WTB - Favilla Teardrop - Poverty Issues

Tsani

Reaction score
OK, somebody out there is sitting (not literally, please) on an old Favilla Teardrop. This is my "dream uke".

It does not have to be perfect or pretty. It can be scratched and dented, but functional. Cracks are OK if they are not toooo long, but separating soundboards or messed up necks would make me sad. I can glue on a bridge if I have to, or replace a tuner.

It may be sitting in your closet gathering dust while you play your shiny new Mainland or Martin or KoAloha or whatever. It is lonely and it needs someone to love it. That person is me.

I can probably pay around $150. Yes, I know, that is not enough, but its what I've got to spend. Poverty stinks.

If you own this elusive instrument, and you want someone to have it that will play it and really love it - contact me.

I might be persuaded to trade my Marca Aquila soprano for a Teardrop. The Marca Aquila is a fine instrument and very old. Made in about 1910. Nice voice on it, soft and sweet. It would hurt me to part with it - but for a Teardrop, I might.

So, however unlikely, I cast my wish here to the wind. Can you help me?

I saw one on ebay in good condition recently that sold. I would have bid on it but have had my interests in other ukes right now. They are very well made from what I can tell with my Favilla Baritone uke.

I played a Mahogany one a few years ago- nice voice & easy player. They also made a Birch model that was usually painted. I have no experience with the Birch, but it was (obviously) not top-of-the-line.

Buffalo Brothers in San Diego had one a few weeks ago. It sounded lovely and for sale at $199 I think. Give em a call.

Better call Buffalo Brothers, I saw one just like it go on ebay recently for $338 and not sure what the shipping was. That's a great price at $199. Hell I may call them if you don't..lol i think I will go look at it though.

Hey Tasni, I just email them to see if they still have it for you if your interested in it. If still available I'll let you know and give you first dibbs on it and if you don't want it I'll take it.

Hey tasni, I tried to pm you but your mailbox is full. I got an email from Buffalo brothers this morning and pics of the teardrop and it's still available at $199 and maybe you could talk them down some. It's blue in color. If you google them and send a message they will send a message back with pics. Just trying to help out a fellow uke player.
Good luck.

Good Luck Tsani! As you know I LOVE my teardrop, I hope one comes your way soon!

Good luck. It looks like someone painted it blue a long time ago as it's flaking away in a lot of places. If that's the case I'll bet you strip that blue off without to much trouble and make it look nice or not. The old blue on there is kinda cool looking.

No, that blue is original. They came in that color and several others. I have seen some black ones and green ones, but I like blue best. (Teardrop - blue - it's a natural.) I don't know why the headstock is flaking more than the rest - but it's not going to matter to me. I will keep the paint. The wood underneath is birch. If I am able to buy (negotiations in progress) I may try to do some touch up on the headstock. I am a little concerned about the crack coming from the soundhole to the neck - but I figure it can be cleated.

Great to hear it's still available. Yes, it looked "well-played", but I thought it was one of the nicer sounding vintage ukes they had and it reminded me of my old Favilla soprano. The price is right and the condition seems right for the age of the instrument. The crack didn't seem to affect the sound, but I didn't peruse it too much. I just remember thinking it was a really good deal and wished I could truly justify it for myself. Best of luck with the negotiating.

One thing...did you find out if the tuners were original? I played quite a few in the the short time I was there and I remember a vintage uke not having original tuners and needing upgrading...Not sure if it was the Favilla.

Last edited:
I think you might be right about the tuners. Those look too clean and shiny to match the age of the instrument. There is also a circular wear mark that looks like it was made by the original tuners that is larger than the diameter of the current tuners. I think the original tuners had a kind of groove around the base, and they were not so smooth and rounded as these. Besides, that metal is way too bright. Yeah, I think those are replacements. Here is the question, were they tight? Did they hold the string tension?

Unfortunately, I didn't mess with em too much. On the other hand, I didn't need to mess with em, so that could be a good thing. Tuners are easy to replace if you aren't concerned with them being authentic.

I wish I paid more attention, but my lasting impression was that it was a fine uke.

Those are clearly new tuners, but I think they look pretty good. The original tuners on both of my Favilla's are brass shaft, not chrome. The originals on mine work fine after a cleaning and tune up. The holes may have had to have been reamed out a bit to fit those modern tuners, but I don't see that as a problem.

I hope you get this Tsani!

Top Bottom