Where's the bar? Let's celebrate!!!

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
No, I'm not referring to your favorite watering hole. Well, not yet anyway. I am referring to how far the bar has been raised for the ukulele as a whole.
I got to thinking this morning about how far the ukulele has come in the past few years and it made me realize that we are witnessing something rather incredible.
I can't think of another instrument, at least in our lifetimes that has gained popularity and quality as fast as our beloved uke. Whether it turns out to be a passing fad or the uke is here to stay, the quality of the the ukes being made and the variety of types of music being played on them has grown so fast that it really is cause for celebration. Even just a few short years ago, being a ukulele builder in the world of luthiery, was considered a second class status. Now days we are seeing even the most well known guitar builders from around the world turning out these little masterpieces. As the summer's instrument festivals pass one by one, such as the GAL convention and the Healdsburg guitar festival, more tables than not contain a uke or two.

I know some have turned their noses to the sudden rush of popularity of the uke and that's ok. If it is a fad, after the dust settles, we that are left will have been a part of a revolution and will find ourselves with more extremely talented players, different varieties of music and ukuleles that rival the finest violins in the world.

So now I say, let's celebrate!

No, I'm not referring to your favorite watering hole. Well, not yet anyway. I am referring to how far the bar has been raised for the ukulele as a whole.
I got to thinking this morning about how far the ukulele has come in the past few years and it made me realize that we are witnessing something rather incredible.
I can't think of another instrument, at least in our lifetimes that has gained popularity and quality as fast as our beloved uke. Whether it turns out to be a passing fad or the uke is here to stay, the quality of the the ukes being made and the variety of types of music being played on them has grown so fast that it really is cause for celebration. Even just a few short years ago, being a ukulele builder in the world of luthiery, was considered a second class status. Now days we are seeing even the most well known guitar builders from around the world turning out these little masterpieces. As the summer's instrument festivals pass one by one, such as the GAL convention and the Healdsburg guitar festival, more tables than not contain a uke or two.

I know some have turned their noses to the sudden rush of popularity of the uke and that's ok. If it is a fad, after the dust settles, we that are left will have been a part of a revolution and will find ourselves with more extremely talented players, different varieties of music and ukuleles that rival the finest violins in the world.

I'm with you. How about giving me 75% off one of your beauties as a way to commemorate the occasion? :p

Seriously though, it is really nice that the 'ukulele is getting some respect. Aside from being just a lovely instrument, it's possibly one of the most democratic as well. By that, I mean it's accessible and relatively easy to learn for anyone who has the interest to pick one up.

Now, about that discount ... ;)

Last edited:
And because of this resurgence or quick rise in popularity, the ukulele is not bound by a certain genre of music or build type. In my opinion 100 years of existence is a very short time.

Devine, it's about time you purchase another domain name "Devineukulele.com" LOL

And because of this resurgence or quick rise in popularity, the ukulele is not bound by a certain genre of music or build type. In my opinion 100 years of existence is a very short time.

Devine, it's about time you purchase another domain name "Devineukulele.com" LOL
Very true.
And, I do have devineukuleles.com. It's funny, I've been building mostly ukes for about 10 years but I've had devineguitars.com since day one. Just shows you how much I don't like doing paperwork and admin!

Ha, true.
Q: Occupation?
A: Luthier.
Q: ...Confused look

You probably got that confused look because they thought you were part of a cult!!

You are called a Luthier because you follow the teachings of Martin Luthier....The Luthieran Church!! LOL

I liked it better when I can to explain to people what I did for a living......

One would think that you could just nod, smile and say "I'm Chuck Moore." and leave it there, when asked "What do you do for a living?", no?

Actually, I've never told anyone I was a "Luthier". Especially since I'm a Pescatarian.
It was the "ooooookulele" part that stumped them. Mostly from mainlanders. (Me: "I build ooookes". Them: "Huh?") This is repeated several times and they don't get it until I say "Yuuuuuukes" or "Yuuuuukuleles". If the light bulb still doesn't come on I tell them I'm a wood worker, or more often, to mind their own business.

OK, this seems to be the appropriate place for it:
(Read in the same tone you'd use when you had to apologize for hitting your little brother.)

Eric Devine is the best ukulele builder of all time.

OK? Are we square now? ;)

No, I'm not referring to your favorite watering hole. Well, not yet anyway. I am referring to how far the bar has been raised for the ukulele as a whole...ukuleles that rival the finest violins in the world.

OK, I have to admit, I thought this thread was going to actually be about watering holes.

Now that I am here, however, I'll just add that yes, the bar has been raised, and for that we should give thanks to all the people playing and buying ukuleles. Those on this forum are good examples.

Not only are there innovations on the high end on the spectrum, and more recognition, but it seems to me that the bar has gone up on every level. I'm not an expert on all the manufactured ukuleles - before Southcoast, I was pretty much a vintage guy - but at the Lone Star Festival, what struck me was that the level of intermediate instruments had gone way up as well.

I don't imagine that many of the overseas factories improve their quality solely out of their love of the ukulele. They produce according to demand, and today's players and buyers are demanding better.

Thanks to you guys! (and yes, let's celebrate!)

Last edited:
OK, I have to admit, I thought this thread was going to actually be about watering holes.

Now that I am here, however, I'll just add that yes, the bar has been raised, and for that we should give thanks to all the people playing and buying ukuleles. Those on this forum are good examples.

Not only are there innovations on the high end on the spectrum, and more recognition, but it seems to me that the bar has gone up on every level. I'm not an expert on all the manufactured ukuleles - before Southcoast, I was pretty much a vintage guy - but at the Lone Star Festival, what struck me was that the level of intermediate instruments had gone way up as well.

I don't imagine that many of the overseas factories improve their quality solely out of their love of the ukulele. They produce according to demand, and today's players and buyers are demanding better.

Thanks to you guys! (and yes, let's celebrate!)

My point exactly.

Top Bottom