tenor. In both cases, there were some intonation issues so I had to switch out the strings. Both sets were already on the ukes when I got them so maybe that had something to do with it, but my current impression of Fremont strings is not favorable. I might try a fresh pack of it sometime down the road, but they really aren't any cheaper than Worth strings, so maybe I will just stick with Worth too.

Old thread - ;)

I just threw a Fremont unwound low G on my Pono Tenor. I frigging love this thing. I bought a few of the low Gs to replace my wound Aqullia, but I'll be picking up a few full sets too.

It's a perfect compliment to the Aquilla set too - mello and much better than that hideous wound thing thumping along up there.

Of course, now I have three white strings and one black - but hey, it's the sound not the look.

I'm a fan so far.

I put a Fremont black low G on my Flea to go along with the Worth Browns that were on it. Sounds a LOT better than a wound string and they compliment each other nicely.

Where are you guys buying the fremont low g strings? I'd like to give one a try.
Currently I'm using worth clears with a d'addario classical guitar string for the low g. I didn't like the worth unwound low g and I might prefer having all unwound strings.

Where are you guys buying the fremont low g strings? I'd like to give one a try.
Currently I'm using worth clears with a d'addario classical guitar string for the low g. I didn't like the worth unwound low g and I might prefer having all unwound strings.

I got mine from MGM's Ebay store.

Old thread - ;)

I just threw a Fremont unwound low G on my Pono Tenor. I frigging love this thing. I bought a few of the low Gs to replace my wound Aqullia, but I'll be picking up a few full sets too.

Hey GrumpyCoyote, I was wondering how well the Fremont unwound low g string fits in the nut slot? Did you need to make any adjustments? I currently have koolau golds (wound g and c) on my pono tenor but I want to go all "nylon" low g. I'm thinking I'm going to do 3 hilo tynex strings with the Fremont low g. I find the gold's are a pain to tune. What do you guys think of this combo. I also ordered a set of the blackline freemonts too! MGM is the man!!!

Mahalo! :shaka:

Hey GrumpyCoyote, I was wondering how well the Fremont unwound low g string fits in the nut slot? Did you need to make any adjustments? I currently have koolau golds (wound g and c) on my pono tenor but I want to go all "nylon" low g. I'm thinking I'm going to do 3 hilo tynex strings with the Fremont low g. I find the gold's are a pain to tune. What do you guys think of this combo. I also ordered a set of the blackline freemonts too! MGM is the man!!!

Can't speak to the Pono nut slot (hopefully GrumpyCoyote can help you with that) but I did the exact same setup on one of my ukes, the three Hilo tynex with the Fremont low g. I really liked it...they sounded pretty good together, and it was a non-wound low g option...

i don't like the relatively low tension of the fremont. but i needed to file open my g-slot to accomodate the string.

I picked mine up in Femont, at Dusty Strings... MGM sells them on line I think.

Nothing needed - both the Aquilla high G and that low G wound monster fit in there with no adjustment. The Fremont was right at home. No filing needed.

One note for those of you using nylon or fluorocarbon low g for the first time - the tension is low compared to wound strings. Not enough to make it "floppy" in the case of the Fremont, but I do feel a difference in my string bends and tremolo. I'm used to it now, but it was a slight adjustment.

As for thre Hilo's - I'm not a fan personaly. Too fat and "woody" sounding for me. There are those who love them, but I would give the full set of Fremonts a try.

Ok thanks for all the help guys! I'm glad that it seems I won't need to do anything to my uke to accomodate the non wound low g string. Now I'm torn as to which set of strings to try with it... lol. Anybody have any other advice about the sound of Hilos versus Freemonts? My pono tenor is a spruce top btw.

Thanks so much!!!

Any suggestions guys? Sorry I know the thread's dying but I'm having trouble deciding which one to put on my pono!

Any suggestions guys? Sorry I know the thread's dying but I'm having trouble deciding which one to put on my pono!

I don't like the feel or sound of the Hilos much personally - so in my opinion, it's hard to go wrong trying the fremonts.

Strings are pretty cheap, as far as sound experiments go in musical equipment. You shouldn't be afraid to try whatever catches your interest. 8 bux and a few minutes to change 'em is a pretty small investment with no risk.

Strings are mostly about personal taste... and that needs to be developed by trying lots of strings. Have fun, try all sorts of combos until you find one that fits your style and ear.

I don't like the feel or sound of the Hilos much personally - so in my opinion, it's hard to go wrong trying the fremonts.

Strings are pretty cheap, as far as sound experiments go in musical equipment. You shouldn't be afraid to try whatever catches your interest. 8 bux and a few minutes to change 'em is a pretty small investment with no risk.

Strings are mostly about personal taste... and that needs to be developed by trying lots of strings. Have fun, try all sorts of combos until you find one that fits your style and ear.
Ok I guess I can't go wrong with trying the freemonts, thanks a ton for your advice GrumpyCoyote!

Mahalo!!!!

Top Bottom