Pahala

joebtate

Reaction score
This is a new song I wrote about a small town in Hawaii.:shaka:

Last edited:
Aloha joebtate!
Great song and even better playing! One day I would get me one of those 8-stringed ukuleles. Mahalo for sharing!

Mason671

Thanks Mason. Yeah, I wanted one too. Then one day I'm in a ukulele store on Big Island messing around with one. I guess my wife liked the way it sounded. She asked me "You want that?" When I said yes, she plunked the credit card down. BTW, Dennis Kamakahi signed this one.

Thank you. If you are ever in the Sausalito area, look me up. I play at the No Name Bar every Saturday.

Nice tune and a great performance.... also checked out your other videos.... dig the 'Roosevelt Blues' and there's some really nice guitar playing on 'Poison Ivy'.... looks like you guys have some fun....

So you shot 5 videos of overdubbed playing and singing along with additional voice tracks. Then editing the videos together along with the entire sound track. Then segue to the concert. Whew! That's a lot of work. I'm impressed

Thanks, Joe, but the computer does all the work. The only hard part is not screwing up when the camera is on, the software I use is all pretty 'point-and-shoot' and 'drag-and-drop'. I'll do two or three takes at the most for each track and run with it..... only takes a couple of hours, about the same amount of time I'd waste watching a bad movie, and it's good practice.....

So, could you tell what software and hardware you are using? Just wondering.

I'm a Mac guy.... do it all on my MacBook laptop. Mac's come preloaded with the iLife suite of software - a full multimedia package. I record and mix the audio with 'Garage Band' and do the video editing with 'iMovie'. I used to use the built in webcam for the video but recently got a little HD camera that really improves the picture quality. I describe the whole process in this thread. If you have any questions, lemme know.... not like I'm an expert, but I've been recording like a mad ba$tard lately and I've got my way of doing it down to a science.....

I have a macbook pro and I use iMovie and sometimes Garage Band, but only for recording noise as part of my job testing microphones. I record music using Pro Tools because I feared the Garage Band app wasn't good enough. This is probably wrong though. I wonder if I can link up the Pro Tools with iMovie.

I don't think you would have a problem. I usually export the tune to iTunes to hear a finished product after it's mixed, but you can import the audio into iMovie from any source on the computer, just as long as it's the right format - which anything you mix down with Pro Tools on a Mac would be.

Pro Tools is a great application and has a lot more bells and whistles than GB, but GB does a good enough job for what I'm doing.... If I ever get more serious about trying to record something well, I'm going to look into upgrading my software.....

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I spent a lot of money on Pro Tools when GB would have done the job just as well.

I guess the sound got a little degraded on this one because I played it back from Pro Tools and let the video camera pick it up while I played the ukulele. I probably have to start over to get the best sound.

I remember Pahala

I went to the Hawaiian Lifestyles Workshop and your song is a perfect description. Mahalo

Thank you so much. I will be there in Novemeber and hope to see you.

Jeeeeez Louise.. Joe! That's a beautiful tune! VERY WELL done... I LOVE it! Everyone on UU needs to hear this! Hats off to you, man... just fantastic! Wanna hear more from you!

Thank you so much! That was my first attempt at creating a hapa haole song. I'm going back to Pahala in November, hopfully to develop more ideas.

Going to Maui myself in December.... 5th time now. My wife dragged me there first time in 2007. I'm a homebody so I resisted. Now she can't keep me from the Islands. I love the place... everything about it. Bought my first uke (on a lark) on my first trip there. Never knew purchasing that first uke would turn out to be such a life changing event. Havepurchased another one each time back. Going for another this time around. Thinking a Kanilea, Koaloha, Koolau or maybe a Kamaka. Ready for a nice one! Anywhooo.. LOVE this song. Have come back to this thread three times this morning for another listen. Just called my wife in this time around... she too loved it. You make me want to play my uke... and inspire me to improve. Would be more than happy to pay dearly for a nice mp3 of Pahala. Thanks. Tim ukedude@att.net

Last edited:
I'm thinking, it's a drag packing an ukulele for the trip over. Why not just pick one up when I get there?

Top Bottom